Hands on Review - Screenrant: Shenmue 3 Would Be Great If It Released 15 Years Ago

RDR2 is terribly overrated and bored me more than Shenmue 1 or 2 ever did, even upon replaying the ports. The NPCs are generic, the animation very wooden at times, and the plot as generic as it gets. I think it's time for the games media to reevaluate what they're looking for in a game... Won't even touch on RDR2's completely awful combat...

I may be harsh but pretty all modern action-adventure games are overrated to me. It would be a real unfairness to see Shenmue III getting mixed reviews for having "dated" feeling while the so-called "modern" games are themselves designed in a dated shape inherited from Ubisoft/Rockstar 2000's era, with gameplay mainly based on brainless completion, time-consuming skill-tree, artificial RPG mechanics and suspicious use of ragdoll.

If Shenmue 3 manages to be faithful to the original episodes as the last hands-on impressions suggest, they have no other choice to give it good reviews, it's as simple as that. But we know professionalism is not a word they learned well so I'm not expecting anything...

A journalist should judge the for what is is, and not compare it with your basic AAA game. Shenmue is budget Game, so the standards should be a bit lower. It is not fair to compare a game with some unlimited budget and a game that has to be very careful with their funds.

But yes I am fully admit that i am biased. I like old school and not a fan of modern games at all. If modern day journalists like a game it is almost certain that for my personal taste it is trash. Jouranlists liked, Red Dead Redemption 2, God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn. To me these games are the essence of boredom without any soul.

But that is just my personal taste, not main stream enough.

The journalists expect main stream, but forget that main stream consts lots of money. A Budget that that Ys does not have.

They should acknowledge this fact at least.

Of course the gameplay demo was not appealing enough for the main stream. It was not a spectacular showspiece that was just made for the E3. It showed some aspects that Shenmue is a about. Some people might consider it as boring but it is more honest than making a super stylish gameplay segment that has nothing to do with the game.

This would just be another nail in the coffin for Shenmue3. The haters would have just more ammo, if there is some footage shown that is not as good lucking in the game as it was in the demo.

You remember the Pudlle Gate "affair" Insomniac had to face thanks to some plain puddles from the footage of a erlier E3?

The honest approach form Ys net is much better.

And there is also one important question: If you make Shenmue more mainstream would it still be Shenmue?

Everbody will have a different answer to this question. I personally thinkt it would be the same game anymore, if it gets to modern. We would have icons every where that shows some random tasks that nothing to do with the main story. You have to run arround in the world, to this stuff, and when you are there you already forgotten what the main task was about.

A common feat for the average modern opern world game.
As you point out, Shenmue isn’t a game that will appeal to mainstream gamers. Unfortunately, the key demographic of these publications is.... you guessed it, mainstream gamers.

A lot of the negative previews did point out the low budget and small team (albeit as reasoning for why the game has technical issues), but when it comes to buying a full-priced game, do you feel that the game’s budget would (or should) be a consideration for consumers? Personally, I don’t. A game should be judged on it’s merits rather than the circumstances surrounding development.

Let me ask you this. If you stripped all Shenmue branding and identifying factors from the footage you’ve seen of the game so far (ie, if it were a new IP), would you be excited to play it?

Last edited:
Let me ask you this. If you stripped all Shenmue branding and identifying factors from the footage you’ve seen of the game so far (ie, if it were a new IP), would you be excited to play it?

For me, not really. Only because the elements I enjoy most about Shenmue (the atmosphere when walking the streets and the detective work) aren't shown in these gameplay videos. I would notice how lifeless all the characters are though, which I find off-putting even as a fan.

However, because I know it's a Shenmue game, I'm still excited to get my hands on it.

For me, not really. Only because the elements I enjoy most about Shenmue (the atmosphere when walking the streets and the detective work) aren't shown in these gameplay videos. I would notice how lifeless all the characters are though, which I find off-putting even as a fan.

However, because I know it's a Shenmue game, I'm still excited to get my hands on it.
This is exactly how I feel about it. With that in mind, to expect people who are not fans of the series, either due to disliking or not playing the first two games, to feel the same way seems both unreasonable and unrealistic to me.

I suppose it’s easier to criticize others for doing their job than to accept that something you love appeals to a very niche audience and that that love is perhaps driven more by nostalgia than anything else though.

I still would find it interesting. Would remind me a bit of Life is Strange, a series that I like. And it would also remind of old School Action Adventure that I like too. But I would not be hyped About it, I have to admit: I would just Keep on my Radar and it I would not consider it as a must buy like S3.

from my Point of view it ok that they Mention some Things negativly from a modern Point of view. Too me this exaggerated. Graphic and animations are not everything. They are other factors that make a game good.

Same Thing with the controlls. If you Show enough Determination you can handle almost every controll Setup. But a more complex controll System is Nothing for the average lazy main stream gamer.

But fair enough, These things might turn of the main stream today.

If Shenmue 3 manages to be faithful to the original episodes as the last hands-on impressions suggest, they have no other choice to give it good reviews, it's as simple as that.
So if I were to develop a sequel to ‘Big Riggs’ that had fewer courses and fewer trucks but faithfully recreated all of the same flaws, it would deserve acclaim?

The real problem here is that from what we have been shown, a lot of the things that made the first two games great are worse now than they were in the first two games, a lot of the things that made the first two games innovative and unique have become standard with many of those elements being refined or improved by other games and a lot of the things that people didn’t like about the first two games have been faithfully recreated.

Environments: At the time of release, Shenmue’s environments were some of the most realistic around. While passable in the new game, they are no longer cutting edge.
Characters: The original games had a huge cast of fully voiced NPCs that looked amazing for the time. The NPCs all had daily cycles too which helped bring an air of realism to the world they inhabited. The new game has a smaller cast that is only partially voiced (although those that are suffer from the same poor dub). Many of the models look like nightmare fuel and although we’ve been told they will all have their own daily cycles, we’ve been told by reviewers that many just stand around like mannequins.
Day / Night Cycle: At the time, it wasn’t common place, but now it is pretty much a standard in all games of this type and has been for some time.
Real Time Weather: While this was a pretty cool feature, it didn’t really add much to the experience and I’d wager many didn’t even know about it. From what we’ve seen of Shenmue 3, there’s no guarantee that it even features dynamic weather.
Mini Games: At the time, it was really amazing to be able to play other games within the game. This is now a lot more common and the mini games in Shenmue 3 now seem to be pretty much luck based games with no real skill required. They did bring back forklifts though (something many people disliked about the original game). There are some ‘skill’ based games, but they simply require a button press at the right time (similar to a rhythm game). Hardly groundbreaking.
Music: The original games had a great score. We know very little about the score for the new game although I recall reading that they would be reusing old assets.
Story: The original games had great stories that really captivated players and got them emotionally invested in the characters. We know very little about the next part of the story, but jumping in a third of the way through will be off-putting for new players.
Combat: The original games had fantastic combat for the time, but from what we’ve seen, combat doesn’t look as good this time and from what we’ve been told, there will be fewer moves and it doesn’t feel right to control.
Animation: Great for the time of release in the original games. Far superior to what we’ve seen so far. I’d go as far as to say that some of the animation is bad. Lip-syncing is a mess too.
Capsule Toys: It was really cool to be able to pick up capsule toys of SEGA characters. Not sure how hyped I am for bananas and fishing lures this time around though.
Interaction: Being able to pick stuff up in a shop before buying it was really cool. Now we’ll be selecting items from a list like every other game out there.

I could go on all day here.

From what we have been shown, Shenmue 3 is at best a replication of the original games and at worst, a poor attempt to recreate the style of a game that is two decades old.

Until it’s released and we get to experience the story and see how much polish they’ve been able to apply, we won’t really know which it is.

Whichever it turns out to be though doesn’t make it ‘good’. From the perspective of a gaming journalist, what’s ‘good’ is a game that is fun to play and can draw and maintain the attention of gamers. I don’t know if any amount of polish can achieve that looking at the game’s current state.

I do not care a lot About Reviews. My opinion is normaly totally different from the main stream opinion. When gaming journalists like a game, the Chance is hight that I do not like it.

And when journalists do not like a game, the Chance is hight that is actually good.

Of Course there are many People that trust this gaming Websites, but this People are not the target audiance of the game. Shenmue 3 is game for the fans. This is the most important thing. It is not for the call of Duty and fortnite Kids.

Maybe the afford of the fans is enough to make 4 a Reality. If not I hope that the Story will be concluded in another media type.

Shenmue must stay Shenmue. A Shenmue with main stream Appeal would not a Shenmue anymore.

Characters: The original games had a huge cast of fully voiced NPCs that looked amazing for the time. The NPCs all had daily cycles too which helped bring an air of realism to the world they inhabited. The new game has a smaller cast that is only partially voiced (although those that are suffer from the same poor dub). Many of the models look like nightmare fuel and although we’ve been told they will all have their own daily cycles, we’ve been told by reviewers that many just stand around like mannequins.

Only a very few NPCs in Shenmue II have daily cycles. Most are fixed in the same place 24/7 with a looping animation, or randomly spawned pedestrians to fill the street.

Only a very few NPCs in Shenmue II have daily cycles. Most are fixed in the same place 24/7 with a looping animation, or randomly spawned pedestrians to fill the street.
I was referring mainly to the first game here, of course (although with the second game being much larger, it was a lot less obvious than it would have been in the intimate setting of Yokosuka). This still doesn’t detract from the fact that the series has regressed in this regard and from what we’ve heard, a lot of the NPCs currently lack the animation loops that were seen in S2.

'You can't just open up the menu, switch over to the skill tree, and hold down A to unlock a new ability. Instead, you must learn how Ryo would in-universe'

I don't see how this is a bad thing, if I got everything that easily I'd lose interest quickly. Maybe I'm just out of touch, too.

I 100% agree. Modern games are just far to easy and it really shows how downhill they have been in my opinion.

I 100% agree. Modern games are just far to easy and it really shows how downhill they have been in my opinion.

This a good example why I say Shenmue must stay Shenmue. Turning Shenmue into a modern game would not work. The Appeal of Shenmue is that you live in the world. That you have to grow with the character. That you have to learn like he does.

This a good example why I say Shenmue must stay Shenmue. Turning Shenmue into a modern game would not work. The Appeal of Shenmue is that you live in the world. That you have to grow with the character. That you have to learn like he does.

Totally. There is also so much hand holding in games now where you get points in every direction telling you where to go and you are never left to work out stuff for your self. It ruins immersion in my opinion and makes games boring now. Hopefully this is all stays with Shenmue and we have to work stuff out for ourselves by speaking to NPC's on the game

This still doesn’t detract from the fact that the series has regressed in this regard and from what we’ve heard, a lot of the NPCs currently lack the animation loops that were seen in S2.
Yet when I look at actual game footage, those criticisms don't ring true at all. The first 30 seconds:

People can have their opinion on the recent coverage, but my problem with getting carried away with the negativity is this: 15 minutes of gameplay is nothing. It was a terrible decision to show the game off this way. It's not long enough for anyone to accurately judge the combat, or any of the other interlocking systems. In fact, the first fight was designed for the player to get destroyed. Who thought that was a good idea for the demo?

As for the visuals, the game doesn't come out for another 5 months, and it was delayed for the express purpose of polishing it up.

That is true. DS proved again that they are not good at Marketing. First they announced the delay to polish the game, then they showed unifished buisness. I do not get the Point either. They should have waited for the Gamescom or mabye even the TGS before showing the game off. Then they improvments might Show some effects already.

RDR2 is terribly overrated and bored me more than Shenmue 1 or 2 ever did, even upon replaying the ports. The NPCs are generic, the animation very wooden at times, and the plot as generic as it gets. I think it's time for the games media to reevaluate what they're looking for in a game... Won't even touch on RDR2's completely awful combat...

I personally think it's one of, if not the best game that's ever been made. Each to their own.

It has its flaws, absolutely. But the level of detail is sublime, and no other game comes close. It reminds me of Shenmue back in 1999.

Would Mega Man X be a great game back in 1992?
Well it wasn't released until 1993, so getting that game a year early would have been amazing to younger me! And yes, whenever X would have been released, it'd be amazing. I just completed another two playthroughs of MMX this last week, and its as good today as it was back in the day, just like Shenmue 1 and 2!

As for the overall comments from that hands on. I know some of those issues will turn people away from the game but I'm still super happy that the game seems to just be aiming to be a real sequel to Shenmue 2. As a fan dreaming of a sequel all these years that's all I ever asked.

Waiting for a preview titled "The Last of Us 2 would be terrible if it released 15 years ago".

Back