How is your fitness/health?

For as long as I can remember, I've always had a problem in regards to getting good quality sleep and feeling fresh in the morning. Yesterday, I was in bed before 21:00 and probably fell asleep before 22:00. Woke up this morning approaching 7:00 and felt relatively good as in it was not a struggle to get up nor did I ake up randomly in the middle of the night.

Problem is though, how does one keep this up without dedicating pretty much all of their day to work? I'll get up around 7am, drop the kid to nursery and work (from home or the office) until 5pm when I will then pick up my son and get back home around 6pm. Changing and feeding him takes me to about 7 30 and that gives me about 30 minutes to go on the Internet and stuff before putting him to bed. Usually, I'll put him to bed or let my wife do so then go back downstairs and unwind by playing video games, YouTube etc.
Its a choice. Stop making excuses and go to bed early and wake up early. Since you have kids, early hours would be the best time to dedicate for yourself.

PS. Waking up every weekday 4am, going to gym every weekday 5am.

Fuck that shit
It seems extreme but he's right.

One of the excuses I occasionally tell myself is "I don't have time for xyz" but realistically my son has me up at 6 am every morning, after I've fixed him breakfast and negotiated whatever other demands he has I could be so much more productive with the morning, instead I usually just drink coffee and browse Reddit.

I definitely don't miss the sleep deprivation of him being a newborn but I'll say this, I was at the gym at five in the morning three times a week without fail because "why not, I'm up right?"

I did develop the ubiquitous "dad bod" once he started sleeping through the night, this went on for a couple of years until I started to outgrow my "fat guy wardrobe" and decided it was time to change.

I set a goal of getting visible abs.

Objectively it was relatively pointless, for one thing I'm not single and my girlfriend doesn't care, in fact I think she preferred when I was a little chunky, I also came to realise that that the pursuit of a particular physique for purely aesthetic purposes can be quite a slippery slope, I reached my goal around 30 weeks in, I had the abs that I'd set out to get, I took a selfie to mark the occasion (I'd been taking weekly pictures to document progress) and my first thought when I looked at it was that my chest and back weren't developed enough. I didn't allow myself even a second of feeling satisfied with what I'd accomplished before instantly focusing on something I didn't like that could be better.

That indoctrination into body dysmorphia aside it's been an interesting process, I've learned a lot about diet, nutrition and exercise, I rediscovered my love of weight lifting and I'm bulking back up, though I won't lie, purposefully putting on weight again isn't something I was able to undertake without a lot of thought and discussion with people.

I'm a professional fighter so being fit/healthy is obviously important but there have been times ive fell off the fitness wagon, i had a motorbike accident while living in Thailand which damaged my shoulder which took over a year to get surgery and even longer to recover from which left me depressed my girlfriend decided to leave me and id gained alot of weight, i usually walk around and am lean at 77kg and id gone to 97+. i decided one day enough was enough and downloaded my fitness pal to my phone (which is amazing for figuring out what crap youre putting into your diet and if youre over/under eating) while knowing what calories i had to eat or be under i order to lose weight i found the easiest way to stay under and still be able to eat was walking on a treadmill on a decent incline eg, 6.2kmph at a 6% gradient for 40 mins which would burn around 500-600 calories , the benefit to doing the walking opposed to running is that it takes little to no recovery its more just boring, but put an ipad infront of you and a set of headphones and youre good to go. the added bonus to this is you can even do it twice a day if youre going to be eating more or just want to speed things up. i literally cleaned up my diet a little bit, my fitness pal said to be under 1800 calories to lose weight, so id probably eat aound 2500 and burn off around 1000 doing that method and maybe some weights, within 10 weeks i'd got my weight back down to 77kg and felt great, once youre where you want to be it just becomes about maintenance so rather than everyday i dropped down to 4 times a week and chose the days depending on what im going to be doing on them, eg im going to be going out for a meal, ill go on to the treadmill for an hour that morning.

now im living in australia coaching at a gym, i run most days on the beach and do someweights as well as hitting pads and sparring, ill go back to thailand soon and start fighting again now im back to full health but that kind of lifestyle isnt for everyone, ill always swear by the method i said previously, i even got my mom doing it and now shes healthy and feels confident enough to do new things, she flew out from england by herself to visit me in thailnd (her first time travelling alone) all the way from england, and shes back home she started to take BJJ classes, she even got her first stripe on her white belt last week, fitness can be an amazing thing, for mental health and self perception, confidence even just as a mood booster. get those endorphenes going and see how much those red circles in shenmue 3 bother you compared to before haha

as a side note, i also found intermitent fasting to be a good tool for calorie control, putting off eating until 12pm then building up to a little bit later can work if youre a nighttime snacker like me

I have a metabolism where my body is ultra efficient at storing nutrients. I gain muscle extremely easily if I work out, but if i don't those calories will get deposited as fat. Being skinny is basically impossible for me unless I literally do not eat for months. Hell, I even went without food for a month before and I looked better than when I started since my body just refused to eat my muscle due to my daily exercise.

I have a metabolism where my body is ultra efficient at storing nutrients. I gain muscle extremely easily if I work out, but if i don't those calories will get deposited as fat. Being skinny is basically impossible for me unless I literally do not eat for months. Hell, I even went without food for a month before and I looked better than when I started since my body just refused to eat my muscle due to my daily exercise.
You just need to have a good look at calories coming in vs calories coming out, as I said above use my fitness pal and work within your calorie range, if you eat above that burn it off, it's that simple

194cm/94kg

I recon im in somewhat good shape. I allways try to lose a kilo or two since i race motorcycle on the racetrack! Its not the easiest height to have on the tracks, so i try to avoid gaining any weight so i can be as agile as possible

Got my heavy bag back from my parents this weekend and my gloves ('cause I tried without and cut up my knuckles :() yesterday, so I started boxing again for the first time in 16 years.

Only did 15 minutes, with 2, 30 second breaks, but did a lot of hard, heavy and fast punching; built up enough of a sweat that it was dripping off my face by the time I finished.

I'm super sore today (mainly my triceps and pecs), but I felt great just for that little bit of time yesterday and still feel good now; my plan is to up my time 5 minutes every week, until I hit about an hour a day (which is easy to do now, since I'm no longer walking to work, due to a ton of snow) and keep that up for as long as possible.

It seems extreme but he's right.

One of the excuses I occasionally tell myself is "I don't have time for xyz" but realistically my son has me up at 6 am every morning, after I've fixed him breakfast and negotiated whatever other demands he has I could be so much more productive with the morning, instead I usually just drink coffee and browse Reddit.

I definitely don't miss the sleep deprivation of him being a newborn but I'll say this, I was at the gym at five in the morning three times a week without fail because "why not, I'm up right?"

I did develop the ubiquitous "dad bod" once he started sleeping through the night, this went on for a couple of years until I started to outgrow my "fat guy wardrobe" and decided it was time to change.

I set a goal of getting visible abs.

Objectively it was relatively pointless, for one thing I'm not single and my girlfriend doesn't care, in fact I think she preferred when I was a little chunky, I also came to realise that that the pursuit of a particular physique for purely aesthetic purposes can be quite a slippery slope, I reached my goal around 30 weeks in, I had the abs that I'd set out to get, I took a selfie to mark the occasion (I'd been taking weekly pictures to document progress) and my first thought when I looked at it was that my chest and back weren't developed enough. I didn't allow myself even a second of feeling satisfied with what I'd accomplished before instantly focusing on something I didn't like that could be better.

That indoctrination into body dysmorphia aside it's been an interesting process, I've learned a lot about diet, nutrition and exercise, I rediscovered my love of weight lifting and I'm bulking back up, though I won't lie, purposefully putting on weight again isn't something I was able to undertake without a lot of thought and discussion with people.
I know he's right. It's just a weird thing that exercise is supposed to make you mentally healthier and doing the above will make you feel better but I just don't feel good doing it. I always get bored going to the gym, doing press ups etc. We all have time, or we are all time-poor, it's just how you make the most of it.

Not that anyone cares, but it has now been a week and I've boxed (for 15 minutes) every day this week thus far and aside from damaging capillaries on my right pinky on Tuesday, no pain but still that soreness that feels great, after every session.

The soreness is getting less and less, so I'm looking forward to extending my time next week :D

Back