Kickstarter Update #102 - PC Gaming Show Update: New Trailer & Epic Games Store Exclusive for PC Version!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus, the backers are demanding money back
Shenmue 3 videos have mass thumb downs
Sites picking up the story everywhere.
Youtubers starting to pick it up.

How did this all go so wrong?

This could sink the entire ship we've worked on for the past 18 or so years. It will be bombared with negative user reviews on Metacritic because of the EGS exclusivity and the sales will suffer and there will never be any Shenmue IV. All of this because of a different (albeit somewhat anti-consumer) launcher.

I thought Shenmue fans would go to wherever Shenmue went. If I was a PC gamer I'd go to EA Origin if I had to.

Listen, I get that some of you are pissed. You have every right to be and you should voice concerns... But not by attacking the game itself or YsNet. Attack the publisher.

Did we really know there was gonna be a Steam Version when we backed? It doesn't say anywhere on the Kickstarter page. The survey happened after the kickstarter was already finished...

Jesus, the backers are demanding money back
Shenmue 3 videos have mass thumb downs
Sites picking up the story everywhere.
Youtubers starting to pick it up.

How did this all go so wrong?

When YsNet and Deep Silver thought it was a good idea to sell their backers.

I really hope they have a solid plan going forward. Because no Kickstarter will fund Shenmue IV.

Let's see what happens when an official statement is released regarding the backlash. I still think backers will get their Steam keys. But i know when a publisher is involved, things are very tricky. Let's hope for the best.

This could sink the entire ship we've worked on for the past 18 or so years. It will be bombared with negative user reviews on Metacritic because of the EGS exclusivity and the sales will suffer and there will never be any Shenmue IV. All of this because of a different (albeit somewhat anti-consumer) launcher.

I thought Shenmue fans would go to wherever Shenmue went. If I was a PC gamer I'd go to EA Origin if I had to.

Listen, I get that some of you are pissed. You have every right to be and you should voice concerns... But not by attacking the game itself or YsNet. Attack the publisher.

And I thought YsNet would respect their fans. I mean, at some point, I'm just getting grossed out by the whole thing. I can fight the bad opinions. I cant fight when the bad press comes from the developper and publisher themselves. We supported them since the begining and what we're getting is basically a middle finger.

Did we really know there was gonna be a Steam Version when we backed? It doesn't say anywhere on the Kickstarter page. The survey happened after the kickstarter was already finished...

Kickstarter updates mention Steam many times and was also part of the surveys. So yes. It was sold on the promise it would be on Steam.

Let's see what happens when an official statement is released regarding the backlash. I still think backers will get their Steam keys. But i know when a publisher is involved, things are very tricky. Let's hope for the best.

Yes let the backers get their steam keys problem solved.

I mean... Fuck. Just fuck. You cant come up with such a bad deal and a bad trailer.

I honestly wouldn't be mad if that exclusivity deal meant a better Shenmue game.

Whoever is making those deals is short sighted as fuck. Shenmue III was made a PS4 exclusive for marketing they never got in the end, preventing xbox and switch releases. Now Shenmue III is made an Epic Store exclusive. The money wont even make it a better looking game. It's just sad as fuck.

So... When do we start the change.org ? ?

As posters such as Vasid already touched on, the key here is the Chinese giant, Tencent. You might remember that in Kickstarter update #94, YS Net announced that they would be partnering with Tencent to publish the PC version of Shenmue III in China. This is being done on their platform which is known as WeGame, but Tencent also owns part of Epic Games. Of course they would want Shenmue III to be on that service too; that way they can bring in profits from more regions than just China (which probably won't be a very good market for Shenmue III anyway). My bet is that this Epic Games Store deal was made back when Deep Silver/YS Net partnered with Tencent (announced December 21st, 2018), and they waited all this time before telling us.

My take: YS Net's financial situation probably hasn't been all that great for most or all of the project. Even with publishing deals, they saw the dollar signs when comparing distribution options. Steam takes a huge cut of sales (allegedly ~30%, but never confirmed by Valve) while Epic is offering a much more attractive deal. I understand their goal and I have no doubt that all of the bean counters came up with the same answer, but I'm in awe that they apparently didn't realize what a PR nightmare this would cause. Of course, none of this matters if Tencent was calling the shots, and I would bet that they were.

In hopes of explaining why EGS is so distrusted here is a reddit post where a user shows exactly what the program does behind the scenes while it's pretending to just be a harmless game store.

Don't get me wrong, it's not bricking computers or anything but I don't think any PC user wants someone randomly going through their files, registry, and internet cookies. Doubly so when the company in question spying is tencent who has connections to the Chinese government.

Edit: I just intended for that to be a link, not the post but oh well.

And I thought YsNet would respect their fans. I mean, at some point, I'm just getting grossed out by the whole thing. I can fight the bad opinions. I cant fight when the bad press comes from the developper and publisher themselves. We supported them since the begining and what we're getting is basically a middle finger.

Like I said, I think this is more Deep Silver than YsNet. My guess is that YsNet's hands are tied.

How about a non DRM version for backers? That way S3 is future proof.
When I initially pre ordered S3 I thought it would be DRM free. Would be a better option imo, unless Epic is somehow paying YsNet a large amount of money. I think it's probably all going to Deep Silver though.

How about a non DRM version for backers? That way S3 is future proof.
No achievements if they do that. If epic makes it better or as good as steam probably would not have a problem. If it was a option on steam then it should still be available and if not then they betrayed customers if it was advertising steam.

Damn. Is this part of the reason for the delay? I was always assigned with the PS4 copy. But man, this feels wrong. I genuinely feel bad for everyone expecting a Steam key. This is pretty messed up. I feel like its been non-stop bad news lately..

No achievements if they do that. If epic makes it better or as good as steam probably would not have a problem. If it was a option on steam then it should still be available and if not then they betrayed customers if it was advertising steam.

There's no achievements on Epic Store already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back