How do I do the Fangmei's birthday event?

What is the fastest way to get Fangmei to start calling Ryo by his first name?
Should I keep talking to her the day I am going to be stuck in the Wise Men's Qr finding out about Yuanda Zhu? (Also the day before you have to catch leaves to get the Wulinshu)

Only conversations in which you can make a choice add to your affection with her, and you'll only get around 5 such conversations a day, so there's no point in talking to her beyond that.

Other than that, here's the guide:

Fangmei:

Start Disc 2 of Shenmue II (i.e. start airing out the books) by February 25th. It's possible to complete the birthday sidequest starting later, but this gives you best results on all versions of the game. After airing out the books, talk to Fangmei. Walk away from her, and then walk towards her, and let her start a conversation with you. Many conversations have choices to make, and answering "wrong" will make her stop talking to you, but if you're paying attention the wrong answer should be obvious. Do this about 5-6 times every day.

February 27th: you should be at the point in the story where you can do Chawan signs. Do a Chawan sign at Man Mo Bistro, and follow the directions to Come Over Guest House and then Man Mo Park. Lose the QTE and fight; Xiuying will save you and Fangmei will look after you - this significantly raises her affection level for you. On the Xbox version (and possibly the re-release), Fangmei will not be around after this event.

February 28th: Go to Pigeon Park and talk to Eileen. From tomorrow onwards, both her and Fangmei (even if she previously disappeared) will be in Man Mo Bistro until 1:30pm.

March 1st: Go to Man Mo Bistro and talk to Fangmei and Eileen. Wait outside for the pair to leave, and then follow Eileen until she stops to look at some pots. Talk to her and you'll learn that Fangmei's birthday is on March 3rd.

March 2nd: Repeat the procedure, but this time follow Fangmei. When she passes Complete Clothier, a cutscene will play; head inside the store and buy her a present (for $150 - make sure you have the money!).

March 3rd: Head to Da Yuan Apartments and give her the present.

On your last day in Hong Kong: Head to Da Yuan Apartments and get a very special cutscene. Doing this will also give you a bonus cutscene at the end of the Kowloon part of the game.

Extra: On your first day of airing out the books, don't speak to anyone - just waste the entire day buying capsule toys. On the following day you'll get a cutscene with Fangmei where she tells you the Wulinshu is in the Man Mo Temple library.

Extra: After speaking to Fangmei and Eileen at Man Mo Bistro, head there anytime after 1:30pm for a unique QTE with Fangmei.

Extra: After speaking to Fangmei and Eileen at Man Mo Bistro, do the Chawan sign at Blue Sky Garden for a cutscene with them. They will not be around after this event (so make sure you do it on or after March 3rd).

Extra: After the fight in Dou Jiang Diner, go to the back of Man Mo Temple for yet another cutscene featuring Fangmei.

Hello, my first post on this forum...
Can I ask, do you need to do the Fangmei birthday event while you're still at Man Mo temple? I ask because I'm barely a week into February and I'm already on the Chawan sign bit. I've had a look on the faqs and I can't find any definitive word on this.
I know that Wise Man's quarter is closed when you start looking for Ren. If it becomes open again can you do the event then?

Can I ask, do you need to do the Fangmei birthday event while you're still at Man Mo temple? I ask because I'm barely a week into February and I'm already on the Chawan sign bit. I've had a look on the faqs and I can't find any definitive word on this.
I know that Wise Man's quarter is closed when you start looking for Ren. If it becomes open again can you do the event then?

You need to buy the gift while you're still at Man Mo Temple (i.e. while you're still doing Chawan signs).

After you've bought the gift, you can give it to Fangmei (on March 3rd) as long as you haven't yet met Ren (as you're then locked out of Wan Chai - although you can still use glitches to go there and do it).

Wise Men's Qr. is literally only closed for one cutscene - as soon as Joy appears in Lucky Charm Qr., it's open again.

I had the same problem in my play through, I was already at the chawan sign part by the middle of January, so you’d basically have to waste a month or two doing nothing and talk to her every chance to actually get to a point to start the event. Like @DigitalDuck said, the trigger to start it is February 27, so if you want to complete Fangmei event, you basically have to put the story on hold till then...

You need to buy the gift while you're still at Man Mo Temple (i.e. while you're still doing Chawan signs).

After you've bought the gift, you can give it to Fangmei (on March 3rd) as long as you haven't yet met Ren (as you're then locked out of Wan Chai - although you can still use glitches to go there and do it).

Wise Men's Qr. is literally only closed for one cutscene - as soon as Joy appears in Lucky Charm Qr., it's open again.

I guess then since I am looking for Ren I can no longer do the birthday event?

I guess then since I am looking for Ren I can no longer do the birthday event?

If you've bought the gift, you can still give it to her as long as you haven't yet met Ren.

If you haven't bought the gift, I believe it's too late.

It's a long wait if you carry the save game over from Shenmue. Found that out the hard way.

I am literally right at the point before meeting Ren in Aberdeen where you are asked to pay up but the streets had already been closed where fangmei goes so I dont know if I progressed too far. Im on February 16th and she goes to a market near the shop and just keeps standing there then returns to the apartments, Ive been leaving my pc on to timelapse.

I had the same problem in my play through, I was already at the chawan sign part by the middle of January, so you’d basically have to waste a month or two doing nothing and talk to her every chance to actually get to a point to start the event. Like @DigitalDuck said, the trigger to start it is February 27, so if you want to complete Fangmei event, you basically have to put the story on hold till then...
On the plus side, the Chawan sign is a good way of wasting time at the wrong cafe

Erm, I'm having trouble getting Fangmei to talk to me. I don't think she's initiated a conversation since the incident where I called her a cat....
But it's been a few days now. I've tried talking to her and we chat about what the flowers are like in Japan, whether I write home now and then...stuff like that. I've also tried talking to people around her, as well as leaving the area and coming back.
Sometimes when I talk to her, I get the option to ask about restaurants. I think this is only in Scarlet Hills.
Am I just missing something?

i was able to trigger the birthday scene. You can follow Eileen on feb 27th.

Erm, I'm having trouble getting Fangmei to talk to me. I don't think she's initiated a conversation since the incident where I called her a cat....
But it's been a few days now. I've tried talking to her and we chat about what the flowers are like in Japan, whether I write home now and then...stuff like that. I've also tried talking to people around her, as well as leaving the area and coming back.
Sometimes when I talk to her, I get the option to ask about restaurants. I think this is only in Scarlet Hills.

She should initiate a conversation whenever you walk near her. She ignores Ryo if you say something wrong to her, but I've never known her to continue ignoring the next day.

i was able to trigger the birthday scene. You can follow Eileen on feb 27th.

That's good news. So it seems it's not too late to buy her a gift even after being in Beverly Hills Wharf.

She should initiate a conversation whenever you walk near her. She ignores Ryo if you say something wrong to her, but I've never known her to continue ignoring the next day.
Could it be because it's not the 27th yet? Does that need to trigger before she speaks to me?
It might be worth noting I've already done the Man Mo fight(and lost). I've also already met Eileen.

Last edited:
Could it be because it's not the 27th yet? Does that need to trigger before she speaks to me?
It might be worth noting I've already done the Man Mo fight(and lost). I've also already met Eileen.

Nope, she'll speak to you at any time, so I don't know what's happening here.

Necro bumping this since I'm looking up old threads about this stuff. I'm pulling info from all sorts of forums & FAQs so I keep hearing different walkthroughs and theories. Big thanks to @DigitalDuck and everyone else for the good stuff!

I just had this happen to me, so I re-loaded an old save and did some trial & error.

I get the same issue as you whenever I do BOTH of these things:
#1.)
Learn the Chawan Sign from Guixiang. (I did this on February 23rd, in case anyone thinks the date matters)
#2.) Trigger the Fangmei "cat" scene. (I did this on February 24th, which was my third day airing books)
Whenever I did BOTH of these events then Fangmei would stop asking me questions, reducing us to just small-talk and me asking her about restaurants for the Chawan Sign.
BUT, if I only do ONE of these things then I can still converse with her like normal.

EXTRA NOTE: Triggering Eileen didn't affect any of the above, I tested to make sure. It's the same results whether Eileen is activated or not.

Other Notes:
--For triggering the Fangmei "cat" scene, I hear a lot of different info about how to do this but here's what I got:
This can occur once you've made it to your third day of airing books. A lot of people say the scene triggers at 10am but that's not really the case. It triggers when you have 5 piles of books remaining. So if you DON'T want to trigger the "cat" scene then don't move a lot of book piles (do only 8 piles or less). What sucks though is that this screws you out of getting a Move Scroll from Hanhui. Even if you don't trigger the "cat" scene on your third day of airing books it can still occur on the following days.

Another tip: the "cat" scene eats up 30 minutes of your remaining time to move the rest of your book piles. BUT you can easily avoid losing that time if you use the Circle-button to skip the "cat" scene. I'm guessing this trick only works in the HD remaster?

Random Unrelated Stuff:
--For Joy fans: Around this point of the game (after you get the Guilin Book and Mysterious Paper) you can find Joy inside the Pine Game Arcade, Golden Qr., sitting next to Space Harrier on the 1st floor. She oddly disappears after 7pm even though her motorcycle will still be outside the arcade.
A neat conversation with her though: If you talk to her AFTER you learn the Chawan Sign or AFTER you get a notebook clue on a restaurant you can use the Chawan Sign at (to get this clue you can talk to someone like Izumi @ Tomato Convenience Store) then you'll have a long conversation with her about Yuanda Zhu, and also Ryo's connection with her "Uncle Chen" (Master Chen) will be brought up.

That's all I got, folks.

Last edited:
I'm trying to do this right now and I've got Fangmei calling me Ryo-san and I've met Eileen, but I just found the paper that starts you doing chawan signs and its only late January. I'm not sure if I'm gonna be able to stall more than a month of game time just to activate this event. We'll see what happens tonight when I start playing lol

Back