How optimistic are you for Shenmue 4

RyoHazuki84

俺が益荒男
Favourite title
Shenmue
As the title suggests, we should share our thoughts on how positive we feel about Shenmue 4.

IMHO, I feel we are on our way to getting Shenmue 4 within 3-5 years. After seeing how successful the Kickstarter was and how the pre-orders for Shenmue HD have been, I feel we are on the right track to getting Shenmue 4 started. If Suzuki has to do a kickstarter for it, count me in. Considering what we’ve achieved so far, the future of Shenmue couldn’t be any brighter

As the title suggests, we should share our thoughts on how positive we feel about Shenmue 4.

IMHO, I feel we are on our way to getting Shenmue 4 within 3-5 years. After seeing how successful the Kickstarter was and how the pre-orders for Shenmue HD have been, I feel we are on the right track to getting Shenmue 4 started. If Suzuki has to do a kickstarter for it, count me in. Considering what we’ve achieved so far, the future of Shenmue couldn’t be any brighter

Adam Koralik has said a few times that Sega have been surprised at how well the games are doing. It's having an impact for sure and if 3 does well then i can potentially see Sega coming on board with this finally.

Shenmue 3 in 2019. Shenmue 4 if they do one around 2024/5

I think a Kickstarter for Shenmue IV is out of the question. The game won't cost as much to make (since a lot of ground work has been done in preparation for III), but a new crowdfunding campaign without the industry-shaking buzz of bringing the mythical beast back to life couldn't hope to come close to the record breaking success of the first.

Shenmue IV relies on the sales of III and I & II. That's actual sales, not Kickstarter and Slacker Backer rewards. If the series proves to be a commercial success through GameStop, Amazon, GAME, and the like, then the next sequel will be an attractive proposition for any publisher, including Sega themselves. Without those traditional sales however, it will just be seen as a flash-in-the-pan Kickstarter curiosity and not worth the risk of going back to the well with a company's own money.

In short, buy what they're selling and tell your friends to do the same if you want that next chapter in playable form. The fate of the series is still in our hands.

I think if Shenmue III sells 1,000,000 copies, there will be no need for another Kickstarter, as companies will be begging to invest in the saga.

Based on Shenmue II releasing 2 years after the original, I expect Shenmue IV to follow a similar path, presumably within 2-4 years.

It will be another Yu Suzuki Classic...

With Shenmue V fully focused on the 16th and final chapter of the magnum opus.

Last edited:
It would be weird for me to get a Shenmue 4 by the time I’m 40 lol. But yeah, we should do our part in making Shenmue III and the HD releases a success. I’m guessing we can call Shenmue the fine wine of video games. Some can appreciate it after it ages

Like Spuds was saying, SEGA have been surprised by how well the pre-orders are doing, and with how great III is looking based on the latest screenshot, who knows. I'm really hoping Suzuki-san can complete his life's work.

I wouldn't say I'm optimistic but it definitely feels like more than just a pipe dream now...

Shenmue 3 in 2019. Shenmue 4 if they do one around 2024/5

With the updated Shenmue engine being completed with the third game, I don't see a 4-5 year development cycle. I see Sega pushing for the 4th to be completed quicker than that if the third game is successful. They could just carry over the new engine from the third game and build the new assets to continue the story. I see a 2, maybe 3 year max development cycle for the fourth game.

With the updated Shenmue engine being completed with the third game, I don't see a 4-5 year development cycle. I see Sega pushing for the 4th to be completed quicker than that if the third game is successful. They could just carry over the new engine from the third game and build the new assets to continue the story. I see a 2, maybe 3 year max development cycle for the fourth game.
That would be great. Do you think that would be increased if the ps5 became a thing?

I also wonder if Sega would want the Dragon engine used?

That would be great. Do you think that would be increased if the ps5 became a thing?
Doubt it would be too much, since they are building the game on the Unreal engine, the engine would be updated to support the PS5, given that it shares the same architecture as the PS4, I would presume to be "a simple fix".

It kind of is like when Nintendo made Ocarina of Time, took them years (mind you it was a custom engine), when they were tasked to make Majoras Mask on the same engine with the same assets, they pulled it off in a year.

I'm pretty sure PS5 will be a thing in the near future; maybe 2020 or 2021. I can see Shenmue IV becoming a cross gen game and releasing on both PS4 and PS5. The best outcome for me as well as most Playstation fans would be if the PS5 launches and continues with PS4 backwards compatibility. A lot of it rests on what Sony decides to do with the new hardware. That said, if Sony has said backwards compatibility in the PS5 and IF Shenmue IV and perhaps a Shenmue V occur, then Playstation and PC would be the first two platforms to have the entire series playable in one place.

Honestly, after everything that's happened with the Shenmue series after everyone thought it was dead forever, I have no concerns that Shenmue will never be completed. Shenmue 1 & 2 will sell well, and I believe part 3 will sell well enough to have Sega come back as the publisher and YsNet continue to be the developer for the remaining Shenmue games (presumably 4 and 5). I'd expect parts 4 and 5 to use the same engine/ models and assets that have been created for part 3. This will significantly reduce development costs and time. I just hope that when the entire saga is complete, that all will be available (for PC, New Xbox and PS5) as a single package.

We'll have to wait and see if Shenmue 3 succeeds which I hope it does.

Not very optimistic I don't know if Shenmue III will have the mainstream appeal it needs to get a sequel. On one hand I'd love for the series to continue in its path as it was originally intended, on the other hand maybe giving some sort of definitive ending to 3 would be the best choice, anything but another cliffhanger that will last 20 years, Yu Suzuki will be 80 by then.

"Over the past 14 years I originally planned for there to be 4 or five games to the series."
"If at all possible, I would still like to realize the full story of 11 chapters."

Honestly, after everything that's happened with the Shenmue series after everyone thought it was dead forever, I have no concerns that Shenmue will never be completed. Shenmue 1 & 2 will sell well, and I believe part 3 will sell well enough to have Sega come back as the publisher and YsNet continue to be the developer for the remaining Shenmue games (presumably 4 and 5). I'd expect parts 4 and 5 to use the same engine/ models and assets that have been created for part 3. This will significantly reduce development costs and time. I just hope that when the entire saga is complete, that all will be available (for PC, New Xbox and PS5) as a single package.

If Shenmue 3 sells well I believe Sony will invest more to make Shenmue 4 and beyond PS exclusive. I could also see Microsoft trying to get in on the action for future installments as well.

I'll be 35 when 3 comes out so judging on the last length of time for the sequel I look forward to playing 4 in retirement. :ROFLMAO:

Back