General Shenmue & Shenmue II talk

My copy arrived today, but I'll probably see if I can hold out until doing a run in December as I prefer to do when replaying Shenmue (its almost a tradition at this point). Bugs are unfortunate, and part of me wanting to hold out is just so that the worst of them can get patched. At least they've acknowledged the fact, makes me hopeful we see something soon to at least sort out the audio and cutscene stuff. In the mean time, its great to see Shenmue back :)

5 hours until I can finally starting playing. The whole day has been torture.

To kill time I've been playing Bluepint's SOTC remake and how I wish these two titles could have been given a similar treatment. None the less watching a few videos here and there have me excited like you can't believe. I haven't played both games in probably more than a decade so having them on a modern console is a blessing.

With that said I echo @Esppiral comments that its disappointing there's these issues. Yes we can hope a day 1 patch fixes this but at the end of the day they only have one chance to make a good impression especially with first time players that haven't experiened the games to date.

Looking forward to starting the saga in a handful of hours.

I have too much enthusiasm for the posts in this thread to bug me!

I hope the patch is released and fixes most things.

Last edited:

I have to much enthusiasm for the posts in this thread to bug me!

I hope the patch is released and fixes most things.
I trust that bug pun was intentional :p

Aaaaand Shenmue II still shines with the right kind of glitches aswell!
Bonus points for Ren Dan's goof up.

Reactions: AXM
So I booted up the first game, and in the Memories of Iwao cutscenes, the VO is extremely muffled along with this tremendous echo. I don't remember it sounding like that at all. I can barely make out the words, and the echo just makes it worse. It's the same with both English/Japanese VO. Has anyone else encountered that bug?

So I booted up the first game, and in the Memories of Iwao cutscenes, the VO is extremely muffled along with this tremendous echo. I don't remember it sounding like that at all. I can barely make out the words, and the echo just makes it worse. It's the same with both English/Japanese VO. Has anyone else encountered that bug?
The Iwao flashbacks always had more echo than the rest of the game from what i remember so maybe it's normal? Haven't yet played the remasters to confirm that they aren't bugged though.

The Iwao flashbacks always had more echo than the rest of the game from what i remember so maybe it's normal? Haven't yet played the remasters to confirm that they aren't bugged though.

I remember the echo being like this, with the VO still being clear and distinctive. The best way I can describe what I'm encountering in the re-releases is that the VO is muffled and distorted, to the degree that it's unpleasant to listen to. Hopefully this is something they're aware of.

Some of those bugs are so "in your face" that I can't belive they have tested the game, sorry guys, but I've spent 110€ in this re-release and I find hard to believe what I am seeing.

Pitch black cutscenes in front of your face and people acting like it is a minor bug or "hey in a couple of weeks it will be fixed" or nowadays every game has a day one patch" as if this could justify the state of the game.

I've bought a physical disc and it turns out that what is inside is an alpha.
This is all speculation but I think it's a possibility that they really wanted to target an August release to get ahead of all of the big titles coming out over the next few months. Spiderman, Red Dead Redemption, etc and this was a good time to release. They may have decided it was "good enough" to warrant pulling the trigger early, and maybe Japan's November date is when they planned to be ready all along. (Although I still think they have some more work to do for that version.)

No, it's not ideal and I still wish they had done a few things differently like the cutscenes.

Sadly, it also sounds like they may have put a small amount of effort into creating an obstacle to modding the PC version. The guy over on ResetEra who reviewed the PC version says they're using a non-standard container format to store the game data. Given the PC version isn't active on Steam yet I haven't confirmed this but that's a shame. I'll take a look at it this week and try to figure out what they did. I did message the guy who wrote mod loaders for several Sonic games (Mania, Adventure, etc.) because I was interested in forking one of his and he pointed me towards Reloaded instead which he thought might be a better solution due to being designed to work with multiple games out of the box. Just mentioning this now in case others start looking at things too, since I'm not going to start a separate thread about it until I actually accomplish something.

With that said I echo @Esppiral comments that its disappointing there's these issues. Yes we can hope a day 1 patch fixes this
--but at the end of the day they only have one chance to make a good impression

--especially with first time players that haven't experienced the games to date.

Looking forward to starting the saga in a handful of hours.

The bolded parts above are exactly how I feel. I worry about newcomers to the series and how they perceive it. But if we can believe what certain users here are saying and there is (in fact) new players commenting on other boards and saying they love the game -legit- that's great.

Not only commenting, but I've skimmed through various Twitch streams as well as YouTube streams.

I do understand the complaints. I am not being ignorant to them at all. Nor are we dishing out bans or warnings (one warning has been issued to a drive by who thinks that's gonna fly here when it isn't, and another issued yesterday to a former staffer who might have had a serious knee-jerk and that will be looked at over the course of the coming days) to people who are being negative, and feel extremely passionate about the mistakes they feel Sega have been made at launch.

But all of the streams I have viewed with my own eyes and ears have been really enjoying the games. Almost all of them have spoken about the bugs and issues, but, the difference is that they are not throwing down their controllers and shouting out about how they have had enough. That they are done with crap like this. That they won't play anyone. Some play on anyways and let sleeping dogs lie, and some even laugh at them finding the funny side. One even soft locked the game and got excited because he was the first to do it. He just reset the game and carried on.

You don't have to take my word for it. I never try and do that. I don't want to seem like my word is gospel. Go do a few searches and watch for yourself. Go to other forums and read for yourself. The balance between positive and negative is very much in the positive, and if people don't feel the great Shenmue times we are in right now, perhaps reading these comments and seeing these players having a good time might change your mind.

Sadly, it also sounds like they may have put a small amount of effort into creating an obstacle to modding the PC version. The guy over on ResetEra who reviewed the PC version says they're using a non-standard container format to store the game data.

Is it possible that it's simply due to the age of the game and the uniqueness of its engine? Considering this isn't a particularly high-budget port, would it be likely that they'd invest in making modding difficult on purpose?

@Peter
Ya I'm also going around other forums and see a lot of positive reactions. Some negative, but mostly a curious positivity.

However one guy was like, "I've been playing Shenmue 1 and it's slow. I heard Shenmue 2 is much better, should I just skip 1 and go strait to 2?" Oh man.. I think some people are missing the point of the series as strictly a story progression based game and not a run around laugh about game like Yakuza.

Also I am all snacked up and ready to go!

39742461_1809446149123570_1007927510387654656_n.jpg

Is it possible that it's simply due to the age of the game and the uniqueness of its engine? Considering this isn't a particularly high-budget port, would it be likely that they'd invest in making modding difficult on purpose?
I can't really speculate yet without taking a look. There are other Dreamcast ports which basically just dumped the original files into a subdirectory. It's honestly what I was expecting them to do here. I guess I should have phrased that better. Yes, there could be some other purpose to throwing files into a container format and making things harder to modify is just a side-effect. I wouldn't say any of it is engine specific though, the original games both on Dreamcast and Xbox read normal files. Figuring out what they did is something I want to look into. If the files end up being encrypted, then it's more likely to have been done on purpose. If they're just containers, maybe it's just an ease-of-access thing or they wanted to prevent accidents like anti-virus false positives or people suddenly losing a few files by accident somehow.

No matter how many times I play these games I always have a new question to ask. Something to test. It only dawned on me today that I've never tried to walk into MJQ (during the search for sailors) without any money, making Ryo's end of the deal (buying a bourbon for 1k if he misses the pool shot) impossible.

The outcome wasn't special but it's little things like this that make the game special for me. There's ALWAYS a question to ask yourself, no matter how many times you've played these games.

8 more minutes!!!!!!

Edit: 2 more minutes!

Edit: ITS HERE JBDIUAGDIUWGFDOIAHFIHF

Last edited:
Back