Has Corey Marshall done any post launch interviews?

Yup, there was a stream about last week where he and these other two hosts, along with the voice of Tom(Shenmue 3) were all playing along. He loves Shenmue 3, I asked him certain questions as well :)

He is also on Facebook almost every day he posts his love, or comments on Shenmue 3.

Here is the video, towards the end I asked(1:11:06) him what it meant that the fans practically demanded that he return, and proceeds to say that he was extremely touched by us all and thank you . In that response he goes over how he was approached by the team to reprise his role as Ryo Hazuki!

Enjoy :)

Last edited:
Yup, there was a stream about last week where he and these other two hosts, along with the voice of Tom(Shenmue 3) were all playing along. He loves Shenmue 3, I asked him certain questions as well :)

He is also on Facebook almost every day he posts his love, or comments on Shenmue 3.

Here is the video, towards the end I asked(1:11:06) him what it meant that the fans practically demanded that he return, and proceeds to say that he was extremely touched by us all and thank you . In that response he goes over how he was approached by the team to reprise his role as Ryo Hazuki!

Enjoy :)
Thanks for sharing. He is such a cool dude

I wonder how he feels about everyone bashing his voice acting in every review.

For what it's worth, I unironically think that he's always done an excellent job as Ryo. I may be in the minority but I know I'm not the only one.

Kind of a weird combination of people in that stream though. The English voice of Ryo Hazuki for the last 19 years and......some guy that recorded two telephone conversations for Shenmue III in which he does a poor impersonation of Ryan Drees.

I think he would be fine if the script was better and they let him actually act. Apparently they told him to act wooden in Shenmue 3 to stay consistent with 1 and 2.

I think the reason he was so awkward in the first two was because they recorded certain phrases and patched them together in the game. “[Do you know anything about] [the four wude].” Could be wrong about that but I think I heard Corey say that years ago.

I think he would be fine if the script was better and they let him actually act. Apparently they told him to act wooden in Shenmue 3 to stay consistent with 1 and 2.

I think the reason he was so awkward in the first two was because they recorded certain phrases and patched them together in the game. “[Do you know anything about] [the four wude].” Could be wrong about that but I think I heard Corey say that years ago.
Also, some of the translation is just so awkward and at times too literal. At the beginning of Shenmue II, for example, he responds to one of the NPCs by saying "Yes, actually." It sounds pretty awkward but that's because nobody speaks like that in real life.

But I always thought that he did a great job in major cutscenes where emotion was required.

And does anyone else find it awesome that he named his daughter not only after a Japanese sword but also one of the original code names for the Dreamcast?

For what it's worth, I unironically think that he's always done an excellent job as Ryo. I may be in the minority but I know I'm not the only one.

Kind of a weird combination of people in that stream though. The English voice of Ryo Hazuki for the last 19 years and......some guy that recorded two telephone conversations for Shenmue III in which he does a poor impersonation of Ryan Drees.
That's so true, it should have been Joy's VA since she actually came back for the phone conversation this time. But Corey and Bill are friends in real life though.

I wonder how he feels about everyone bashing his voice acting in every review.
It sucks because it's not him, it's the writing.

Literally the first thing my wife said when she heard me playing Shenmue III was, "Oh, he sounds way better now, less robotic".

His actual delivery, line by line, is a huge improvement over the previous games -- a lot more natural, with a wider range of emotion -- but that doesn't mean much when the writing itself is, unfortunately, unnatural and rough in spots.

He’s definitely better but they really held him back. The other voice actors don’t sound wooden. They’re actually pretty good.

I’m still convinced it’s not Corey. It’s the direction and the script/translation.

Despite what some people think, im so grateful they dubbed Shenmue 3 and got Corey back. :D
Agreed. I was so happy shortly after the Kickstarter began when they confirmed that Corey would be returning.

I also don't think that the dub was a waste of money since we ended up basically getting a full-fledged Shenmue experience anyway. If they really wanted to put more of the budget towards other things, they could have not even had voice acting at all (or only during cutscenes). But as it stands, I think they hit the best possible balance with the budget they had to deliver the best game they could and make the most fans happy.

Bill Butts is a real life friend of Corey, Im assuming Corey gave him a referral to voice Tom since the original guy wasnt secured

That would have been a travesty. Would have taken away so much of what makes Shenmue, well Shenmue.
I agree, I'm just saying that I think they allocated the budget perfectly (or the best they could with what they had). Dubbing the game and bringing back Corey was the right decision.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how old Corey Marshall is? I saw a pic of him in an article when he was recording lines for Shenmue 1 and he looked to be in his early to mid 20s. So he’s gotta be in his 40s now, right?

[...] Im assuming Corey gave him a referral to voice Tom since the original guy wasnt secured
You don't secure the Drees, you stand back at a safe distance and watch in awe as he unleashes the voice-acting beast.

Back