New Shenmue 3 Video Featuring Fishing

I have to be honest though, opening drawers and finding random shit (particularly when it had a point; like milk in the fridge, a flashlight, batteries, a phone book, photographs etc.) was amazing in Shenmue 1. I'm glad Yu Suzuki has expanded that element of the game.

My only gripe is that you dont actually pick the items up and rotate them.

Agreed - that's quite a letdown, lack of real interaction. Maybe would have liked less drawers but more interaction...we'll see.
Its weird because I think a common complaint from recent previews has been that you have to pick items up before they go into your inventory yet Ive never seen Ryo pick up anything in Shenmue 3 lol.

You cant even rotate the gacha toys in Ryo's hand which tbh I find really strange. Surely it would not have been much work to have that feature but oh well. Shenmue 3 is almost here, thats what matters

Last edited:
Its weird because I think a common complaint from recent previews has been that you have to pick items up before they go into your inventory yet Ive never seen Ryo pick up anything in Shenmue 3 lol.

You cant even rotate the gacha toys in Ryo's hand which tbh I find really strange. Surely it would not have been much work to have that feature but oh well. Shenmue 3 is almost here, thats what matters
From what I've seen so far and the snippets of info I've gleaned, it appears animations were a bit of a challenge with the project and budget. They already have the models, so something like being able to rotate and view the items would suffice for me over seeing Ryo's hand in the viewer. It's a relatively small thing on the surface, but it was part of the intrigue in the first Shenmue in terms of Japan and it's culture being new to many of us. Beggars can't be choosers I guess.

You ain't been herb pickin', man? He literally grasps the plant and rips it from the ground, with a very satisfying sound of roots tearing. Anyway...we can say 'it wouldn't have been too much work for this, it wouldn't have been too much work for that'... clearly it was too much work, lines had to be drawn due to time and budget, and there you have it.

You ain't been herb pickin', man? He literally grasps the plant and rips it from the ground, with a very satisfying sound of roots tearing. Anyway...we can say 'it wouldn't have been too much work for this, it wouldn't have been too much work for that'... clearly it was too much work, lines had to be drawn due to time and budget, and there you have it.
I think we all understand that and are just voicing our appreciation for the little things which is what Shenmue is all about. Aside from the possible jarring cuts between "cinematics", lack of interactivity with some items, and animation quirks the critisms are relatively minor with the majority of longterm fans. Most things will probably be overlooked by us as we get lost in the other cool nuances Yu added in place.

You can't look at capsule toys, so there probably isn't any mechanic for it. But to be fair, all the drawers we've seen so far have been in other people's houses or in shops. It'd be pretty rude for Ryo to just start grabbing stuff!

That arcade game right in front of Ryo looks like it's titled "Highway Star" and it has a steering wheel. Could that be an Outrun clone?
Nah, it’s a mechanical game with a little metal car you move side to side over a scrolling background. It’s in a different trailer.

Back