Modding Shenmue 1 in 2023

modding Shenmue 1 in 2023
Hello everyone,
I have just started playing Shenmue 1 remastered for the first time. I am far from being new to the series as i had played it a couple times on the dreamcast over 20 years ago. The other day I spent hours on Shenmue Dojo and Nexus looking at description of mods and downloading them. I am not new to modding as I have modded the hell out of FO4 and Skyrim. i seem to have come into problems with Special K mod as the dgxi.dll seems to stop the game from loading. I had to find a different dgxi.dll to use because I ended up having the green tint everywhere in the game. to fix it. I have downloaded several reshade mods as well as texture mods but none of them seem to be working in the game. i have switched out the non working dgxi.dll from Special K mod with the working one that i am using to fix my green tint glitch and that doesn't seem to help with my mods working.

I have downloaded the Coke Machine Mod and the machines still say Jet Cola with all the original Jet Cola cans inside the machine. I have downloaded several texture mods as passport jacket upscale Ine-san HD basically every texture mod that has been made. None of them seem to be working.

I have been of course following the directions on where to specifically put the mods. None of the mods have to me to put mods in the "mods" folder. The are going in Sky_res or Archives of Reshade folder.

So it seems that i have wasted hours on modding Shenmue 1 for nothing.
I did download Special K newest mod that is Special K.exe but I don't really understand how yo use it and it still doesn't help on getting my reshade or texture mods to work (i dont think)

I have also downloaded the Reshade app as well and used that for different presets and still no difference in the game.

Please if anyone could please help me out I would really appreciate it. Thanks

So I’m sure someone more knowledgeable than me can chime in, but here is a tutorial video that should be good starting point -

I have seen this video and it doesn't tell me anything. I am using reshade and textures and none of them go into the mods folder.

Last edited:
Are you using Forklift?

My first piece of advice is don't use Special K as its not good for modding Shenmue. The video above doesn't cover Special K for that very reason.

We did do an older one ages back which i think covers it.

I can't use special K because of the dgxi.dll preventing the game to load and the Special K.exe I found I don't really know how to use it. I have forklift but I haven't installed it because none of the mods have told me to use it as I have only been trying to use textures and reshade presets and I cant get those to load. Thanks for the response.

There should be a texture mod for Shenmue 1 and jacket mod via Forklift these days.

Nexus mods has them IIRC

I have went through all the texture mods and none of them say to use forklift. if i over look it please let me know. thanks

I have went through all the texture mods and none of them say to use forklift. if i over look it please let me know. thanks
This is the texture mod that uses Forklift: https://www.nexusmods.com/shenmue/mods/30

It's also in the video linked above.

It does the environments, posters, buildings, vending machines and Ryo's jacket.

If I were you I'd do a clean install and use this & bin off Special K

Thank you for the response. But why am I having problems getting the coke machine mod working as well as the reshade presets. I also want to use the Dreamcast button icons. None of these mods are working. Also how do i bring up the menu to the MISC TOOLS V2.00. I have injected the .dll through Cheat engine Thanks again

If I were you I'd do a clean install and use this & bin off Special K This was said by Spud1897.
What do you mean by bin off of Special. Thanks again for your help. Sorry I tried using the quote icon but it isnt quoting. Not sure how to quote someone

What do you mean by bin off of Special. Thanks again for your help. Sorry I tried using the quote icon but it isnt quoting. Not sure how to quote someone
When I say bin off I mean don't use it and use a clean install and start again using Forklift

Back