Let's discuss the "Dated" angle going around S3 rite now

I loved the marketing for the original Shenmue. I'm not sure what is wrong with it?

Just look at these trailers and then compare it with what they have done with Shenmue 3.

See this is the stuff. I get this! It makes sense, it's artsy, edgy and new for the time and it flows. This is why I can't get the utter nonsense we've gotten so far.

I quite enjoyed the narrative of the trailer and thought that the end reveal worked nicely too. It’s looking like Mr. Muscles will be the main antagonist of the game and so it stands to reason that the trailer would focus around him and his goons.

While it might have benefited from some faster cuts and a bit more king fu to make it exciting, my real gripe with the trailer was that they didn’t tidy up the lip syncing and that they opted to put Mr. triangle mouth front and center in a few of the shots.

The b-roll footage on the other hand was a joke. That they opted to showcase the things they did on an old build of the game seems nonsensical to me.

I honestly think he may not be an antagonist.

See this is the stuff. I get this! It makes sense, it's artsy, edgy and new for the time and it flows. This is why I can't get the utter nonsense we've gotten so far.

Sega was always a great marketer (and still is, somewhat); that alone would've helped, with their involvement...

I honestly think he may not be an antagonist.

He either is or he's a disc 1 boss who becomes an afterthought and/or joins up with you, after you beat him.

Sega was always a great marketer (and still is, somewhat); that alone would've helped, with their involvement...

He either is or he's a disc 1 boss who becomes an afterthought and/or joins up with you, after you beat him.

I can see something like this. Like he might be some sort of local thug who then help you afterward for reasons.

Same for the two guys we saw. They look too goofy to be some sort of serious antagonists.

Sounds better if you say "some avant-garde ideas from the mind of a Japanese video game auteur",.

Yeah, I’m not so sure it does...

I agree re. Mr Muscles. No chance he’s one of the main antagonists.

Not entirely accurate though, as we have seen Death Stranding gameplay. I'm really looking forward to DS and in general am a big fan of Kojima's output, so to describe his work as "some weird fancy stuff that Comes directly out of the mind of weird japanese dude", seems somewhat belittling to the man. But hey, each to their own.

Might be a bit harsh, but Death Stranding is overated. We just saw random cut Scenes that do not make any sense. The gameplay we saw was just some running and some fighting sequenes. Nothing to be hyped about. I used to like Kojima, but his games got way too crazy for me. Since MGS 4 the man is out of controll somehow.

But tastes are different. If some People like the weird Death Stranding fine for me.

I never said they wouldn't do anything. In fact I'm quite hopeful and I wish they would do.

But I explained why it's a different situation with Judgement.

As another poster said, you have to play the game and search for walkthroughs to find those subpar NPCs. Even then, they dont look out of place either because they're not janky. They animated consistently. Not good. But consistently. They dont have some weird behaviour.

In the case of Shenmue III though... Let's be honest.
The trailers have done a terrible job selling what Shenmue is all about for the most part. And the gameplay we saw had some super janky stuff, like that lady's arm that seem to be twisted or paralyzed.

The trailers have done a poor job selling this game to others than fans, perhaps, yes. However that is not really the graphics or animation, more the lack of story though I think they do some rights too (like the masters speech about Kung fu), what's missing is a who and why Ryo.

What I fail to see the point of is you (and others here) are imploding over this. The negativity and the intensity of your criticism are way out. You said yourself that you hope they will do something in the extra time, why cause yourself an ulcer while waiting? Besides, as others have pointed out, NPCs gets different treatment. And I for one am not really fussed with what you keep nagging on (and on and on and on and on) about, the inconsistency. Heck, give us polished main characters and some good NPCs and that is plenty! Apologies for sounding angry but I have had it with the seemingly endless whining.

The trailers have done a poor job selling this game to others than fans, perhaps, yes. However that is not really the graphics or animation, more the lack of story though I think they do some rights too (like the masters speech about Kung fu), what's missing is a who and why Ryo.

What I fail to see the point of is you (and others here) are imploding over this. The negativity and the intensity of your criticism are way out. You said yourself that you hope they will do something in the extra time, why cause yourself an ulcer while waiting? Besides, as others have pointed out, NPCs gets different treatment. And I for one am not really fussed with what you keep nagging on (and on and on and on and on) about, the inconsistency. Heck, give us polished main characters and some good NPCs and that is plenty! Apologies for sounding angry but I have had it with the seemingly endless whining.

Yeah, I think my post came off as a misunderstanding.

I'll make it clear: In it's current state, I'm definitely satisfied with how Shenmue III looks and play. Anything more is totally a bonus at this point, for me.

The way NPCs look, the way Ryo looks, the animations. I'm totally fine with them and I can definitely overlook the few jankiness here and there.

Same for the trailers. I honestly dont care anymore, I'm sold since the Magic 2019 trailer.

So I'm neither angry or whining, it's the total opposite. I'm perfectly satisfied with the result so far.

Unfortunately, and as I said before, it's not about me. It's about the game. You dont need to sell me on Shenmue III. I was sold the moment it was just a logo, without knowing anything of what we may get later.
I know what makes Shenmue good. I know why I want to go back.

But it's about the game and the others. Because I love the serie, I want others to also love it. I want to share it with as many people as possible. I dont want to keep Shenmue for myself, jealousily keeping it away from others.

And that's why you're seeing my posts about where the game needs to improve and what's wrong with it. Because I know people will focus on this. And I dont want the game to suffer that stigma of a "broken game".

Judgement is a game with a lot of jank. First of all, it's reusing the same Yakuza map. Again. NPCs arent dubbed. Again. Heck their animations and modelisations are subpar too.

Yet people are sold on the game. Why ? Because the trailers focus on showing the good looking stuff. The cool looking stuff. They're showing good looking battles against multiple mobs and high level techniques, they're showing major story bits and they're throwing epic or cool music behind it. And most of all, they did their best to hide the jank. When looking at those trailers, you cant tell NPCs arent voiced or that they look bad. Because the camera doesn't focus on them.

Why people aren't sold on Shenmue III ? Because many trailers either focus on cryptic story bits that only means something to us. Or because the gameplay shown so far focused on the least exciting mini games... And a combat that might be one of the very first you do in the game, to level up. And on top of that, no music.

You and I know that what was shown isn't what makes Shenmue exciting for us. We like those mini games, but these arent the selling feature of that serie. And I feel like the problem is that they're failing to convey that Shenmue atmosphere to newcomers. The beauty, the atmosphere, the action, the living world.

What you perceive as whining is basically me wanting people to see Shenmue at its best. I want people to see what makes it great.

Why some People Keep calling Shenmue 3 janky Looking? This not fair. There are other way more janky games than S3 but that are not being called janky. Played the first Life is Strange again. It is a great game but the graphics are worse than S3. Let alone, the character design, and the dead eyes Syndrom as well.

But somhow People do not care About it, but care About it in Shenmue. Why is that? Why is shenmue judged way harsher than other games that are new ip?

Why some People Keep calling Shenmue 3 janky Looking? This not fair. There are other way more janky games than S3 but that are not being called janky. Played the first Life is Strange again. It is a great game but the graphics are worse than S3. Let alone, the character design, and the dead eyes Syndrom as well.

But somhow People do not care About it, but care About it in Shenmue. Why is that? Why is shenmue judged way harsher than other games that are new ip?

Well yeah, as I said before, there are a lot of games, including AAA games that suffers from jankiness. The problem is though, back when Shenmue III was announced as a kickstarter, a lot of people were already set that it could only be a failure.

And well... There's also the 2017 teaser, which IMO hurted the game a lot. Since then, it's like people always have this in mind and cant shake off the idea that Shenmue III looks bad. For them, it's automatic. Despite the improvements, they'll focus on the janky parts. It doesn't help that Deep Silver and YsNet gives them a lot of ammo with those gameplay and trailer segments. I feel like they should be choosing more carefully.

And well... There's also the 2017 teaser, which IMO hurted the game a lot. Since then, it's like people always have this in mind and cant shake off the idea that Shenmue III looks bad. For them, it's automatic. Despite the improvements, they'll focus on the janky parts. It doesn't help that Deep Silver and YsNet gives them a lot of ammo with those gameplay and trailer segments. I feel like they should be choosing more carefully.

I agree, it was that 2017 teaser with creepy faces that stick in people’s minds. That was a definite mistake. A 2017 trailer focusing on the environments with characters in the distance would’ve been a better idea. Although once Ys Net release some footage with nice facial animation (which has yet to happen), I feel the ‘janky’ comments will start to disappear.

I agree, it was that 2017 teaser with creepy faces that stick in people’s minds. That was a definite mistake. A 2017 trailer focusing on the environments with characters in the distance would’ve been a better idea. Although once Ys Net release some footage with nice facial animation (which has yet to happen), I feel the ‘janky’ comments will start to disappear.

I honestly dont think it'll happen. What we saw so far is more or less what we're getting when it comes to facial animations. What I expect though is them going back to some scenes and animations to fix some janky looking stuff.

All these bums winning big money through a lottery ticket, young tech billionaires and people who have made hundreds of millions in art, music sport etc. Not a single one of them are Shenmue fans? If I won one of those crazy lotteries, like £100m, first thing I am doing after financially securing my families future is remaking Shenmue 1 and 2 and giving Shenmue 3 a decent budget.

I remember that when the 2017 trailer came out Shibuyas logo wasnt on it.

They thought it was too soon to show anything.

I understand the game looks janky, it definitely looks totally janky. Unfortunately, I think it's a sacrifice they're having to make because they only have so many resources and it's not feasible to have the scale they want while still having the level of fidelity for a lot of the individual elements of the game. To be frank, even what we have now is a huge improvement to what we had seen of the game before and I am definitely glad to see it retain such a huge amount of its Shenmue essence.

I have to admit though, a lot of the marketing and PR behind Shenmue 3 has been pretty terrible. Shibuya Productions seems like a very small company not suited to handle a project as anticipated as this, and hasn't done a lot to promote the game to people outside of the diehard Shenmue circle. Despite all this, I still really HATE the fact that all of journalist's are dismissing this as "dated". The level of polish in the first 2 Shenmue games is way higher than this, it isn't dated. It's understandably low budget, but not dated.

Yeah, I think my post came off as a misunderstanding.

I'll make it clear: In it's current state, I'm definitely satisfied with how Shenmue III looks and play. Anything more is totally a bonus at this point, for me.

The way NPCs look, the way Ryo looks, the animations. I'm totally fine with them and I can definitely overlook the few jankiness here and there.

Same for the trailers. I honestly dont care anymore, I'm sold since the Magic 2019 trailer.

So I'm neither angry or whining, it's the total opposite. I'm perfectly satisfied with the result so far.

Unfortunately, and as I said before, it's not about me. It's about the game. You dont need to sell me on Shenmue III. I was sold the moment it was just a logo, without knowing anything of what we may get later.
I know what makes Shenmue good. I know why I want to go back.

But it's about the game and the others. Because I love the serie, I want others to also love it. I want to share it with as many people as possible. I dont want to keep Shenmue for myself, jealousily keeping it away from others.

And that's why you're seeing my posts about where the game needs to improve and what's wrong with it. Because I know people will focus on this. And I dont want the game to suffer that stigma of a "broken game".

Judgement is a game with a lot of jank. First of all, it's reusing the same Yakuza map. Again. NPCs arent dubbed. Again. Heck their animations and modelisations are subpar too.

Yet people are sold on the game. Why ? Because the trailers focus on showing the good looking stuff. The cool looking stuff. They're showing good looking battles against multiple mobs and high level techniques, they're showing major story bits and they're throwing epic or cool music behind it. And most of all, they did their best to hide the jank. When looking at those trailers, you cant tell NPCs arent voiced or that they look bad. Because the camera doesn't focus on them.

Why people aren't sold on Shenmue III ? Because many trailers either focus on cryptic story bits that only means something to us. Or because the gameplay shown so far focused on the least exciting mini games... And a combat that might be one of the very first you do in the game, to level up. And on top of that, no music.

You and I know that what was shown isn't what makes Shenmue exciting for us. We like those mini games, but these arent the selling feature of that serie. And I feel like the problem is that they're failing to convey that Shenmue atmosphere to newcomers. The beauty, the atmosphere, the action, the living world.

What you perceive as whining is basically me wanting people to see Shenmue at its best. I want people to see what makes it great.

Take a look at your posting history, mate. You might not mean to (I'll give you that) but at every turn of discussion, almost any topic lately SIII wise, you're there writing negative things. So you come across as whining. And rather entitled. It gets old and it sucks the energy out of discussion. Now, as said, that might not be your intention so fair play.

When it comes to the marketing we agree. The content in the marketing, the angle, the pace. It isn't selling to a wider audience. We all want the saga to continue and eventually reach an end, and money plays a huge part in that. What isn't productive tho, imo, is the compulsive nitpicking at this stage. That said, again, here at the Dojo we can talk about this without resorting to what you see elsewhere, "fans" cursing at Yu for example. However, bear in mind that those very people will gladly jump any opportunity to yell about "outdated" or "inconsistent".

Now I am not convinced that is all bad though, tbh. Shenmue ISN'T your standard mainstream game. It never was, it probably won't ever be with the budget it is being made on. That is fine. Is it ideal? No, we all would have liked to have near unlimited resources, for Yu to complete it exactly as he wanted. That ain't the case and maybe we should all calm down a bit and discuss it as is.

Take a look at your posting history, mate. You might not mean to (I'll give you that) but at every turn of discussion, almost any topic lately SIII wise, you're there writing negative things. So you come across as whining. And rather entitled. It gets old and it sucks the energy out of discussion. Now, as said, that might not be your intention so fair play.

When it comes to the marketing we agree. The content in the marketing, the angle, the pace. It isn't selling to a wider audience. We all want the saga to continue and eventually reach an end, and money plays a huge part in that. What isn't productive tho, imo, is the compulsive nitpicking at this stage. That said, again, here at the Dojo we can talk about this without resorting to what you see elsewhere, "fans" cursing at Yu for example. However, bear in mind that those very people will gladly jump any opportunity to yell about "outdated" or "inconsistent".

Now I am not convinced that is all bad though, tbh. Shenmue ISN'T your standard mainstream game. It never was, it probably won't ever be with the budget it is being made on. That is fine. Is it ideal? No, we all would have liked to have near unlimited resources, for Yu to complete it exactly as he wanted. That ain't the case and maybe we should all calm down a bit and discuss it as is.

If you take a look at my recent post history, it's not as positive as it used to, because let's be honest, this was a mixed E3 showing. Some good, some bad.

But I wouldn't say that I'm negative. I'm being pragmatic. If I was negative, I'd be worried for the game's quality. I'm being pragmatic because I'm trying to look at the whole thing with an outsider's look. From my perspective, Shenmue III is about to be one of the best games ever made. I'm already convinced. I just need to play it now. But from the perspective of someone who needs to be convinced, that's a different story.

But no, I'm neither angry nor entitled. I'm just bringing a different point of view. Dojo is a fan site. We're all fans here. Many of us backed the game for over an hundred dollar. Some over a few hundreds dollars. Some over a thousand dollars. Heck some even at 10k dollars. If we were to express only how we personnally feel about the game, it'd be an echo chamber of positivity. Heck, I could write by myself a dozen of pages to explain my excitement about the game.

You have a Point Ghost Trick but you see Things a bit too simple. There are many types of Outsiders out there.

you are just speaking for the graphics fanatics. They won't like Shenmue because it Looks not perfect compared to some AAA titles. That is the unfortunate truth. Shenmue 3 is not for these People.

But how about the Outsiders that enjoy good Adventure games or visuals novels? How about the fans of Life is Strange.?

Another graphically Imperfect Adventure game that lives from it's Story and the characters not from their facial animations?

this Adventure fans could like Shenmue 3 a lot.

So not every outsider will run away from Shenmue because it has not the best graphics and animations in the world. There will be also some type of Gamers that do not mind this faults of the game. If the Story and atmosphere is good there is a Chance that they will like it.

you are talking too much out of the perspective of graphic whores. If modern day Gamers would just consist of graphic freaks, then some indy games would never be sucessful.

´Games like undertale, shovel night and many more would not be out there.

So you should try to see it from a wider perspective.

Shenmue was never meant to compete with the AAA titles the graphics fans love, anyway.

So it still has Chance to attract some outsiders that like these types of games.

Back