Mark's brother or...

Now, BEAR with me -- Polar Bear; Brown Bear; Everyone (Dad puns can be dry, so grab a beer), 'cause this is going deeper than it should...

If you talk with the cafeteria lady (Tomi Maruyama), asking about the Mad Angels, after the first day/tutorial of forklifting, she'll warn Ryo to not mess with them, followed by: "The truth is...my son...oh, forget it..."

This implies (doesn't confirm it, as I'd like to compare it to the Japanese dialogue) that the one who got killed -concrete boots, as Goro said-, was her son Kyohei, and not Mark's brother!

Mark: "Was my brother killed or the guy who leaked the information about the Long-Zha...?"

In her NeoSeeker profile it does confirm that her son died in an "accident" the year prior ('85). But it also refers to him as a "young son", not being specific if a little kid or a teen within Mai's or her hoodlum friends range, who are teens hanging around the harbor, sometimes right in front of the Mad Angels' gates.

Mark also mentions his brother being around Ryo's age, so Kyohei could've been friends with Mark's brother.
Further, it's stated that "Tomi was forced to find another job so they could also support their young son", meaning the kid wasn't old enough to work at the harbor (a minimum of 18), just like Ryo and his co-workers, Tsuyoshi Murakami and Yohei Kondo (18 and 19 respectively).

Perhaps the Long-Zha (big shipment of drugs crossing over from China), was being arranged throughout several months, but Ryo's story makes him come across the tail-end of it, and given Japan's strict rules regarding drugs, it would justify the murder of a witness/insider (although an operation of that scale would obviously grant jail in any country). But why would Mark's brother or the other kid ever want to risk their lives like that?

Edit/Lightbulb: The lady meant that Ryo reminded her of her son, NOT that he got killed by the Mad Angels.

Damn it...

The question about what Mark's brother had to gain from leaking the info still stands (I gotta justify all of ^^^that^^^, right?)
Did Master Chen make a deal with him, since they (Chen and Joy's dad) were the main group (excluding harassed workers) affected by the Long-Zha actually going through?

I don't mind looking like a buffoon or a clown with a balloon, if it means discarding one of the many theories...

And, of course, there's always the possibility of plot inconsistencies either way...

Yes, it’s difficult to know sons age but based on the fact her profile says “who was born late in their marriage” and final line saying she gets misty eyed as Ryo reminds her of her deceased son, indicates it probably unrelated to Long Zha.

With regards to your question, it’s a good one but I don’t know as there isn’t enough information outside speculation that he had a big mouth but maybe someone else can clarify.

Back