IGN gives Death Stranding a 6.8 review score

You're still young, you will hopefully eventually understand how to spot trash, without touching it. Game design is very much a exact science, once you know how various systems work, you can figure out how they interact with each other, and effect the bigger picture.
Seeing how fervently you defended sonic forces and now make this statement, you have to be a troll.

When you know game design as well as I do

giphy.gif

It's not an exact science @Zoltor. Player dynamics can be - and more often than not are - much more important than technical excellency. I studied it too pal.

I really doubt you have any idea what you're actually talking about, and you come across as twenty years younger than me rather than twenty years older when you throw out childish terms like "crapcom".

Doesnt this always happen with Kojima games? At least for his last games.
I mean tons of people love MGS 4 because of all the cutscenes and explanations
and tons of people hate MGS 4 because of all the cutscenes and explanations.

Tons of people love MGS 5 because its the best stealth game with very good gameplay
and tons of people hate MGS 5 because it isnt a real Kojima MGS game.

Same thing for MGS 2. There was always this "nah man i love it" vs "nah man i hate it" community thing
going on.

For me personally, things like "it's slow paced, it makes you work to fast travel, It simulates things a bit too realistically"
arent negative points, i have no problem with that.

It's not an exact science @Zoltor. Player dynamics can be - and more often than not are - much more important than technical excellency. I studied it too pal.

I really doubt you have any idea what you're actually talking about, and you come across as twenty years younger than me rather than twenty years older when you throw out childish terms like "crapcom".

Look, having a a physics mechanic, with 3D realistic terrain(in many cased a very rocky/bumby terrain), and then having wheeled vehicles, and encourages the player to use a unwieldy backpack setup, are not systems that work well together at all.

Then to add insult to injury, the main driving fore of the game, is bland as hell fetch quests.

Yes in certain instances, what you say has some merit(things like fighting, and racing games being prime examples), but in many cases, DS being a prime example of such, It's very scientifically predictable.

I think... I actually will like this game.

If its gaining "boring" and "mudane" chants then as sad as it may be to admit it, that's right up my street. In open world games, I usually do the boring chasing before the main story. I done it with the Witcher 3 by finding every single ? and doing every sidequest. Heck, I am doing it right now in Horizon Zero Dawn. All of the missions in the "main quest" section don't get touched until I have done everything below it. I scaled every longneck, collected every collectable, did every cauldron, found every campfire and even completed all of the hunting grounds, getting the top achievement for each in doing so. Then it was the errands and side missions, before I finally go back to the main story.

If that's what Death Stranding is, then I will give it a go. I will make it a Christmas buy.

Edit: Should also stress that I've never played a Hideo Kojima game before.

I usually like the so-called walking simulators like Night in the Woods... But this is going too far. This is a walking for hours around same-y terrain trying to micromanage what you're carrying so you don't fall over while nothing of interest happens for hours upon hours.

Not for me.

Well bros.
If Death stranding is that boring and most fans are still going to eat it up and enjoy it, I really don't get why most of the same players wouln't enjoy a small litle game from sega released in 1999 where you can at least stop at the arcade and play great sega arcade classics to aleviate your frustrations over the boringness of the main game.

Last edited:
Doesnt this always happen with Kojima games? At least for his last games.
I mean tons of people love MGS 4 because of all the cutscenes and explanations
and tons of people hate MGS 4 because of all the cutscenes and explanations.

Tons of people love MGS 5 because its the best stealth game with very good gameplay
and tons of people hate MGS 5 because it isnt a real Kojima MGS game.

Same thing for MGS 2. There was always this "nah man i love it" vs "nah man i hate it" community thing
going on.

For me personally, things like "it's slow paced, it makes you work to fast travel, It simulates things a bit too realistically"
arent negative points, i have no problem with that.

To this extent, no I don't think so. For the first time, a Kojima game is not featuring neither fun gameplay features nor a solid narrative crescendo due to open world constrains.

Btw, while reviewers seem to be world-widely skeptical, reviewers in France really love the game.

Last edited:
Well bros.
If Death stranding is that boring and most fans are still going to eat it up and enjoy it, I really don't why most of the same players wouln't enjoy a small litle game from sega released in 1999 where you can at least stop at the arcade and play great sega arcade classics to aleviate your frustrations over the boringness of the main game.

Sigh yea, logic would imply such, but you're overlooking the hive mind mentality going on here. Believe it or not, Kojika has this die hard fanbase, who will eat up everything, just because Kojima's name is tied to such. Those people are also part of the groups that care too much about what their friends think.

Most people these days probally never even heard of Shenmue before e3 2015, and even more so, the Epic whinning, where as due to one of the Universe's sick jokes, Kojima is basically a household name, so in their mind, checking Shenmue out Isn't going to earn them points with their "collectives".

Very weird to make a thread highlighting a review with this score when there are plenty of great reviews for the game as it sits at 85 on Metacritic and Opencritic. Like why are people literally basing their opinion on this single review? The hypocrisy people will have in this thread when they only highlight the positive Shenmue reviews and dismiss the negative ones will be hilarious.

From what I've read the game sounds great. Slow paced exploration in a beautiful environment. Very weird to see this thread on a Shenmue forum of all things.

Last edited:
Very weird to make a thread highlighting a review with this score when there are plenty of great reviews for the game as it sits at 85 on Metacritic and Opencritic. Like why are people literally basing their opinion on this single review? The hypocrisy people will have in this thread when they only highlight the positive Shenmue reviews and dismiss the negative ones will be hilarious.

From what I've read the game sounds great. Slow paced exploration in a beautiful environment. Very weird to see this thread on a Shenmue forum of all things.
I agree with you.
Boring games for ones might be awesome games for others.
That was allways one of the criticisms many acused shenmue from, which I allways thought was unfair.
Same is happenning with this game.
It's a differently paced game.
Doesn't mean that i is "bad".

What I meant in the above post is that, many who criticised Shenmue in the past for its pacing, will eat this game just cause it's a kojima game and cause of its hype.

I still think the game is interesting.

The reviewer sounds like he's annoyed @ being trolled by Kojima and the score reflects that aspect.

And yea, people are really divided across this game...maybe I'll just watch a cutscene compilation. Receptions makes gameplay seems tedious and not narrative/contextually meaningful or rewarding.

But, in the end, I hope Kojima can bounce back from this whole ordeal if it doesn't end favorably for him.

Look, having a a physics mechanic, with 3D realistic terrain(in many cased a very rocky/bumby terrain), and then having wheeled vehicles, and encourages the player to use a unwieldy backpack setup, are not systems that work well together at all.

I dunno, that kinda shit works great in the Trials games. I also imagine it would be a nice change of pace to make traversing a large environment an actual challenge as opposed to a lot of open world games that can cynically be boiled down to "head to this vector then change this boolean/reduce float by x/add y to z integer (delete as appropriate)".

Everything can be simplified or have layers of complexity added simply by altering the language used to describe it. Let's have it right though, it's down to how enjoyable it is to the player.

Just as I find the first Transformers much more enjoyable than the Revenant, tastes are all different, and the technical quality in comparison to rival products is a completely different aspect to how entertaining it is. It's also why review scores are so unreliable: what context is being used to grade it? What are the reviewers usual preferences? How did they play the game?

At the end of the day, you cannot definitively say you find something good or bad if you haven't engaged with it in the way you're supposed to. An album can't be judged on the artwork and 30 second preview of its lead single, a film cannot be judged on its trailer, and a game cannot be judged on video previews. Hell, I'd even argue that paintings can't be judged on a Google image result.

There's so much more to anything in the creative medium than the tiny little glimpses on offer to advertise their existence, and to dismiss them outright based on such small windows is frankly one of the most - to quote yourself - closed-minded things you can do.

Minesweeper looks shit and it's the greatest game in history.

End of the day people will play it if they want to. Some Kojima diehards wont hear a word against it regardless but that's the same with any fanbase going.

Play it if you want to or ignore it otherwise. The beauty of a free choice.

End of the day people will play it if they want to. Some Kojima diehards wont hear a word against it regardless but that's the same with any fanbase going.

Play it if you want to or ignore it otherwise. The beauty of a free choice.
Of course man.
Everyone does what he or she wants.
At the end of the day, this is just discussion.
It's not going to determine anything.

Back