How many copies do you think the HD collection will sell in the first year.

How many copies do you think the HD collection will sell in the first year

• <100k

• 100k-199k

• 200k-299k

• 300k-399k

• 400k-499k

• 500k or more

Results are only viewable after voting.

spud1897

Administrator
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Destiny 2, Shenmue HD ;)
PSN
spud19870
Just a bit of fun leading into the last week before release.

Vote above for how many you think the HD collection will sell or comment if your figure isn't listed.

It'll defo be more than half a mil. I've been surprised by the number of people say they're looking forward to it despite giving no previous indication. Over the years I've overlooked the fact that, whilst it's on of our favourite games, for others it was one that they enjoyed but didn't quite love to the same extent.

These people will buy it.

Then there are those who've always heard about Shenmue, or seen it in these Top 10 lists on game websites and YouTube channels, and are curious enough to make the purchase.

Add in there people who discover it after the fact, or impulse buyers, sales sweepers, etc. and you're already looking at a healthy number of copies sold.

Finally, there's us. I'm relatively certain at this point there'll be summat daft like 3.5 sold per fan.

Shenmue sold well, Shenmue II didn't improve on the figures but was still respectable given the situation, so I've no reason to believe that both combined on modern consoles will fair worse than the original releases.

this is very hard to tell.
for comparison (re-released or comparable games) -
Resident Evil 0 HD Remaster sold about 800.000 copies, the Final Fantasy X / X-2 HD Remaster
sold over 1 mil copies, Yakuza 0 probably something between 700.000 and 1 mil (hard to tell), Last Of Us Remastered over 1.5 mil,
Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy over 2.5 mil copies, Shadow of the Colossus PS4 probably around 1 mil.

there are some pretty big names in there.
so i will say anything between 300.000 and 500.000 sounds reasonable.

but its hard to estimate how big or small the hype really is.

We may be greatly underestimating the anticipated demand...
People are curious...Shenmue has a new mystique about it....
And for just $29.99 to experience both legendary classics...
Quite the deal to get up to speed before Shenmue III...
Good or bad reviews...the hype is real...
Plus, going multi-platform... in this social stream era...
Wouldn't be surprised if we break 1M....
And that's before a possible Switch version...

Last edited:
this is very hard to tell.
for comparison (re-released or comparable games) -
Resident Evil 0 HD Remaster sold about 800.000 copies, the Final Fantasy X / X-2 HD Remaster
sold over 1 mil copies, Yakuza 0 probably something between 700.000 and 1 mil (hard to tell), Last Of Us Remastered over 1.5 mil,
Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy over 2.5 mil copies, Shadow of the Colossus PS4 probably around 1 mil.

there are some pretty big names in there.
so i will say anything between 300.000 and 500.000 sounds reasonable.

but its hard to estimate how big or small the hype really is.

Agree its very hard to judge, Yakuza obviously has a big fan base it will have reached more people than Shenmue, I think it was roughly 700k sales for zero after a year and 400k for Kiwami after six months. On the flip side though, those are of course, ps4 only sales (Taken with a pinch of salt) . The net will be spread far wider with Shenmue, with it being spread over at least 3 platforms, that bodes well.

Very surprised to see that Shadow of the Colossus out did both zero and Kiwami. Its again, really hard to judge, hearing plenty about Sega being surprised with how well pre orders went, so be interesting to know what their initial expectations were. I think it's almost certain that Sega spent more on Kiwami than the Shenmue re-release and so if the re-release out does Kiwami, that will for sure be a big sign to Sega, and I think it's very possible it will.

We may see the community growing exponentially over the coming weeks...this isn't like days past where games would be released and then rot in the back of some used games store or not even stocked at all...these new digital platforms bring with them wider exposure and constant new promotions...should be interesting to see sales not just this year, but the years following as well...

Already gave some estimates somewhere else and I'll still say it can do 500.000 in that time.

If a relatively unknown game like a way out can sell a million copies within its first 2 weeks,there is no way Shenmue collection by this time next year cant sell a million or more.

Honestly, even though it will probably get "decent" reviews at best I expect it to sell well for what it is. With all the hype surrounding shenmue the past few years, I expect a lot of people to pick it up to see what it's about as well as us nuts buying multiple copies or even the people who just enjoyed the games 17 years ago who just want to relive that experience while waiting for the third installment. Hopefully SEGA will keep us updated on sales figures.

I think the series has a good chance of getting around a million lifetime. The game will sell well when its first released and maybe for some months after. The digital sales as Sony has many of these will continue to build on that. When the game drops to the inevitable £20/$20 after a year or so that again will boost sales.

I really believe the sales will help Sega take notice of the series again and get us Shenmue 4.

It's hard to judge because it's coming out so cheap with so much buzz about it, but it's also being criticized for some decisions. I'm guessing less than 200k...

Should do 500k easy. Especially since it's on 3 platforms, had plenty of exposure, priced well and a sequel funded via a Kickstarter which broke records and everyone knows it. That's a hell of a marketing push all on it's own..

Don't know about numbers, but it will sell big enough for Sega to take notice. A hyped name and digital availability on 3 different platforms of choice alone will see to that.

I'm thinking that with the hype and the multiple copies that some of the fans are buying, the Shenmue HD Collection could sell well over 500k copies. Especially being on both PS4 and PC. I'm curious to see how well it actually does but I'm sure that with the way everything is going, we could very well see Shenmue IV created.

Back