How are you enjoying Shenmue 3 (No spoilers please)

Is it only me or is the Bailu theme coming on for a Split second between loading and the actual sparing in martial hall? It sounds so strange.

Not that it matters for me, though

4 hours of playing. Love it so far.

Just one thing to complain: The Stamina thing.. Its so annoying.. I don't even want to run anymore because I'm afraid I will loose HP. The Stamina thing destroys a bit of the Shenmue spirit for me... Why is there not just an option to disable it? :-[

Man, I remember asking for the implementation of a stamina bar YEARS ago on the old old Shenmue forum, thinking it would be a good idea (giving purpose to buying the chips and chocolate bars from the first two games). Now that it’s here in Shenmue 3...yeah, not the biggest fan of it. I don’t hate it, but it can get to you.

Yeah the stamina bar is pretty lame. Like Rei_RICE said I basically don't run anywhere to conserve stamina. I wonder if you play on Easy if that'll negate or lessen the impact of the stamina system.

Aside from that though I'm loving the game and the warm atmosphere. I'm having so much fun just exploring and looking around. I never thought I could be so enthralled by opening drawers that the game would have to nudge me along with a time restraint lol.

I have all kinds of questions but I kind of just want to try and figure out what I can this first time around. Have fun guys!

Yes even with very high endurance later in the game I always felt I was micromanaging my endurance. It’s clear Suzuki liked this idea of interconnected systems but I think it’s implementation could be adjusted. If you go into any venture area you can see your stamina decrease even if you are standing still or walking. It of course depletes much faster running.

Can someone provide info how the PS4 version runs on base PS4? How is the frame rate, some texture loading issues, or long loading, etc.?

I'm actually extremely mad that the combat system has no alternate options, I mean am I mistaken or wasn't there a comment where they said they were going to also put in a system to make it play like 1 & 2? Well if you're wondering it's not in here. I guess I'll be getting used to face button combinations. Such a shame, good bye Virtua Fighter lineage.

Only negative i have is why certain tracks ( Especially new ones) dont seem to loop - I have even extended songs of other games to like 10 hours in Fl studio. The fact is the songs have a proper looping point aswell .. They just aren't

?_?

I'm actually extremely mad that the combat system has no alternate options, I mean am I mistaken or wasn't there a comment where they said they were going to also put in a system to make it play like 1 & 2? Well if you're wondering it's not in here. I guess I'll be getting used to face button combinations. Such a shame, good bye Virtua Fighter lineage.

That was never promised, discussed or mentioned. We knew for longest time the VF engine was going to be revamped since they had to build a new fighting engine for UE4.

What you may be talking about is you have automatic transmission where came sets all new move scrolls on bumper or you can set game to manual transmission and have 4 different sets where you can customize what move scrolls you want to assign.

YsNet themselves never said that, but people got that idea from the existence of "automatic" and "manual" combat mode. In reality, automatic just means your hotkey'd moveset that you can cycle through is automatically configured, while manual means you determine which moves can be cycled through.

YsNet themselves never said that, but people got that idea from the existence of "automatic" and "manual" combat mode. In reality, automatic just means your hotkey'd moveset that you can cycle through is automatically configured, while manual means you determine which moves can be cycled through.
That was never promised, discussed or mentioned. We knew for longest time the VF engine was going to be revamped since they had to build a new fighting engine for UE4.

What you may be talking about is you have automatic transmission where came sets all new move scrolls on bumper or you can set game to manual transmission and have 4 different sets where you can customize what move scrolls you want to assign.
Ah, okay. Well then less mad and more disappointed. Face button combination moves are trash.

Maybe I'm in the minority here....but I actually don't mind the stamina bar. If anything I feel it gives reason to keep earning money and never burn out on activities. I don't know...I usually hate stamina bars in games in general....but for whatever reason, I'm not entirely hating this. Which is a surprise to me because I honestly thought I would have hated it.

Maybe I'm in the minority here....but I actually don't mind the stamina bar. If anything I feel it gives reason to keep earning money and never burn out on activities. I don't know...I usually hate stamina bars in games in general....but for whatever reason, I'm not entirely hating this. Which is a surprise to me because I honestly thought I would have hated it.
I don't mind it either and I find the more you train the less is tends to matter. My Kung-Fu is at level 28 overall and I barely eat anything when moving around Bailu now. I always stop by and chop wood or fish for a bit of cash to blow on capsules or other bits and bobs.

I've played it for about 3 hours. I knew that the first hour or so I would feel a bizarre sense of emptiness (the chase is often more exciting than the catch) and I wasn't sure I liked it.

Then I slept on it and played it for two hours and i'm starting to get used to it. I don't mind the lack of handholding, but I do think that for newcomers, it might all be a bit obtuse and overwhelming. I can't say I like the way the cut scenes are done with fade in and outs and the music while good, seems a bit shrill and repetitive. The stamina thing doesn't really do it for me either and i'm struggling with the fighting system.

My favourite thing so far is the conversations with Shenhua at night and the ambience in the evening.

I sound quite negative, but I remind myself that I didn't like Shenmue II much to begin with and then I adored it once it clicked.

I'll keep trying :)

Right now enjoying my favorite streamer play it. He loves the game so far and the viewers are hyped. 6k viewers, still early game.

Link going in the spoiler section if anyone is interested

Last edited:
I wish S3 had the function of yakuza where you can hesl yourself before people.. To many times i have comed with drained energy and ended up with a cutscene and a fight where i have 300hp istead of 1300

Back