Metal Gear

[mod note: merged into a previous MGS thread]

Before @Hiki beats me to the punch lol, I have decided to create a thread about one of my favorite franchises of all time Hideo Kojima's Metal Gear series. While most players started with Metal Gear Solid in 1998, I had started with the original Metal Gear on the Nintendo. Unlike the latter parts of the series, Metal Gear was a simple action game.

I enjoy this series because of its relatable philosophical and political themes, three-dimensional characters, and its evolution of stealth gameplay. The gameplay is engaging especially with the unique boss battles. I mean, what other boss battle can you think of where you can shut off the console to defeat them?

I see the story as one of two men who deal with their inner darkness in different ways that affect the world as a whole. One gives in to his inner darkness and uses it to fight against the world, while the other tries to save it by atoning for the transgressions of the past. The amount of love and detail placed into the series by Kojima is admirable applying real-world elements into his work and makes it entertaining.

I would like to post videos, but I do not want to spoil anything for anyone. So I will simply state that you should look up Max Derrat's YouTube videos on the series as they go into detail about what makes the series so memorable for gamers. I truly hope that not only do we get a remake of the first two games (Metal Gear and Metal Gear II: Solid Snake) but remakes or at least remasters on current-generation systems (especially with Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance). However, I will not hold my breath knowing how Konami is.

So what about you? I welcome all opinions here whether or not you enjoy the series or not. Whether you think the series and its creator, Hideo Kojima is overrated or not. Who knew that a franchise that was originally meant to deconstruct the eighties, action hero would become so infamous in video game history?

MGS, MGSIII and Peace Walker are great.

MGSII it's a narrative disgrace imo.

I'm going to take MGSIV only because I saw what happened to MGSV...

You know what I think of MGSV lol.

Seeing DS, I think Konami was necessary to focus Kojima. He needs someone to tell him "yea... we won't do that".

I used to be a MGS und Kojima Fan in the 90s. His early works Snatcher, Policenauts, MGS 1,2,3 are great games. Still among my favourites. I also thought for a while that Kojima is great creator.

But since MGS 4 he went crazy. MGS 4 was still ok but it did not had wowed me like the last games. MGS 5 was a mess. I tired to play but couldn't. I just cant stand open world games. Especially games that do not work as open world games like MGS.

Death Stranding is also nothing for me.

Well MGS and Kojima are 2 great things from the past I will alwayy cherrish for giving me great experiences in my gaming life but today in 2021 I am not interested in both of them anymore. Because they have changed and are not as they used to be.

Last edited:
Metal Gear are a favorite of mine along with Ico, Yakuza, Resident Evil and Shenmue. In fact, during the darkest days of Shenmue from 2008-2018 I continued obssessive repeat plays on my own but was not involved whatsoever with any communities. MGS was the community I spent most of my time which had a few fellow Shenmue fans as well, which scratched the itch well enough.

Much like Resident Evil, it is a old enough series to have variations and evolutions. Therefor, it is possible to dislike some entries and still consider a favorite overall series. MG1+2 and the MGS trilogy are absolute seminal classics. MGS4 had great gameplay (Kojima or Suzuki or Nagoshi etc are incapable of making games which are not at least fun to play). However, my investment in the plot was lost. Don't like Chai in Shenmue? Might I divert your attention to Johnny--the dumbest fucking waste of breath justified as a fan service. I digress...

Peace Walker was a very nice surprise and love they included in console HD collection. Ground Zeroes was amazing as well despite being a short prologue chapter. Honestly, quite content with playing PW and GZ back-to-back on PS3 and pretending MGS5 doesn't exist. Resigned to the fact I will like the gameplay although neutral to story since Snake's has run dry. Trying to keep open minded, which gives me deja vu with MGS4 because I waited about 4 years to finally play while ignoring the negative noise. Enjoyed the first half of storyline, then only played for fun in second half.

Still haven't played past the first mission of MGS5. Intro was fun and intense, but haven't gone any further, yet. There's only so much you can do with Snake, whether Big Boss or Solid. If they want to go into prequel origin territory, The Boss makes so much better sense to me...

I think the first 3 games were great and then the series kind of took a nosedive when they decided Kojima was the only important guy on the team. All I can say about 4 is that at least it’s not 5 lol. Peace Walker was fun as a bite sized co-op game with a sharp focus at least and lots of humor to fall back on. Platinum did what they could and made a pretty good game with Rising but people are trying to say Kojima deserves all the credit for that one too despite not much involvement.

I tried Death Stranding to give the benefit of the doubt, maybe I was wrong…some interesting ideas but they ultimately fall flat on their face and make a game that will only be decently engaging your first time through and only so long as the online servers stay up. I am sort of glad that there was more story to it again and at least Reedus put in far more effort into acting than Sutherland who just phoned it in, kinda helps that Sam is just more interesting than medic snake. But, as is the issue with some of the other games, the game relies on the story way too much, and much of it is still needlessly convoluted - Kojima doesn’t seem to understand you don’t have to overexplain every little thing to say a lot. It was something MGS3 did very well which makes it all the more confusing when 5 didn’t get it right at all.

Plus everything to do with Amalie just sucks. They try to make her sympathetic but it really doesn’t jive with me at all and I’d have rather had her be some kind of final boss considering she was just using Higgs as a pawn. But then again the combat in general in this game is pretty terrible to begin with which is why I avoided it as much as possible - not something you want to make players do.

Back