Least favorite song in the Shenmue series?

Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Fatal Frame
Steam
RetroLord120
Nintendo Friend Code
7010-9792-5042
Here's a topic starter, what is your least favorite song in the entire Shenmue series? I know this'll be a hard one, because pretty much all of the music across all games are straight masterpieces. However, there has to be some stinkers among the hundreds of songs made for these games. What's your least favorite?

I'll start: Shenmue 2 South Carmain Qr. (Day)

This song just makes me depressed, it's such a dreary song that drags on and I really hate listening to it for an extended period of time.
Maybe that's the vibe they were going for since South Carmain Qr. is a bit of a dump, but I still hate it lol.

To refresh my memory, I just skimmed through all three games' OSTs. My investigation brought me to the following conclusions:-

- I do not dislike a single track from the first game, though the Daisangen Mahjong Parlour's track makes me feel a tad uneasy
- While I do not necessarily dislike it, Ghost Hall Building's track brings back nothing but bad memories 😄
- As critical as I am of Shenmue III, its soundtrack is marvelous

While I don’t hate it I do think Bailu’s overworld track is rather repetitive that tends to over stays its welcome. I am sure there’s single tracks I dislike more but it comes instantly to mind.

It does get grating sometimes but I wouldn't say I hate it either haha.

Reactions: JP_
While I don’t hate it I do think Bailu’s overworld track is rather repetitive that tends to over stays its welcome. I am sure there’s single tracks I dislike more but it comes instantly to mind.

I agree 100%. This was my first thought on seeing the thread title. I don’t dislike the song itself, but when you hear it over and over again…

I love the soundtrack of all the games. Even though III recycles a lot of stuff, it still works well on the whole, though it is jarring in a couple of spots to hear familiar tunes from Hong Kong locales while training in Guilin.

The I and II soundtracks, honestly, are in my opinion pretty much flawless. I can’t think of any songs I really dislike from those two. I agree the South Carmain song is a bit dreary but personally I like that as I think it reflects the area well.

Offhand the one that comes to mind that I always skip is the wealthy couple theme tune in Shenmue III...
I found those characters annoying as hell – which, admittedly, was probably how the developers wanted us to react to them. But the song by itself I don’t mind so much, tbh.

Wish is probably the song I'm not a fan of the most.

"IF UUUUUUUUUUUUU WHI AHWAYS BE BAH MAH SYDES!!!!!"

I don't dislike any track in the series, but that would probably be the one I'd like to listen to the least.

For those saying the overworld Bailu theme is annoying, I don't know how: the Erhu is a magical instrument and that can pump through my head forever.

Wish is probably the song I'm not a fan of the most.

"IF UUUUUUUUUUUUU WHI AHWAYS BE BAH MAH SYDES!!!!!"

I don't dislike any track in the series, but that would probably be the one I'd like to listen to the least.

For those saying the overworld Bailu theme is annoying, I don't know how: the Erhu is a magical instrument and that can pump through my head forever.
The slightly garbled English adds to its charm. It’s the same with Eurobeat music, where as a rule of thumb the best songs have English that is ALMOST correct but not quite. Also they seem to rhyme “fire” with “desire” in about 2/3 of the songs.

Chewed on this one for a bit, good question. Most of the music in the series fits the setting and is composed well enough.

That said. I've noticed I'm rarely fond of the diner themes (Ajichi and Yamaji Soba from SI; Bar Man Mo, Dou Jiang Diner, etc. from S2). I also have to be in a certain mood to appreciate Y.A.D.A, hah.

The only songs I really dislike (can't decide which is worst) are: White Dynasty (Night), Beverly Hills Wharf (Day-- Xbox), and the rich married couple song from S3.

Edit: I'd never given Ohshu Soba a chance. It really picks up, and I strike it from the list! Reminds me of Pigeon Cafe: unexpected drum beat surprise.

Last edited:
Back