Modern Games are boring?! Not Shenmue!

I'm an old school gamer.... Man I used to game alot....

Anyway I was just thinking I find it a bit funny that I found it absolutely no problem at all to complete Shenmue 3 whereas this year I have played Red Dead Redemption 2, Rise of the Tomb Raider, the new Spider Man and the new metal gear solid and I didn't come anywhere near close to completing them! Honestly sometimes I head scratch when I read some of the reviews about Shenmue?? The last modern game I remember completing was gears of war 1 on xbox....

Anyway I think I'll dabble in Yakuza to try something new. If anyone has any suggestions for other games to try it'd be much appreciated!

Shenmue really isn't boring, Yu said, S3 is like a mirror that reflects the kind of player back to him/herself. And going by how versatile and crazy the variables of enjoyment people find from S3, I believe it. I would not be surprised if Suzuki is 4D chessing everyone, mainstream gamers and press alike with his unique approach to game design.

I'm an old school gamer.... Man I used to game alot....

Anyway I was just thinking I find it a bit funny that I found it absolutely no problem at all to complete Shenmue 3 whereas this year I have played Red Dead Redemption 2, Rise of the Tomb Raider, the new Spider Man and the new metal gear solid and I didn't come anywhere near close to completing them! Honestly sometimes I head scratch when I read some of the reviews about Shenmue?? The last modern game I remember completing was gears of war 1 on xbox....

Anyway I think I'll dabble in Yakuza to try something new. If anyone has any suggestions for other games to try it'd be much appreciated!

Weirdly enough...I’m kind of in the same boat (to some extent)....I’m still very much into gaming...it’s pretty much 90% of my entertainment binge but lately I’ve been REALLY struggling to get into or finish most single player narrative games. I never finished RDR 2 (left it at Chapter 4 — I liked it but just never got around to finishing it), I’m struggling to start Death Stranding...I have it installed to my HDD but for some reason, I just can’t commit to starting it because I just can’t be assed to sit through the tedium of cut scenes that I know I’m gonna have to sit through.

For me, lately, I’ve actually really been into fighting games online. I’ve racked up over 600 hours this year on Tekken 7 online alone.

Yet there are other SP games that get me and won’t let me leave until they’re done —Judgment, Yakuza, Shenmue III, Catherine, FF8 among others from this year alone.

I don’t know what it is but I think a lot of newer games are just becoming too bogged down with telling their story and yanking control away from the player way too often. It’s either long stretches of traversing landscape to get to the mission. Or long sections of in between setting up plot to disguise loading. I feel like most modern day games just either get too bogged down with story telling that they yank away control all too often. And I’m a bit over it.

It’s actually why I’m worried about The Last of Us 2...after Uncharted 4, I feel like TLOU 2 is going to be SOOOO bogged down in telling its story that its going to detract from the actual gameplay.

It’s why I didn’t like the God of War sequel from last year. Way too bogged down with making you feel and little in the way of compelling combat. (that and it neutered the punk rock vibes I loved about the original games in favour of ripping off TLOU)

I don’t know...modern day SP campaigns are more concerned with yanking control from you and telling great story through cut scenes instead of pushing story through gameplay.

And it bugs me. That and I feel like some game directors have a real inferiority complex. It’s like they want to be film directors but got stuck being game directors...and somehow that’s shameful.

So I kind of hear you OP.

new or old?

anyways:

Deadly Premonition
Sleeping Dogs
Rise to Honor
Beatdown: Fists of Vengeance
Rent-A-Hero #1
Shadows of Memories/Destiny
Urban Reign
DreamFall
Shaolin
Shaolin vs Wutang (Steam)

Also have an interest in the upcoming Xuan Yuan Sword VII and Sword and Fairy VII, which are both coming to PS4/PS5 using Unreal Engine 4.

Xuan Yuan Sword VII

Their previous two titles, S&F6 and XYS6, are on PS4/XB1/PC, but since they're kinda older and made more for low end PC, they look dated.

Xuan Yuan Sword 6

Sword & Fairy 6:

Sword & Fairy 4:

The original Sword & Fairy from 1995:

updated remake from last decade I believe:

Last edited:
SHenmue 3 is one of the few games that has really grabbed my attention, I've been playing it for hours a day and haven't really touched anything else since starting it. I'm super pleased that despite some issues with the game, it has so much going for it which just keeps pulling me in day after day. Fairly certain I'm at the end though, but its been a blast.

One of the great things with games though is that there's so much to play. I don't really enjoy Gacha games myself (I played a few, but found I was playing them for the sake of playing them, no fun) and GaaS games are really hit and miss for me as well (Fighters and MHW are basically the only ones I like). But there's a whole load of smaller indie titles that are mainly platformers, action, metroidvania's that I love playing, not to mention all the single player stuff getting put out by certain companies. Capcom and Yakuza especially are my two vices, with both being quality time and time again and steal 100s of hours per year (and looking at next year, that's not gonna change).

I don’t know what it is but I think a lot of newer games are just becoming too bogged down with telling their story and yanking control away from the player way too often. It’s either long stretches of traversing landscape to get to the mission.

Thats exactly how I feel about Witcher 3 despite all the praise it got.
I got totally suckered in by its hype and bought it but OH MY GOD does it get boring as hell. Its painful for me to even try to continue it even though every now and then I try to give it another chance.
Same with MGS V

and I shutter at Death Stranding and its FEDEX hiking simulation loop ugh lol

Same here.

On the week of release, I would try to squeeze in some extra time into Shenmue 3 before heading to work.

Few games released in-between Shenmue 2 & 3 absorbed me to that extent (e.g. Mass Effect, Star Wars: KOTOR, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, Silent Hill 2).

Also surprised the DC version of Rent-a-Hero #1 never got a fan translation all this time. Especially since the Xbox version supposedly was uploaded a long time ago online so the script data is def out there.
Shame we never did get that fan translation of SEGAGAGA though...

We did get a fan translation of Koei's horror game for Dreamcast: Seven Mansions: Ghastly Smile. That was a cool surprise.

Also for PS2: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind.

Gamefaqs has fantastic translation-esque guides for both RaH and SGGG.

I played them back to back in 2011 and I completed both games (albeit, SGGG with only 2% market share, which is the bare minimum you need to beat the game lol) and both those guides served me well (except for the fact that they didn't tell me that C-Man as lead director will cause you to miss the deadline for the final game and you will get a game over as a result :(. That wasted almost 5 hours of my time :().

Gamefaqs has fantastic translation-esque guides for both RaH and SGGG.

I played them back to back in 2011 and I completed both games (albeit, SGGG with only 2% market share, which is the bare minimum you need to beat the game lol) and both those guides served me well (except for the fact that they didn't tell me that C-Man as lead director will cause you to miss the deadline for the final game and you will get a game over as a result :(. That wasted almost 5 hours of my time :().

Thats cool. But we really shoulda had patches of the games by now.

still waiting for Zill O'll patch (PSP version)

Can't play a patched game legitimately thus no go for me.

Call me a stubborn old person (I'm 30 lol) but unless it's the actual disk, I'm not playing it.

I don't pirate anything; hell, I even purchased Propeller Arena, "legitimately."

Can't play a patched game legitimately thus no go for me.

Call me a stubborn old person (I'm 30 lol) but unless it's the actual disk, I'm not playing it.

I don't pirate anything; hell, I even purchased Propeller Arena, "legitimately."

Well I mean technically it could be the actual disc... you just patch it lol
Like, I'm playing a disc of Fatal Frame IV on WIi that was patched as well as Seven Mansions on DC, patched

Back