How do you feel about the rewards distribution?

It's a donation which by definition isn't an exchange of money for goods.
But having tiered donations then means there is an expectation created right? Or there would be no need for tiers. You could just have an open donation system and then send people items based on how much they gave.

Instead there is a system in place where if you make a ‘donation’ then you will be given a certain item.

The only reason it gets called a donation is so that if the ‘donator’ gets screwed over, they have no recourse with Kickstarter.

Like I’ve said previously, I accept there isn’t a lot I can do about the current situation, but wait for the items. But I find it surprising that there are people out their defending what has happened. Is it really too much to expect that the items would have arrived after 4 years?

In their defense, they were very clear about what the rewards were going to be. By all means complain about those rewards not being with you already, but complaining that you didn’t get something that wasn’t promised seems a little entitled to me.
It's not entitlement when people spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on the kickstarted and get an inferior product to the "collection edition".
We got this a cheap sleave worth less than 1$ with the normal game box, while people who got the Deluxe version got a unique game case saying deluxe on it. Small details do matter. Reality is Fangamer did a Very Cheap and Terrible Job that made Shenmue look Bad. The other versions are so beautiful and worthy item collections. As Apple has proven Package makes a huge difference in the perceived quality. Especially when you spending more than a console or thousand of dollars.
shen.png

vs people who paid a lot less got

jeqvgx4ujjr31.png
shenmuecollection.jpgs-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
It's the semantics and the definitions of rewards and donations that has put me off crowd funding for life. If I waited a long time for something I paid good money for and still did not receive it I would be profoundly angry to say the least.

In expressing anger and frustration to my fellow players/backers I'm then given a detailed explanation of what a 'donation' and a 'reward' is and the term 'entitled' is used in any way, well I think I would explode in a ball of flame in all honesty.

For the little it's worth to the folks waiting for their stuff I feel deeply sorry for you and hope that the goods get to you in the manner you deserve at the very least.

I offer respect to the folks managing this and if my post is disrespectful to any of the site staff or folks involved then I understand and respectfully ask that you give the folks embroiled in this an opportunity to 'vent' because I believe it will help in the long run.

Put it this way: If you are made to feel like a bit of a cock after you spent money on something with a high personal expectation then you are less likely to express good will and even less likely to get your wallet out for a second time.

Used to work in sales and retention you see so this is a subject close to my heart.

It's not entitlement when people spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on the kickstarted and get an inferior product to the "collection edition".
I haven't been impressed with Fangamer, but did you want a game, or a bunch of premium merch? If the answer is "both," then that sounds a little like entitlement.

I haven't been impressed with Fangamer, but did you want a game, or a bunch of premium merch? If the answer is "both," then that sounds a little like entitlement.
Like I mentioned is common sense, if a person spends 500$+ they expect something decent worthy of collection items.
Not an inferior version to the 99.99$ limited edition version. We expect a similar quality or with a little bit extra. Is not asking for much.
Some of you see it as an entitlement, I see it was as a bad practice since if there ever a new Kickstarter you will not see hundreds of donations to the higher tiers since they still had the low-quality treatment & experience to getting an inferior product.

Last edited:
Okay, but those people wouldn't have been funding Shenmue III into existence, and if that wasn't the ultimate goal, what was?

Okay, but those people wouldn't have been funding Shenmue III into existence, and if that wasn't the ultimate goal, what was?
In Essence, this will damage the potential donations for a new Kickstarter if there is ever one. I predict with the Epic games situation and low budget rewards we would not even get 1/5 in donations Shenmue 3 got.

No rush. This was my first ever Kickstarter and I was made aware that reward distribution can take time.

I did expect it all to come BY release, but YsNet have kept us updated so I'm not in any rush. It will all stayed sealed anyways. I got the game on the platform I wanted on day one and that was my biggest concern.

That being said, the release date for backers should have been before retail as I didn't get access to the PC version till 2pm on release day. Not fair that non-backers experienced the game at midnight via retail (I had to do this too).

But having tiered donations then means there is an expectation created right? Or there would be no need for tiers. You could just have an open donation system and then send people items based on how much they gave.

Instead there is a system in place where if you make a ‘donation’ then you will be given a certain item.

The only reason it gets called a donation is so that if the ‘donator’ gets screwed over, they have no recourse with Kickstarter.

Like I’ve said previously, I accept there isn’t a lot I can do about the current situation, but wait for the items. But I find it surprising that there are people out their defending what has happened. Is it really too much to expect that the items would have arrived after 4 years?
It is clear in the terms and conditions with kickstarter that it is exactly that, a donation. And you're definitely right it's to cover their asses.

The tiers are like anything it's to tempt you to donate more. Thats a discussion around is it ethically necessary and not for this topic I feel.

It's been slow and communication has been random at best. That said, personally, I backed Shenmue III because I wanted to see the game. Not because I desperately wanted all the items on offer. They're cool but secondary to why I threw money at it. Which is why I'm not bothered.

It is clear in the terms and conditions with kickstarter that it is exactly that, a donation. And you're definitely right it's to cover their asses.

The tiers are like anything it's to tempt you to donate more. Thats a discussion around is it ethically necessary and not for this topic I feel.

It's been slow and communication has been random at best. That said, personally, I backed Shenmue III because I wanted to see the game. Not because I desperately wanted all the items on offer. They're cool but secondary to why I threw money at it. Which is why I'm not bothered.
Except for the reward we got was cheap trash. Got the game today and very disappointed and many people will too.
90790172_213075593378061_2923354290133139456_n.jpg90527787_831922350660117_2946330187618320384_n.jpg90299591_2918851078206131_991045578790010880_n.jpg90213428_347676119486795_2684078591171362816_n.jpg90146379_517439798957187_2416909381724536832_n.jpg

That's one reward, one I've not got so cant comment.

The signed illustration was nice IMO and those character busts were class.

All comes down to personal taste and until I see my rewards I'm not commenting on if they're trash or not. Nor is this anything to do with distribution
Is very clear is a cheap case with a glued paper on it that when you open case the paper hangs down.
The reality is Fangamer produces trash. This is insulting and unacceptable.

Moaning about the plastic case? Come on...

Is very clear is a cheap case with a glued paper on it that when you open case the paper hangs down.
The reality is Fangamer produces trash. This is insulting and unacceptable.
I think you're overreacting, that's me saying that without seeing it of course.

Speak to Fangamer to voice your displeasure.

I think you're overreacting, that's me saying that without seeing it of course.

Speak to Fangamer to voice your displeasure.
gnome-shell-screenshot-U83PH0.png
I am not the only one who is very disappointed with the final product, this was supposed to be a collector item. Not a cheap trash that has zero collectors value.

View attachment 7589
I am not the only one who is very disappointed with the final product, this was supposed to be a collector item. Not a cheap trash that has zero collectors value.
I wouldn't trust anything in the kickstarter comments given the cesspit of a place it is.

I'd take your assessment of it, over that place any day of the week given you've shown why you feel that way.

It's a blu ray case with a sleeve. The same as every other mass produced game out there. How's that any different from a typical game case? You were never promised a super duper deluxe physical version, and that's what you got. Slinging around words like 'trash' and 'insult' is so bizarly over the top.

Back