Here's hoping...

So Yu and us fans should get a rushed story and game because some people are negative about Shenmue 3? I don't agree with that at all. To me, Shenmue is about the journey, and Ryo still has a way to go in his training, to skip all that just to get this series finished to please some negatively wouldn't be right. I'm hoping for at least 5 games. With it now being on PC sales targets can still be hit in the long run since its on a digital store at all times, not just for one generation of a console, sales will also get a spike in a years time when it comes out on Steam. I'll be purchasing a Steam copy on day 1 to show my support as will many other Shenmue fans, along with the people who have waited to not purchase it on Epic. Shenmue is in a lot safer position then it was in 2000/2001.
I'm OK with people doing that, as long as they understand only the initial PC sales will prove to publishers they should help Shenmue 4 exist on PC. If like me they took a Steam key as an option, and Epic key now, whether for religious reasons they use them or not. I've nothing to say against them. Buying a discounted Steam version may be good for people personally, I don't see it showing the publishers that matter that they should help fund a Shenmue 4 on PC. Forget 5. Hell yes, you think I don't want 5 after this morning playing? I want 6! But this is life. Show Deep Silver their deal was worth it. Steam won't give a red cent for Shenmue 4, you know that man. Come on.

What we have to remember is he had to build everything up, which is why the Kickstarter was put forth. It was both to gauge interest and build a team, equipment, engine, etc.

All of that is now in place, so I don't think they'll do another crowdfunding. If anything, we may get further investments from Sega or Sony, which may help elevate it upwards from just a AA title..though, even if it stays budgeted and can be refined, I'm okay with that.

What we have to remember is he had to build everything up, which is why the Kickstarter was put forth. It was both to gauge interest and build a team, equipment, engine, etc.

All of that is now in place, so I don't think they'll do another crowdfunding. If anything, we may get further investments from Sega or Sony, which may help elevate it upwards from just a AA title..though, even if it stays budgeted and can be refined, I'm okay with that.
I think parts of it as is are plain beautiful. I've noticed some very nice detail on clothing and so on. The faces on some have that stupid Nintendo touch they didn't need, but that's their choice. Let them improve a bit, and sure. It'll be great.

Honestly guys i think Shenmue 3 will be the last.

I don't see Sega or Deep Silver put money on Shenmue 4, and even less another kickstarter ( lol )

Honestly guys i think Shenmue 3 will be the last.

I don't see Sega or Deep Silver put money on Shenmue 4, and even less another kickstarter ( lol )
I sincerely hope you're wrong. But who knows. IMO it's because SEGA has nothing to do with it anymore that at least the 4th will come out. Why would you not be for another kickstarter? You'd not put any money down?

I sincerely hope you're wrong. But who knows. IMO it's because SEGA has nothing to do with it anymore that at least the 4th will come out. Why would you not be for another kickstarter? You'd not put any money down?

Shenmue 3 kicked up so much unnecessary negative press that idk Kickstarter would be a good option. Only the diehard community would support another Kickstarter IMO. At the end of the day if sales aren't the greatest just finish the series with a budget of 7-10 million for each game. That should be enough to make profit. IMO

I can see 4 happening without much difficulty so long as 3 isn’t a complete flop, which I don’t think will happen. But yeah, 5 and 6 have me more worried. The fourthwill have to pick up momentum to really make a profit.

I’d really rather him focus a lot on advancing the story in 4 and complete the series with 5. That would make the pitch for 5 easier with the “This is the final game, just let me finish the story” bit.
That's about how I feel. With renewed interest and the groundwork already laid, I'd be pretty surprised if we don't see a IV sooner rather than later. I wouldn't even be surprised if IV already has some work done for it, like we saw the first time around, with a lot of stuff from Shenmue II appearing in old promo materials, videos, and even the demo for the first game.

V and VI definitely seem a bit iffier, and I'd be fairly content to end things with V. I mean, if we can keep going indefinitely, sure, I'm game, but there are just some practical realities to face.

Buy one retail copy(New) a month or every other month if you can. This will raise the success rate. If we can cross that 1m mark in the long game, it'd be a guaranteed.
I recall this one dude who’d get on Twitter and beg like the Sultan of Brunei to give the Kickstarter hundreds of millions of dollars. Does anyone remember this? He was totally serious. I think he might’ve been banned from here because he wouldn’t knock it off.

Buy one retail copy(New) a month or every other month if you can. This will raise the success rate. If we can cross that 1m mark in the long game, it'd be a guaranteed.
I might do something along those lines.

Back in the day, I bought copies of Shenmue II for Xbox whenever I could get my hands on them just to pass out to friends and acquaintances. Of course, Shenmue III wasn't likely at all at that point, it was onlyto share the love. Yeah, it was a little silly, but if it made fans out of even just one or two of them...

Nothings wrong with double dipping, but I think what'll probably encourage more progress with Shenmue is just buying merch, and people inevitably getting curious when it ends up on sale, something like Game Pass or Humble Monthly, that kind of thing. This probably isn't like back then where you only could buy physical copies and if it ended up outta print, you'd be out of luck.

I'm a bit nervous, but semi-confident Shenmue 4 will happen.

If Shenmue 3 does badly (unlikely), I could see Shibuya and YS Net pumping out the 4th game on a similar scale to Shenmue 3 purely to wrap up the remaining 5 Chapters based on Cedric's "Shenmue 4 has a 50:50 chance if Shenmue 3 fails" comment.

Seeing how Shenmue 3 managed to cover Chapters 3-6 and still had time to flesh out its world, I don't think Shenmue 4 covering Chapters 7-11 in one game is an impossible feat.

nyehh... Not quite.

it covered PARTS of chapter 4, all of 5 and the beginning/mid of chapter 6, they said (gotta find the thread where we discussed it). IV would most-likely end off 6 (or DLC will do that, who knows?), cover 7 and go into 8.

This is why I feel V would be the logical end-point: Start with 9, end with 11 and maybe do a DLC to flesh out a chapter or something.

Covering 5 chapters in a single game isn't impossible, but it would either need to be:

1. A minimum 150 hour game (WAY too much for a main story)
2. Have a shit-ton of DLC episodes
3. Cut out a MAJOR part/parts of the story

I'd be cool with the first two, though 1 is unlikely. 2 is the most logical from a cost and logistics standpoint, 3 is what Yu would need to be forced into, because he's mentioned he doesn't want to do 4 games.

While he wants to do 6, I think a compromise with 5 would be best, IMO.

We will see!

I recall this one dude who’d get on Twitter and beg like the Sultan of Brunei to give the Kickstarter hundreds of millions of dollars. Does anyone remember this? He was totally serious. I think he might’ve been banned from here because he wouldn’t knock it off.

Man let's contact Elon Musk, this guy put millions for a flame-thrower, he could spent a few more millions for Shenmue 4/5/6. *elon musk smoking meme*

Here's hoping Shenmue 3 actually sells enough copies so we can get a 4th game.

Just finished it. I don't like the ending. Being honest here. I hate the shoddy translations, not because I don't understand what's meant, but because of the reaction that will get from casual players, unless it's at all possible to fix at this point. I loved the new combat system, and by the end I really was able to do my favorite moves OK at will. Overall it's a good Shenmue game. Not perfect, but I enjoyed it a lot. It has to sell well, there has to be a part 4. After this ending, there better be.

I haven't beaten the game yet(no where close), but I'm willing to bet the farm that the story DLC will bridge the gap to lead more up to IV.

I haven't beaten the game yet(no where close), but I'm willing to bet the farm that the story DLC will bridge the gap to lead more up to IV.
Well I've season pass, so when they come I'll play them. I still think before any of them they need a major patch for the English version. I also now would admit they needed to delay for a few more months. I'd hate it if they announced it back then, but if it's not ready, it's not ready. Now, who knows if they can even do it. Some of it is voiced over with mistakes, it'd take the same voice actor re recording.

Back