How optimistic are you for Shenmue 4

4 being the ending may or may not happen.

If 3 smashes it out of the park in terms of quality and sales then I can see Yu pushing for Shenmue 5. He has said for quite some time that he would like to make 4 if not 5 games for this saga.

Should there be any uncertainty or issues around getting investment for 4 then I think he would probably end it there.

It all depends on how well recieved Shenmue 3 is and we can't tell that till we play it ourselves.
If not only fans but a bigger audience love it then yeah we might not even need another KS, SEGA or another 3rd party like SONY might seriously invest.
If just the fans love it and it is moderate to decent reception then it might be KS with a mix of 3rd parties just like Shenmue III.
If it's bad on all fronts then I wouldn't like to say...

For the direction it is going in I really have no clue, since I don't really take much from the press events stuff we have seen, I'd have my mind more made up once gameplay or that demo drops.

Last edited:
Honestly? It’s the main source for my therapy bills right now. I am so worried about this, I would hate for the series to hit yet another unresolved cliffhanger after 3. Sega being impressed with the reception of 1&2 offers me some relief though.

Considering how present Blu-ray Discs can hold and online stores, I can see Suzuki making 4 and 5 concurrently like he did with the first teon

Even if Shenmue III has mediocre sales, the fact that the modern engine and graphical foundation will be complete, gives great reason for there to be a Shenmue IV & V. They may respectively release each one 2-3 years after the other, like Shenmue II, or release them in a collection, similarly to Shenmue I & II. Many promising options to consider. Will be interesting to see how that story unfolds...

I am more optimistic than I was 10 years ago. Fortunately it will be much easier due to assets, the engine and all the new stuff already being present. I think the primary resources would be voice actors, perhaps new character design and level design using existing textures.

I’m very optimistic that Shenmue IV will see the light of day. A release in late 2021 is realistic considering the fact that Shenmue II came out two years after Shenmue.

The release of Shenmue IV is of course contingent on the success of Shenmue III so I’m anticipating die hard fans purchasing more than one copy of the game to ensure a fourth instalment of the series is made.

In the unlikely event that Shenmue III doesn’t sell well enough, they could always crowdfund like they did for Shenmue III.

Last edited:
I am quite optimistic about Shenmue 4. The Fanbase is very strong and the Fanbase could also make Part 4 Happening. Maybe even Part 5. Even if this Games need a Kickstarter again I would be happy to Support them again if Shenmue 3 is really good. And I am very optimistic about that as well.

I wouldn't count on the Sales though. If Yu Suzuki wants to to the Franchise justice he will make S3 very similar to Part1 and 2. These are great games, but these games are nothing for todays "Kids". It would be to slow for them. And with not enough Action. Shenmue is just to different compared to modern day games.

So we can just hope that classic fans support S3 enough that there will be enough Money for S4 and maybe even 5.

Maybe I am wrong and S3 is more appealing to modern day games than I thought but I doubt it.

The big gaming companies do what the masses want. And there haven't been any decent Action Adventure Games for decades. This Genre is literally dead now.

So I doubt that Shenmue 3 will change that trend.

I feel like there's a perfect storm combining for Shenmue's continued renaissance since the HD ports were released in the west. The way my twitter feed has been filled solid with new players discovering and old gamers--who never followed what happened to the series after either the first Dreamcast game or second XBOX version--being reintroduced.

Plus, the comparisons and good reaction to a slow burn like Red Dead 2, has me quite optimistic Shenmue 3 will certainly be welcomed much more openly than 1999-2002.

With the new fans that Shenmue gained with the re-releases, that's more troops for the army if we're put into position to start the #saveshenmue4 campaign. The chances of Shenmue IV is very high. Considering that Deep Silver would likely want to invest in future Shenmue projects considering we know that III won't conclude the series.

I'm pretty concerned about it honestly. While I definitely want Yu Suzuki to follow through with his original vision and not have to shorten the story or cut major parts out, I also don't want to have to wait another 15-20 years for some cliffhanger at the end of Shenmue III to be resolved.

Another thing that concerns me is I feel like the sales won't be very good because most Shenmue fans are already getting their copies for backing the game. I know that the re-releases have garnered some new fans for the series, but is it really enough to significantly bolster the sales for Shenmue III?

I'd expect most of us veterans/hardcore super fans with the means to do so, will being grabbing at least one or two more retail copies--akin to the HD ports. For sure I know I'm gonna get at least 4 more. One to keep sealed with KS copy, one for myself, one for my brother, best friend--one or two others and perhaps my cousin, as well.

I got my physical copy through the Slacker Backer campaign already but I will get the digtal Version on Steam too. And maybe the physical copy of the Ps4 Version in chase I like the retail cover. Not certain if I got that right but I think the pyhsical copy of the slacker backer campaign will have a different cover than the retail version. So from a collectors point of view it would be good to have both.

Back