General Shenmue & Shenmue II talk

@pilman

So true. If Shenmue were to come out for the first time in 2018 in modern standards vs. 2001 it would have been a massive hit.
Gamers these days are much more open to games like Shenmue and the industry is there to support games that don't need to make millions to be called successful.
So I have high hopes for the series going forward. I think and hope we will see an influx of fans.

Peter we always been the minority bro, the cultists, the nerds, the weird ones. Remember back in the day how people made fun of Shenmue and the Xbox days when Halo fanboys would make fun of us? I remember the 6.8 score gamespot gave the game and i remember the awful score the official xbox magazine gave, and guess what, I ignored it all because the only thing that mattered was I knew this game wasn't going to appeal to everyone. The game sold its self to me with the details, the colorful images, being in a far away country exploring. A paragraph will never destroy a well written book.

I think today we have so many more open minded people seeing indy games and walking sims scoring well so i feel confident.

Some people like Mcdonalds, others like a complex delicious juicy steak made with love.

The weird ones in the US*

In Europe, Shenmue has always had good popularity considering it's a confidential DC game.

As a matter of fact, Shenmue remaster is dominating the Amazon top charts in France since several days now (again):
2018-08-20_075858.jpg
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/bestsellers/videogames/ref=sv_vg_0/ref=sv_vg_0

@Master Kyodai No offense dude, but you say you're too old to be playing games on a forum, yet you came in here throwing an emotional temper tantrum and making disingenuous accusations. When someone called you out on it, you became more hysterical. Calm yourself man.

tenor.gif

bigbaby.gif

Sorry, i couldn't resist lol

This isn't a "post nice reviews to be a member". Im enjoying the remasters, but i don't like that it has all these bugs/glitches, as does many other members (Fortunately, i haven't experienced most of them).

Here's an idea though, rather than throwing a hissy fit and then playing the victim when people tell you to calm down/be constructive, why don't we note down all the bugs we find, compile them into a thread and then send them to SEGA and d3t to sort out?

Personally, i don't think the day 1 patch is gonna fix everything. That's just being unrealistic. But hopefully over the course of the next couple of weeks, all the bugs will get ironed out.

In an ideal world, none of this would be a problem and we'd have a 100% perfect game. Unfortunately, we're not in that situation, so we have to do what we can to help the developers address these problems here and now. If they turn a blind eye and ignore the problem, then fair play to whatever you have to say to them.

Honestly though, even if all the kinks get ironed out, im pretty sure, there's gonna be a select few people who want to shite on the game regardless. My advice to you is to go and play the dreamcast version and forget about the rerelease. It's Incredible that new fans are loving the game, yet some old fans wanna shite on it. I mean you couldn't write this stuff.

To all of you who have yet to receive the game. When you do, enjoy it. You've been waiting for this rerelease for 15 years and its a great experience. I've had a blast. Let's all work together to constructively help the developers fix the remaining issues.

Anymore hysteria, i'm making a big baby thread where you'll be free to whine, be outraged and throw hissy fits as much as your heart desires.

:p

I'm not even complaining about the bugs, I am just angry at myself that i fell for it again, buying the same game (for Shenmue 2) for the third time and still getting the same old stuff over and over.

Yeah I've been an idiot for buying an XBox just for Shenmue 2 even though I already had it on the DC. I mean for Shenmue 2X i tried to calm myself down like "OK it has the photo function which is neat and this cool Black&White/Sepia filter and HEY - they did improve the water and added some nice effects". After all it looked "a bit" better than the DC version.

I know - not a "Remastered" edition, but was I really the only one to hope that there would be at least some subtle improvements or filters and smoothing to make it look better? Hey - HD consoles and PC - was that hope so unrealistic?

After all I would only recommend it if you don't already have the Dreamcast versions. Maybe I'm just not fanboy enough any more. Enough to buy the re-release - but not enough to just shut up about my disappointment.

I do like the new menus and saving system, but I am still a bit disappointed. One thing i found notably positive is how great the PS4 controllers are compared to the Dreamcast controllers and how they implemented the new controls.

Sadly Sega have just never been great at remastering their games. Perhaps 'never been great' isn't the right phrase, what I mean is they have a different philosophy, budget and situation. Some of the remasters from other developers have really spoiled us.

Silly question. When practicing in the parking lot are you seeing progress in your moves mastery? Ps4 version

Silly question. When practicing in the parking lot are you seeing progress in your moves mastery? Ps4 version

someone else here noticed that too, so its a possible bug.
i trained at the parking lot for like 5 real minutes and there was a pop up message for a mastered move
but i didnt check the progress in the list.

someone else here noticed that too, so its a possible bug.
i trained at the parking lot for like 5 real minutes and there was a pop up message for a mastered move
but i didnt check the progress in the list.
Yeah those seem to be fine as I unlocked the usual moves that are there. Just seems levelling the moves isn't working atm

Got my copy today, praise 365 Games!

Can I just say how bloody marvelous it is that they were able to cram both games on a single disc with English and Japanese voices which you can effortlessly toggle between? Never dawned on me until I started playing the thing this morning.

I'm having an absolute blast! Sure there are some minor audio hiccups but such issues plague other HD ports I've played and are to be expected (Prince of Persia HD Trilogy, Splinter Cell HD Trilogy, Zelda GameCube Collection, Silent Hill HD Collection). I'd happily trade a missing footstep noise here and there for all the bells and whistles this bundle provides and the opportunity to introduce the franchise to a whole new generation, its nothing detrimental to the experience.

Right now I'm on the Three Blades bit and drinking gallons of some amazingly good Twinings spicy tea, because I'm British and over here we like to drown in tea.

How far are you into the game? One way to tell if the XB1 version is on a newer patch than the PS4 one would be to listen to the music in the cutscene where Guizhang and Master Chen are first introduced, and see if you can hear anything wrong with the music, because it's clearly messed up on PS4's 1.01 version
Not there yet bro. Been taking my time on this play through, really wanting to soak it all in. So I'm still strolling about dobuita currently, looking for Charlie : )

Yeah those seem to be fine as I unlocked the usual moves that are there. Just seems levelling the moves isn't working atm

A little update on this. I've found that they do go up but it's delayed.

Practice as normal and then check the moves later on in the day and boom they increase

So are we still expecting this patch to go live at some point today, as stated by Adam?

Even with a few hiccups (hopefully to be fixed soon) it still sounds a million times better than the Silent Hill HD Collection lol. So I'm thankful.

Even with a few hiccups (hopefully to be fixed soon) it still sounds a million times better than the Silent Hill HD Collection lol. So I'm thankful.
That re release was an abomination! This is nothing close to that

Reactions: Laz

It was me! They are levelling, don't worry. I think there's a bug and it doesn't always appear that the bar is moving but it will eventually just jump up loads. It's like the moves are actually levelling up but the bar on the screen forgets to refresh/update for a while. Try checking again after Ryo has gone to sleep.

It was me! They are levelling, don't worry. I think there's a bug and it doesn't always appear that the bar is moving but it will eventually just jump up loads. It's like the moves are actually levelling up but the bar on the screen forgets to refresh/update for a while. Try checking again after Ryo has gone to sleep.
Have you noticed that they absolutely fly up as well. It's like they've made it easier to train. It's taken half the time to get crawl cyclone up to the second animation of it for example.

Anyone noticed on the PS4 version with excite QTE when the command for up is shown it doesn't register it and if you press it you lose a life?

Yeah, I have Crawl Cyclone, Double Blow and a few other moves levelled up. It does seem to be easier, which I welcome to be honest

The Excite bug is known. Hopefully it's fixed in the patch.

Anyone noticed on the PS4 version with excite QTE when the command for up is shown it doesn't register it and if you press it you lose a life?

i think i had to press up only at the arcade so far and yes, i pressed it but it was registered as a mistake everytime.

Back