Next Generation Thoughts

Are you planning on getting either console within a year of their release?

• Yes - PS5

Votes: 15 30.6%
  • Yes - Xbox Series X

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Yes - Both

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Neither

Votes: 23 46.9%
  • Unsure

Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters
Has anyone had any type of issues running digital copies of Shenmue 3 or Ghost of Tsushima on PS5? I know some games aren't backwards compatible and many are super glitchy. Anyone have personal experience with these two? Thanks!
Haven't got a PS5 but pretty much every game is backward compatible. Also, Digital Foundry had a video which stated Ghost of Tsushima is probably the best BC game to play on the PS5...

£70 for bog standard releases does take the piss. I've ordered a PS5 but no games to go with it - Astro will keep me busy for a while but I have a ton of PS4 games to play with enhancements in the meantime.

Great set up, but the PS5 from this angle at least, looks like a VCR wrapped partially in white paper :D

Thanks. Yeah the curved fins don’t look especially appealing in its horizontal orientation. With that said if it remains to be whisper quiet it will be a big improvement over my extremely loud PS4 Pro.

Not the best picture but here's my setup. You can't see the PS4 but it's on the bottom shelf standing up. All the shelves are the same size and I find it so hard the PS5 is not going to fit standing up, which it won't. Will have to lay it down but as soon as a smaller one is released, I'm probably going to get it.

Just make sure you have at least 10cm of space on all sides of machine and that should be sufficient in terms of getting enough ventilation and letting heat disperse from the back.

£70 for bog standard releases does take the piss. I've ordered a PS5 but no games to go with it - Astro will keep me busy for a while but I have a ton of PS4 games to play with enhancements in the meantime.

Astro Boy is really short. Even with collectables and secrets I would be surprised in folks clock in more than 5-6 hours. It’s been fun to revisit games that see a boost to performance. For example I’ve been replying Killzone Shadow Fall and it feels great at locked 60FPS and of course there’s titles part of PS Plus Collection likes Days Gone I never played that I can experience with PS5 enhancements.

I have never bought a collectors edition of anything. The one true regret of not doing so however, was Working Designs Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete. Not only was the game decent (Basically anything Working Designs did that I am of was gold, much like Rare for Nintendo.), but it had a wonderful Collectors Edition that included a booklet, a cloth map and quite a few other extras. I am not sure of the price of it at the time, but I am quite sure it is worth a pretty penny right now.

$70 as the norm for a game now is not great, especially when you factor in many of them not even being complete upon purchase, charge for extra content that should of been included for that high starting price tag to begin with, may have loot crates to make the game uneven and even ads, which may not even show up at first so their initial review scores will be better, but later push them onto the players as a forced update.

If you were playing a game for free I could understand all that. But something you actually paid for? No. And some people will argue that the patches makes the game better. Well of course they do. But the game should of been complete before it was sold to the public. And a game half broken is not guaranteed to be fixed.

I have never bought a collectors edition of anything. The one true regret of not doing so however, was Working Designs Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete. Not only was the game decent (Basically anything Working Designs did that I am of was gold, much like Rare for Nintendo.), but it had a wonderful Collectors Edition that included a booklet, a cloth map and quite a few other extras. I am not sure of the price of it at the time, but I am quite sure it is worth a pretty penny right now.

$70 as the norm for a game now is not great, especially when you factor in many of them not even being complete upon purchase, charge for extra content that should of been included for that high starting price tag to begin with, may have loot crates to make the game uneven and even ads, which may not even show up at first so their initial review scores will be better, but later push them onto the players as a forced update.

If you were playing a game for free I could understand all that. But something you actually paid for? No. And some people will argue that the patches makes the game better. Well of course they do. But the game should of been complete before it was sold to the public. And a game half broken is not guaranteed to be fixed.
Lunar: Eternal Blue Complete's Collector's set for the PSX (as the Saturn only had it in Japan, thus WD wasn't involved) was even more ridiculous, with bromides and a whole slew of other things.

I would have to think that it would be north of $1,000.00, if someone were selling it complete, today.

This just means I'll be waiting for a lot of games to drop down in price. My brother and I split the cost of most games but
The top shelf is the best shelf.
I was even considering drilling new holes and moving the shelf up slightly. On the top I think it may look a little weird. Like an oversized spire on a building.

I actually have the PSOne (and the PS1). I bought it because I thought I would get the screen attachment and possibly play it out in the field. But the screen as I recall was not that cheap, although they did have third party ones as well or did later anyway and the batter life was not that great. And it simply would be too inconvenient to lug around in my rucksack and god forbid the Bradley rubs against a tree and destroys the contents inside my rucksack. :eek:

So I simply stuck with the Gameboy Advance for when going out in the field and when I had some down time. Others had the Gameboy SP which in hindsight would of been a better choice for field duty, especially out in a desert. But since I tend not to buy the same thing twice just because it is slightly different (ignore the PS1 and PSOne :sneaky:) I never bought it till years later. But the SP had the flip cover to protect it better. I believe it had wireless to make multiplayer easier and it had a back light, which was the real reason I bought mine years later when I did.

Yea... as much as I would of loved to of had the PSOne screen attachment, it simply would not of been practical. Plus it did not have the option for link cables which was a big thing for games like Command & Conquer Red Alert Retaliation. Now you want to hear of a pretty cool idea... the PS1's Pocket Station. It only came out in Japan, even though they did initially have plans to sell in the US. But the thing was so popular in Japan the memory card with the screen accessory sold out.

I assume they did not make more because it and the PS1 was still so popular, that they wanted to push the PS2 which was their new baby. There were a few games you could save to it and then take with you on the go like a portable and play it to level up and find secrets that only using it would allow for outside the main game. Final Fantasy 8 comes to mind. When I went to Japan I bought one, but later found it had dead pixels. Next time I go I will find a better one. The Dreamcast used a similar memory card.

Yeah, the Pocket Station looks neat and I wish we got it here in the states. Love the Dreamcast VMU just wish it had better battery life.

Yeah, the Pocket Station looks neat and I wish we got it here in the states. Love the Dreamcast VMU just wish it had better battery life.
I was heart broken when it was announced we would not receive the Pocket Station. I can not remember if I preordered one or not, I know I certainly would of bought a few of them for sure regardless. One of the greastest gaming tragedies in our modern times in my opinion. Such a shame.

Thrill Kill- Just the killings

Speaking of gaming tragedies... anyone remember Thrill Kill? A four person fighting death match game, completely made or basically was. Practically ready to ship. And then canceled due to violence. Only good thing about that, another game or two came out because of it's cancelation, although they could of came out regardless and I think one was Wu-Tang Shaolin Style or something like that.

AVGN's take on the game.

Same thing with Resident Evil: Survivor. The game itself may of been wonky, but the light gun would of made up for it in spades. Alas the game was shipped, but without the light gun feature. What a bummer. Would of been a more methodical House of the Dead in my opinion.

I managed to order a PS5 today (delivery mid December).
My god, that was annoying. I had like 10 different online stores open in my tabs
because they announced that there will be some PS5 consoles available on EU launch day (just ordering, not in stock)
so i spammed refresh since midnight, some of the shops were already broken / offline at that time
so i went to bed, woke up at 7 am. The broken sites worked again but the PS5 was already gone on those sites,
i refreshed the other sites and now some of them were broken too, great,
but i found one site that already had a hidden link for the PS5 order, it just didnt work yet.
I focused just on that one site and refreshed it for 90 minutes (like every minute), then the link suddenly worked,
i ordered it in like 8 seconds and got my order confirmation on my account and per email.
I refreshed the store site again 60 seconds later and the PS5 was already sold out again.
That was super fun
218.png

I think the whole limited stock thing to start has only done more harm than good...I think if consoles were not sold online at all and you had to go to a store to get one, it might solve a lot of scalper issues.

I think the whole limited stock thing to start has only done more harm than good...I think if consoles were not sold online at all and you had to go to a store to get one, it might solve a lot of scalper issues.
Scalpers would just go old school then. There were scalpers before the internet after all. But yes I get your point. It would not be as easy without the internet. Even if the rule was one or two consoles max per customer, once the two were bought they would simply get back in line. If the store manager cared to he would refuse them, but then the scalper would just use a brother or a sister and the process continues till all the consoles are sold and then it is off to another store. This would involve much more work though on the part of the scalper. But since they are getting double or more on their returns, waiting in line for a while is not that big of a deal to them.

Then again, why pay more for a console or really anything to begin with? That is the gamers/consumers to blame more than anyone else. If no one was willing to pay the high price increases, scalpers would really have no reason to do what they do. I for one would not pay more than it is sold for normally. Even if it was just $50 more, I would just go without until the price was normal again. In some instances, scalpers are left with product they actually have to sell cheaper than normal because they have a bunch of stuff they can not get rid of.

Yep, if people didn't buy from scalpers at stupid prices, that's the issue solved right there. Also, don't know how much they are even to blame. I don't remember a console launch, especially next to Christmas, where the console wasn't sold out.
Some manufactures will also purposely make a certain amount of product in low quantities to sell out and then claim demand was so high they could not keep up with it and drum interest in their product. Nintendo has done this more than once.

/\ also releasing near christmas is evil :censored: i feel sorry for the parents who will be forced to pay extra to get a next gen console for their kid. one website i go on, they have a classifieds section and people are asking upto £750 for a digital ps5! - the moderators on that website are working over time, removing angry comments and even negative emoji's :ROFLMAO:

ive given up trying to get a ps5 till next earily year.. hopefully by then, there will be a drop in price on secondhand ps5 games.. no way i'm paying £50/60 per game, new.

This "pre order" stuff really is a nightmare.
Even some people who were able to order a PS5 yesterday received an email in the evening
or today in the morning where the shops apologized and canceled the order.
Their systems were so overloaded that some people were able to buy consoles by refreshing again and again
even tho the stock was already at 0.
Other shops that took pre orders and said that they will be available on launch day
are now saying that not all people will actually get them on launch day.
Some shops are so overloaded that there is a huge delay in communication.
And the couple of PS5 consoles that were available yesterday were the last batch for this year.
The whole contingent for 2020 in this country / region is now sold out.
Happy Christmas to all the parents who are trying to buy one between now and December 24.

Well it is not only consoles this time.

I am upgrading my pc since it kinda broke a month ago and I think I will not have a new graphics card until next year, maybe February. The latest RTX situation is also quite bad.

This "pre order" stuff really is a nightmare.
Even some people who were able to order a PS5 yesterday received an email in the evening
or today in the morning where the shops apologized and canceled the order.
Their systems were so overloaded that some people were able to buy consoles by refreshing again and again
even tho the stock was already at 0.
Other shops that took pre orders and said that they will be available on launch day
are now saying that not all people will actually get them on launch day.
Some shops are so overloaded that there is a huge delay in communication.
And the couple of PS5 consoles that were available yesterday were the last batch for this year.
The whole contingent for 2020 in this country / region is now sold out.
Happy Christmas to all the parents who are trying to buy one between now and December 24.
Well it is not only consoles this time.

I am upgrading my pc since it kinda broke a month ago and I think I will not have a new graphics card until next year, maybe February. The latest RTX situation is also quite bad.

Is it due to the pandemic or just poor oversight? Perhaps parts and man power this time around may be due to what is going on. That is the excuse everyone else uses anyway these days. Then again it may just be a tactic like I said Nintendo has used in the past more than once. However not sure about the PC graphics card issue, unless they are putting manpower and parts for consoles. I am not really sure how all that works.

Back