How are you enjoying Shenmue 3 (No spoilers please)

Playing it right now and I’m really enjoying it and slowly getting immersed. I even like taking off Ryo’s jacket when it’s sunny and putting it on when it’s raining haha.

Really like training at the martial arts place in the morning on the way to the village, gambling at night and talking to Shenhua after a long day before going to sleep; you can have some really good convos with her. Bailu feels a bit like how I felt playing Shenmue 1 with the whole village/community feel.

I have played around 5 hours now and been side tracked a while with training and mini games. The story is just starting to get going now.
I'm enjoying it very much. Yes I see people's comments about stamina and yes at times it can get a little annoying but as I went on I don't mind it. I believe it's trying to slow you down to experience shenmue 3 more.
I am really enjoying the game so far.

I'm about 12 hours in and I've loved it so far. Story pacing is pretty slow, but I'm in no rush and it fits perfectly with Bailu. Bailu really reminds me of Yokosuka, it has been fun getting to know the locals and their weird personalities. It's exactly what I wanted from Shenmue 3.

I love it so far. It is Shenmue 3 alright. I think it is going to be a masterpiece for me. The new fighting system although different compared to the first 2 games is still good.

The only thing I consider a bit odd is the eating system I would have prefered if the eating stuff would be just important when fighting. The need to eat all time during the exploring seasons is something I need to get used to. No gamebreaker for me but still a con.

The atmosphere is also great. I really enjoy the talking events with Shenhua in the night time. They are really funny. It also nice to see that Ryo is really growing as person when talking to her.

So, 1 hour in (first day). I can see why people would complain about the game, its the most Shenmue feeling Shenmue game ever. By which I mean I think its glorious, but if you didn't like the last two, no chance you'll enjoy this.

The music might be the first thing that hit me. Its amazing. That team have already done an amazing job of setting the tone for each and every scene and area I've been in so far. A+ for effort so far. One thing that cracks me up though - a couple of small scenes start with a couple of familiar piano notes, almost sounds like (for the briefest moment) the game is gonna play the Sega tune "A Scattered Moment", which for those in the know with Yakuza music, is Ryuuji Goda's final fight theme, so that's got me on edge... don't need the Chi You Men and the Dragon of Kansia on my ass all at once!

Visually it definitely looks like how I'd want a Shenmue game to look in this day and age. Very sharp and colourful, with acceptable character models that ooze with life just like the last two games. I don't mind the change to certain people (Shenhua still looks great, new outfit and all). Day/night cycle looks amazing, exactly what I'd expect it to look like given the tech.

Animation and cutscene wise I find it fine. Again, totally see why people bring it up as a potential issue but darn its so Shenmue. I'm already invested with seeing where each and every tiny plot point goes.

Chopping wood seems fun, finding that sweet spot is tough on the smaller logs. Not tried lucky hit etc. yet. Pale toss seems just a case of finding the sweet spot on throws.

Now combat, of which I've done none yet - so can only a small number be assigned to skill books (those that can be upgraded?) As my favourite moves (Double Blow) can't be auto assigned.

Loved exploring each tiny little detail in Shenhua's house all over again. Its a pity they had to end 2 the way they did, as many of the little changes (outfit, new room etc.) would not be an issue if you'd met Shenhua previously. No matter, its a tiny change, not really a complaint at all.

So all in all. I love it. Just getting to do into Baihu Village makes this a 10 for me. Just seeing past that damn cave ending!

The menus need to be completely rebuilt if they get to make another Shenmue. They’re cluttered and a bit hard to read. Someone needs to pay a consultant a good bit of money to help Yu Suzuki with presentation. He is clearly a bit behind on GUIs and just an overall sense of what looks appealing to people in the modern era...

Yeah, I remember seeing the menus when playing the demo and thinking, “what the fuck am I supposed to do here”. Sadly, they’re unchanged. I’ve been able to get used to them, but yeah, they need to be simplified for the future.

I just had my first actual fight against multiple opponents, and I got my ass kicked like, three times. I really like how you have to plan out how and when to take out each opponent. Really gives a sense of danger, strategy, and it just feels like a real fight. About the combat system, the impact is there, but that’s really only because of the sound effects. It’s a shame that the animations were taken a little further. Otherwise though, I dig it.

Oh, and I really wish that the original notebook sound effect for new entries was kept. Little things like that and new item sound effect really help add cohesiveness to the series. Oh well.

The start was a little rough. The cutscene transitions and such are really strange. The implementation of the music is sloppy.

Other than that, I am absolutely loving the game. I can’t believe it. I found myself subconsciously looking for markers on a map to point me to my next goal. I was then reminded quickly that I was actually playing Shenmue 3. And all was right in the universe.

I've only played maybe 10-15 minutes, and don't have the day 1 patch installed yet (with my internet, it said about 63 hours to download...) but I certainly had a similar feeling about the opening scenes/dialogue/transitions. A bit choppy and unnatural.

And...well, this is Shenmue, so it should be expected, but the controls feel a little weird. Of course, I've been mostly playing Breath of the Wild and I'm currently used to that. Completely unfair to judge one against the other in that respect.

I'm sure after I'm able to put more time in and get more into "Shenmue Mode" I'll love it. It feels very Shenmue-y. Like many said based on the demos....for better and for worse. It's kind of weird after 18 years to run around with Ryo and his response to everything is still "I see." Also I feel like when I hear people say "Ryo" it sounds like "Will" or something to me. Not Dio. Or Ryo. I suppose it's more accurate, and it was directed that way...but...

Again, I'm sure I'll love it when I get my mindset straight. Honestly, it's just kind of surreal to even be playing a new Shenmue game. Part of me is now oddly hesitant. It's one thing to want something for 14 or so years thinking you'll never get it...then a miracle happens and it gets developed and you wait another 4 years. After all that, I don't know how to explain it...but, I'm just a little hesitant to dive in.

Edit: Not to harp on the negative, but I also found the recap movie to be somewhat odd. The small screen. The subtitles not matching what the voiceover is actually saying. The fact that when they put the Four Wude on there they don't explain what they mean. Just "Gon" - "Dan" - "Jie" - "Yi", so I guess we expect newcomers to look that up after they read it? If I remember right, the narrator guy doesn't even say the words...they just pop up over the video. So if someone is watching the video they may miss it entirely. Just seemed an odd choice for something I thought was relatively important to the story in II.

Like most others, not a fan of losing HP just from walking around, but, I'll survive and get used to it.

It was nice to buy a capsule toy after all these years (I got Ine-san).

Last edited:
Yeah, I remember seeing the menus when playing the demo and thinking, “what the fuck am I supposed to do here”. Sadly, they’re unchanged. I’ve been able to get used to them, but yeah, they need to be simplified for the future.

I just had my first actual fight against multiple opponents, and I got my ass kicked like, three times. I really like how you have to plan out how and when to take out each opponent. Really gives a sense of danger, strategy, and it just feels like a real fight. About the combat system, the impact is there, but that’s really only because of the sound effects. It’s a shame that the animations were taken a little further. Otherwise though, I dig it.
I just don't get how the trips from Adam Boyes, that other Sony dude, Cedric, etc. didn't give anyone an opportunity to say, "Hey, Yu, great game-but why don't you get some outside help on the menus?" I know making a GUI isn't as easy as it seems...that much is obvious. But I think they could've figured something out. I doubt it was Yu's dream to have a game filled with cluttered menus.

These sorts of things stop bothering me and I assume many of you after a couple hours, but think how they appear to people who aren't already sold on Shenmue.

I think I got rain on my 3rd day. I mean, I heard rain, ground looked wet and all but I didn't really see any raindrops. It only lasted for a short while.

I've had rain twice I think. It was hard to see the first time at first, but then I think it got heavier and I could see it much better.

I've had rain twice I think. It was hard to see the first time at first, but then I think it got heavier and I could see it much better.
Yeah, that's what I thought as well. Similar to Shenmue 2 in that respect where at times it was almost impossible to make out, other times it was chucking it down. Audio for those few moments were damn nice though.

Oh, one thing I am enjoying is Ryo's actual personality in this one. Seems that he has more personality here than in previous games - He actually laughed for once, which in turn made me laugh as he's always so serious/driven most of the time. So yeah, those Shenhua conversations are required, its a gold mine of info and character backstory for both characters.

I got rain on my second day, while chopping wood and it looked GLORIOUS!

Anyways, I'm a bit over 10 hours in.

Just want to get out of the way that, as mentioned yesterday, the Stamina system is perfectly fine and people are just whining, I feel (not flame bait and I'll tell you why it isn't), because once you fully train up Horse Stance and One Inch Punch (which doesn't take as long as you'd think), you can run around the entire village and NEVER have to eat to replace stamina, only if you wish to fight.

Seriously, train diligently every day without neglect (Dan) and the Stamina system won't even be on the back of your mind, as it is inconsequential. Like the Ryu ga Gotoku/Yakuza titles, starting with Ishin: trying to run in the early game is a MAJOR hassle and constantly slows you down, while not allowing you to get out of jams or escape pursuers (if you need to). Once you hit the mid chapters, you have enough cash/CP to up the running stamina, until it no longer becomes an issue. This is the SAME THING, just the method to increase stamina is different, nothing more.

I still don't get why people were so bothered by it; it can be an inconvenience at first, sure, but the game teaches you lessons and by following them, you are satiated: isn't that one of the absolute major reasons why we love Shenmue?

I do agree though, that making it separate from health proper would've probably been the wiser decision.

Anyways:

Gameplay:
+ This is a FUN game; so much to do, so many systems to master, so many little quirks and whatnot between fighting, fishing, minigames etc., this is as varied as you can get and aside from the fighting (I feel), virtually everything is pick up and play.
+ Wood chopping is fun and love the Unused Track from SII once you hit... Sunset Hill, is it? Great way to earn money before fishing begins.
+ Fishing is awesome and even though it WILL be a grind, I feel the 1,000 fish can be obtained no problem, as the system works super well and is very easy.
+ The racing betting games are a ton of fun and not too difficult
+ The red rings are thankfully a godsend, IMO, as I would miss quite a few things if they weren't there (32 inch screen, 1080p and my eyesight is not stellar from far away)
+ Training and sparring is a ton of fun and by making it something you have to monitor and not just mash away (ala 'mue 1, where you just keep doing the inputs), makes it more engaging.

- Fighting, while not bad at all, definitely will take some getting used to; I'm ok for now, but at a higher difficulty, I don't think I'd win ANY fight :(
- Floaty Lucky Hit balls!!! Grr!!!!!! Yes, it helped me win one yesterday, but they bother me.
- Maybe I'm spoiled because of the Yakuza series, but not knowing about sidequests until walking up to somebody, I'm not a fan of; if this ws the only hand-holding mechanic that existed in the game, I would definitely accept it (I don't like my hand being held). This is a personal gripe though and not an inherent flaw with the game.

Story:
Not going to touch this yet but so far, it is phenomenal.

Graphics:
+ Environments are breathtaking.
+ Fighting animations rock.
+ Love little touches, such as when the wood comes flying at the screen if chopped at a certain angle.
+ Game looks great on the surface and there are a lot of details that are superb as well.

- That being said, if I were to grade this game in a review, I'd probably give it a 8/10 for graphics (I have a feeling once we leave Bailu, it would be higher), from what I've seen thus far... because!
- Falling animations are middling/ok
- Mouth animations are a touch inconsistent, even in the Japanese dub. I don't care, but for those that do...

These graphics don't bother me in the slightest and they're awesome!

Sound:
+ My vote for the best part of the game:
+ Voice-acting is PHENOMENAL in the Japanese dub
+ Sound effects for fighting and general sounds, are fantastic as well
+ Music is superb, even if some tracks are recycled (but many are remixed, at least)

Can't think of a single con with the sounds.

We have a winner on our hands for sure; can't wait to spend even more hours on this! :D

Last edited:
Back