Movies that every Shenmue Fan Should watch during Quarantine

Sergeynest

Keep your Mind as clear as a Polished Mirror.
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Plague of Tale Requiem
Hi everyone, I decided to create this thread because as we all know most of us must be in Quarantine due to the current pandemic situation, so I though it might be a good idea for everyone to share a their personal opinion of what movies a Shenmue fan should watch during quarantine.

Here is my personal top 10 list of movies that I think every Shenmue fan should watch and why:

Nº 1 - NO RETREAT NO SURRENDER 1986

Personally, I if there is one movie that embodies the spirit of Shenmue, is this one.
Just by watching the inicial scene it is impossible not to be reminded of Shenmue, not to mention many other similarities like the dialogue, the story, and the comedy. If you never watched this movie I highly recomend you do so because it will certainly remind you of Shenmue.

Nº 2 - LITTLE BIG TROUBLE IN CHINA 1986

If one of the reasons you love Shenmue is because of the story, its chinese myths and legends, then I highly recomend you to watch or re-watch Little big trouble in China. This was one of my favourite movies as a teenager and like Shenmue it also became a cult classic with thousands of fans worldwide.

Nº 3 - BLOOSPORT 1988

This was also one of my favourite movies during my teenager years. Like in Shenmue 2, this movie also takes place in Hong Kong and Kowloon and whenever I play the game it always reminds me of this movie. They have so much in common that I believe that this movie inspired Yu Suzuki in the creation of Shenmue 2.

Nº 4 - SNAKE IN THE EAGLE'S SHADOW 1978

This one is one of the greatest Chinese Martial Arts classics featuring the great Jackie Chan. I particularly recomend this one to those whom like me enjoy watching old Chinese Martial Arts movies and this one in particular will definitely remind you of Master Sun's training in Shenmue 3.

Nº 5 - THE GRANDMASTER 2013

One of the best if not best Martial Arts movie I watched in recent years, It tells the life story of Bruce Lee's martial arts master Ip Man, it features a lot of different Chinese martial arts including Shenmue's Baji Quan, we even get to see Ryo's elbow assault in this one. I not only recomend it to every Shenmue fan but if I could I would also Highly recomend it to Yu Suzuki because it would certainly inspire him in the cutscenes for Shenmue 4 because of its amazing cinematography.

Nº 6 - Karate Kid 1984 / 2010 "The Classic and the Recent"

The Classic is one of the greatest Classics of my generation, the Recent a great recreation and reinvention of the Classic.
I chose these two because of the special bond between Student and Master, something that I believe is still lacking in the Shenmue series, I would love to see Ryo have a deep and meaningfull relation with a Martial Arts master like in these movies, Shenmue 4 would certainly be the perfect game in the series for this to happen. Fingers Crossed.

Nº 7 - BRUCE LEE'S 1972 - THE WAY OF THE DRAGON

Any movie of the greatest movie star and martial artist in the world could be in this top 10 list, but I choose the Way of the Dragon because of Bruce Lee's fight with Chuck Norris, for me one of the greatest if not the greatest fight in Martial Arts movie history and of course also because of the litten kitten that appears in the fight that always reminds of the original Shenmue.

Nº 8 - CROUCHING TIGER HIDDEN DRAGON

Almost everyone must have watched this movie by now, but I believe it is a great time to rewatch it. It features also great cinematography and if you are like me and love the ancient tales of Shenmue's story and its mystical elements then you are in for a great time. Watching this movie always reminds me of the Sword of Seven Stars and why Yu Suzuki must maintain the mystical elements in Shenmue and not cut them of from the series.

Nº 9 - KURO OBI 2007

This is by far the best Karate movie that I have ever seen. This movie has all the ingretiens to become a Martial Arts cult classic, a great story, a great soundtrack, great fight scenes and it reminds me specially of what Iwao wrotte in his letter to Ryo that a man in life must follow his convitions even if he has to fight and die defendind them.

Nº 10 - SHAOLIN 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUF8_EhO6vU

I came across this movie while macking this list and haven't watched it yet but from what i've seen i'm most definitely going to do so.
The fact that it tells a story about Shaolin Monks caught my eye and that is also one of the things that I would love to see in the Shenmue series with Ryo joining a Shaolin temple, living, learning and training martial arts with other students, making new friends and and new allies to aid him in the fight against the Chi You Men. That would indeed be great.

So, this is my Top 10 movie recomendations that I make to all Shenmue fans during this current unfortunate situation.
And you, share your thoughts and recomendations on the movies that you like that remind you of the Shenmue series.

Costner's Robin Hood, no joking (father dies, Freeman=Ren, Sherwood forest=Guilin)

36th chamber of Shaolin: slow-paced, basically works like a video game and the character is constantly learning.

Some great choices here! As a cinéphile, I love all kinds of films from the grottiest of grindhouse to the artiest of splendours. As Shenmue in many ways is a calming game, I highly recommend the calm works of Hirokazu Kore-eda such as 'Shoplifters', but especially 'Our Little Sister' (my 2nd favourite film of the 2010's). It's the equivalent of a warm hug <3

Very interesting, the trailer really caught my attention. Seems to be a very emotional movie with great moments.
Don't know the movie director but seems to be on the same style as my favorite japanese movie director Yoji Yamada.
I don't know if you know him but he is the director of my favorite Samurai movies, they also have amazing soundracks composed by the great Isao Tomita.
All of these movies have strong and emotional love stories with an amazing cast of characters
Don't know if you or other Shenmue fans have already seen them but i'm leaving their movie trailers below:

THE TWILIGHT SAMURAI 2011

THE HIDDEN BLADE 2004

LOVE AND HONOR 2006

Just to name two examples. Tai Chi Master with Jet Li, Michelle Yeoh,... I liked the Shaolin Kung Fu vibe and how some of that philosophy is incorporated. I also liked the music which added to that feeling. From serene to fast paced during well done fighting scenes. At least in the Chinese version. I seem to remember that a dubbed version replaced it with more "generic Asian music for Western audiences".

Being in the Shenmue 3 subforum got me thinking of this one : The Legend of Drunken Master with Jackie Chan. A bit more focus on comedy but also great fighting.

Both have made other good movies during their Hong Kong days though.

Well I know what I'm watching this weekend!

I feel like people need a little taste if they haven't heard of it.

I watched it a few weeks ago and I was dumbfounded by it's awfulness. I gave it 1/5 but also a "loved" rating. I think the only other films I felt that way were "Night of the bloody apes" and "Zombie Lake". Based on the clip above, I think Suzuki was taking notes. And I mean that in the best possible way.

While I think about it, I own this on blu-ray...it's actually not as terrible as I wanted it to be! I do love some good old Italian rip-off films :D

Jet Li's The Master always reminded me of Shenmue II. He plays a young martial artist that goes to a country he's never been to before. He even gets his bag stolen at the start of the movie.

The Iceman Cometh with Yuen Biao is a unique martial arts and fantasy movie that gives me some Shenmue vibes.

The Iceman Cometh with Yuen Biao is a unique martial arts and fantasy movie that gives me some Shenmue vibes.

The Iceman Cometh GIF - TheIceman Cometh BatmanForever GIFs

I came across this old chinese martial arts movie and from what I've seen so far it has a lot of similarities with Shenmue 3, in fact it is impossible to watch it and not be reminded of Shenmue 3,; the characters, the martial arts training, etc... I really suggest that you guys check it out, it is totally worth it.

Watch this Martial Arts training sequence from the movie that starts at 02:37 and I guarantee that it will remind you of
Shenmue 3.
This will be Ryo's training in Shenmue 4 :ROFLMAO: :love:

Back