[GUIDE] Replacing textures using d3t's SDTextureOverride

LemonHaze

Banned
PhilYeahz and myself recently worked on writing some tools to aid with texture replacements using d3t's own SDTextureOverride.json format. The process is pretty simple.
  1. Extract both the attached archives to a folder

2. Create a new folder within the folder you extracted the archives to and place the textures you want to replace in the following format:

tex_XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX_replacement.dds where X's is the 16-character hexadecimal texture ID you'd like to replace (can be retrieved from extracting the textures using ShenmueModTools or wudecon).
  3. Run flipper as follows:-

.\flipper -b <texture replacement directory> <1 for Shenmue I, 2 for Shenmue II> <- generate multiple texture override mappings
    .\flipper <texture ID> <1 for Shenmue I, 2 for Shenmue II> <- generate a single texture override mapping

4. Create a new directory named tex, with another folder inside named assets, and finally another folder inside assets, named textureoverride.

5. Copy mappings.json and all of your textures into tex/assets/textureoverride and rename mappings.json to SDTextureOverride.json.

6. Open ShenmueArchiver.exe, select TAD at the top of the window and Pack at the bottom of the window.

7. Click the 'Select Folder' button and select the tex/assets folder. (NOT the textureoverride folder, you have to select the directory assets (which includes textureoverride).

8. Save the file with a name of your choosing and place the resulting TAD & TAC files into sm1\archives\dx11\data (for Shenmue I) or sm2\archives\dx11\data (for Shenmue II).

9. Profit!
These texture override mods do not require Forklift to work. It is important to note that every TAD/TAC that uses this system, will overwrite any other SDTextureOverride.json that is in the archives. This is why flipper will add d3t's latest version of SDTextureOverride.json to the custom mappings you create with it, so that all of d3t's changes are still present. In the event you would like multiple mods, the most recent texture override mod will require the mappings of all of the other mods that utilise it. To facilitate this, you can simply replace the SDTextureOverride_Current_SM1.json or SDTextureOverride_Current_SM2.json. Flipper uses these files to add your custom texture mappings to (as of now, these files are just the untouched d3t originals from each game).

Happy modding!

EDIT: Added source code (note; requires nholmann's json)

Attachments

• ShenmueArchiver.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 69
  • flipper_v112_rel.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 57
Last edited:
FYI This method is probably the safest method to replacing textures. As discussed previously in another thread, there are lots of issues with SpecialK and it is NOT advised to make your mods with SpecialK.

Can this be used to install mods downloaded from Nexus or just create them?

This is used to create mods.

Here is the HD environment mod and HD jacket mod made by Drogean over on Nexus, converted to a TAD/TAC file mod:

Just extract the 2 files inside into sm2\archives\dx11\data. No Forklift required, no mipmaps, no black or silver textures.

Thanks for this! I can't get SpecialK to work, the games won't start, but this worked great. Are you planning to convert more mods, some of the S1 mods for example, to this format?

Where can I find the hexadecimal texture ID? My textures only says tex_0.png/dds, text_1.png/dds

I'm trying to change the cans textures but it doesn't work: \disk_5be2c578.tac\SCENE\01\STREAM\FATG.PKS\FAGS5SHG.CHRM\FAGS5SHG.obj_

You need to do a full extraction, for example using wudecon and the argument --tacfullv. This will extract the textures with their unique texture IDs as their filenames.

Thanks! It works. I really appreciate it.

But the problem is: I need to rename the png to dds, and after that rotate 180º and flip horizontally if I want the texture to display correctly.

Inside the TAC files the images are created as 1.unknown, 2.unknown, etc.

Thanks! It works. I really appreciate it.

But the problem is: I need to rename the png to dds, and after that rotate 180º and flip horizontally if I want the texture to display correctly.

Inside the TAC files the images are created as 1.unknown, 2.unknown, etc.

View attachment 3406

Files with .unknown etc don't have proper hashes. You should be extracting textures inside PKF/PKS/AFS/MT5/MT7 etc.

Well this is certianly an easier method when it comes to hidden items in the game until you win them to see the hash number. Just a little confused on the whole "mutliple mods" thing. can't it be done simialer to the ds4 and dreamcast_textures thats on nexus? basically I've got these .tad and .tac files in a mod folder in the sm1\archieves directory

Well, the dreamcast_textures mod literally just cleans out the SDTextureOverride.json file that d3t provide, removing the mappings. You can do something similar by just removing the d3t mappings from the SDTextureOverride.json file that is generated from flipper. :)

Hi! I found those 4 special gashapon inside the "disk_5be2c578.tac\MODEL\ITEM" directory. Those are 4 Gashapon that appeared on the original Dreamcast game, but are changed with mini-consoles in those d3t ports.

It seems those new gashapon are inside the common_5be2c578.tac files but in another format, I think are inside the "tex\assets\modeloverride" but they had different format, png that I cannot read, and a .fbx for 3D models: As far as I know, the files inside "modeloverride" and "texturesoverride" overwrites all the textures created in the "disk_5be2c578.tac"

I uploaded the files, so I hope someone can help to recover those Gashapon:

Tehy're: (Dreamcasko, Gear-O, Megadra Brother and Sataro.

I tried changing some coupe car with Dreamcasko.

Hi! I found those 4 special gashapon inside the "disk_5be2c578.tac\MODEL\ITEM" directory. Those are 4 Gashapon that appeared on the original Dreamcast game, but are changed with mini-consoles in those d3t ports.

It seems those new gashapon are inside the common_5be2c578.tac files but in another format, I think are inside the "tex\assets\modeloverride" but they had different format, png that I cannot read, and a .fbx for 3D models: As far as I know, the files inside "modeloverride" and "texturesoverride" overwrites all the textures created in the "disk_5be2c578.tac"

I uploaded the files, so I hope someone can help to recover those Gashapon:

Tehy're: (Dreamcasko, Gear-O, Megadra Brother and Sataro.

View attachment 3721

I tried changing some coupe car with Dreamcasko.

View attachment 3722
View attachment 3723

Yeah, right now the FBXD3T format has yet to be reversed, this sorta also includes the textures they use. They're almost nothing to do with FBX and is clearly a new format, just with the FBX extension :/

If anyone is interested in this, the furthest we have gotten is here:

I will update this thread & flipper if/when we get this stuff reversed :)

I am new here and I cant understand how to retrieve hexadecimal texture ID using ShenmueModTools or wudecon. Why modding community is so unfriendly. Can you please give clear explanation or at least link to some guide ? My goal is to convert few mods on nexus that are not included in "Streamer2k Textures v4.1" mod. Those mods are "HD Notebook", "HD Skybox for Shenmue 1" and "Ine-San HD". Or maybe I can simply ask you to convert them ? Maybe for you it is just 5 minutes, but for me it is hours and days of grinding unfriendly guides.

Last edited:
I am new here and I cant understand how to retrieve hexadecimal texture ID using ShenmueModTools or wudecon. Why modding community is so unfriendly. Can you please give clear explanation or at least link to some guide ? My goal is to convert few mods on nexus that are not included in "Streamer2k Textures v4.1" mod. Those mods are "HD Notebook", "HD Skybox for Shenmue 1" and "Ine-San HD". Or maybe I can simply ask you to convert them ? Maybe for you it is just 5 minutes, but for me it is hours and days of grinding unfriendly guides.

Unfriendly? I am always available through the reversing discord we have just for Shenmue and I can assure you that there is no unfriendliness going on.
Maybe for you it is just 5 minutes, but for me it is hours and days of grinding unfriendly guides.
Sometimes things are complicated, which is why the guides can seem that way too, but I'm here to help.

Myself and Streamer2K worked on converting his mods into native mods a while ago, but if there are still some which need converting, let me know.

This is used to create mods.

Here is the HD environment mod and HD jacket mod made by Drogean over on Nexus, converted to a TAD/TAC file mod:

Just extract the 2 files inside into sm2\archives\dx11\data. No Forklift required, no mipmaps, no black or silver textures.
Hey LemonHaze, could you please reupload this file? I still use SpecialK for the mods and I would like to get finally rid of it.

Unfriendly? I am always available through the reversing discord we have just for Shenmue and I can assure you that there is no unfriendliness going on.

Sometimes things are complicated, which is why the guides can seem that way too, but I'm here to help.

Myself and Streamer2K worked on converting his mods into native mods a while ago, but if there are still some which need converting, let me know.
Thanks Lemonhaze for all your work on this! I’ve had nothing but problems with Special K. Horrible experience. However your process is so much better.

Curious, it sounds like a lot of mods were converted. Do you know if those are available to download. I didn’t see any at Nexus - only found the Shenmue HD better textures 4.1 that use this process. But I’m looking to cleanup / modernize Shenmue 2 now mainly without special k.

Thanks Lemonhaze for all your work on this! I’ve had nothing but problems with Special K. Horrible experience. However your process is so much better.

Curious, it sounds like a lot of mods were converted. Do you know if those are available to download. I didn’t see any at Nexus - only found the Shenmue HD better textures 4.1 that use this process. But I’m looking to cleanup / modernize Shenmue 2 now mainly without special k.
If anyone does know of any mods for Shenmue 2 that have been converted and where to download other than Nexus (since they still have the not so special K versions).

Back