Kickstarter Update #102 - PC Gaming Show Update: New Trailer & Epic Games Store Exclusive for PC Version!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing that can save this dumpster fire is if Shenmue 4 will happen and they have enough funding. Via Epic, deep silver etc. Maybe epic signed for exclusivity to shenmue 3 and 4 for epic store and in turn they'll help fund 4. Maybe I'm clutching at straws I don't know.

I ordered physical PC version on another account , do I still get that?

Thank God I purchased 2 ps4 copies! I feel bad for PC gamers. Fist we get shenmue HD with a million bugs and now all of this shit is happening. Shenmue fans can't get a break. I swear it's like they're trying to make this game look bad.

As posters such as Vasid already touched on, the key here is the Chinese giant, Tencent. You might remember that in Kickstarter update #94, YS Net announced that they would be partnering with Tencent to publish the PC version of Shenmue III in China. This is being done on their platform which is known as WeGame, but Tencent also owns part of Epic Games. Of course they would want Shenmue III to be on that service too; that way they can bring in profits from more regions than just China (which probably won't be a very good market for Shenmue III anyway). My bet is that this Epic Games Store deal was made back when Deep Silver/YS Net partnered with Tencent (announced December 21st, 2018), and they waited all this time before telling us.

My take: YS Net's financial situation probably hasn't been all that great for most or all of the project. Even with publishing deals, they saw the dollar signs when comparing distribution options. Steam takes a huge cut of sales (allegedly ~30%, but never confirmed by Valve) while Epic is offering a much more attractive deal. I understand their goal and I have no doubt that all of the bean counters came up with the same answer, but I'm in awe that they apparently didn't realize what a PR nightmare this would cause. Of course, none of this matters if Tencent was calling the shots, and I would bet that they were.

If that’s true, it makes you again wonder why such a bad roll out of this news and why it was done in such a haphazard manner without preparing for backlash for those gamers who thought they would be receiving it on Steam.

I’m going to be playing this on PS4 so I don’t have a dog in this fight however even if this EGS proves to give them better terms or money to the publisher, I understand why backers feel slighted and dismayed by the poor communication surrounding this.

Well I just went and re-checked my Survey...I actually did opt for the PS4 version...weird, I thought I opted for PC but apparently I did opt for PS4.

I wonder how many people changed their order today?

Please be true, and then provide an update that those who pre-ordered steam keys get steam keys so they can stop whining. This is one way they can #SaveShenmue

If that’s true, it makes you again wonder why such a bad roll out of this news and why it was done in such a haphazard manner without preparing for backlash for those gamers who thought they would be receiving it on Steam.

I’m going to be playing this on PS4 so I don’t have a dog in this fight however even if this EGS proves to give them better terms or money to the publisher, I understand why backers feel slighted and dismayed by the poor communication surrounding this.

Even if they had a good PR team behind them this would always blow in their face. Fandom aside, it's a BS move.

I'm dumbfounded no one with common sense said "Wait, we asked fans to pay upfront saying the game will come out on Steam/PS4 and now we change platforms?"

It has to be a timed exclusive. The Steam page now says coming soon

https://store.steampowered.com/app/878670/Shenmue_III/

q7p9F1R.png

Was it previously saying November 19th where it says Coming soon? Because I can see the coming soon message under the videos and the date in the left side (but my Steam page is Spanish, so maybe is due to that)

Yeah, it previously said November 19th

It it wasn't coming to Steam, wouldn't they just get rid of the page?

As a backer it doesn't mean anything if it's timed or exclusive. I would want a Steam key day one. Feel really deceived how they've known about this and even posted a very insensitive message as an update. Mistake after mistake from this Kickstarter

If they end up making this timed exclusive they have bungled this. That’s all they had to say! Instead today had been stressful worrying about the future of Shenmue. I need a nap.

They won’t be giving out steam keys unless faced with legal action. The only reason Epic made this deal was to bring new users over to their platform. What better way to do that than by tricking people who have already spent their money? I wasn’t expecting this game to sell very well outside of the pre-existing fan base, but it feels like DS are doing all they can to make sure of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back