General RGG Discussion

Oh yeah, i forgot something.
Sadly the PS5 review copies did not come with any resolution / performance, 30 / 60 fps mode.
It was the same as in the trial version. And the PS5 review copy still had some frame rate drops.
Thats unfortunate.

Infinite Wealth metacritic score 91/100 based on 31 official reviews (PS5)
opencritic 90/100 based on 56 official reviews.
It has a lot of 5/5, 9/10 and 10/10 reviews.
That looks extremely good.

It's kind of astounding. The Yakuza series would perpetually get 7s and 8s, even Yakuza 0, but this is the first time even the big trades are giving 9s and 10s. Very encouraging but watch it'll be the least favorite amongst the fans :p

It's kind of astounding. The Yakuza series would perpetually get 7s and 8s, even Yakuza 0, but this is the first time even the big trades are giving 9s and 10s. Very encouraging but watch it'll be the least favorite amongst the fans :p

Its possible but it will take some time to get a bigger picture because the game is supposed to be 80-100 hours
for a normal story playthrough.

Whats also cool is that the game actually has a interesting dub
because if you play with japanese voices, some of the american characters are speaking
english but with a heavy japanese accent. So its japanese people speaking english with a japanese accent.
But if you play it with english voices, these character simply speak english.

So the japanese voice version doesnt use any of the english voices of the english dub,
instead they made their own english version within the japanese dub. Thats pretty unique.

My Infinite Wealth PS5 disc version arrived today
and to my surprise, theres actually a code in the box for the two pre order jobs and starter pack.
(+ a poster)

Same here.

Getting all of the prep-work out of the way today; installation, patches, firmware updates, gamepad charging.

It starts tomorrow..

Only a few hours into Infinite Wealth. I can already tell that it deserves all the acclaim. This is one AMAZING game.

Big fan of the Yakuza series; I've played all the ones released on Steam thus far... except for the turn-based ones. I really do not enjoy that style of gameplay, and never have.

My question is, how accessible are the turn-based games for someone who ordinarily avoids games with that style of gameplay like the plague? I really want to play these entries, but that is my only hurdle.

Big fan of the Yakuza series; I've played all the ones released on Steam thus far... except for the turn-based ones. I really do not enjoy that style of gameplay, and never have.

My question is, how accessible are the turn-based games for someone who ordinarily avoids games with that style of gameplay like the plague? I really want to play these entries, but that is my only hurdle.
It's a little bit more dynamic than most turn-based RPGs. You can position your character before doing an action and it has bits where you need to tap certain buttons to boost your attack or time your button presses to defend yourself more effectively. It's very easy to get into, maybe you'll even learn to love turn-based games! :LOL:

hhmmmm i mean, it wouldnt call it complicated or extremely deep. It not some realistic physical simulation.
You basically just pick a normal attack or a skill and then you pick your target.
If the enemy is starting some big fancy animation, you choose defend.
If its a group of enemies, you look through your skill list and pick a skill that does group damage.
If its a single strong enemy, your group can make him weaker with debuffs and your group stronger with buffs.

It even has a optional auto battle mode where the game does everything for you.
And you only start with a very limited amount of attacks, skills, group members and so on.
So its not overwhelming at the beginning because you cant do much until way later.
And all of this stuff is introduced step by step.

But still, its two full games with that combat style, so probably like 100, 150, 200 hours
of turn based combat. If you really hate that kind of combat gameplay,
it could be very tiring 100-200 hours.

The game is definitely not 100% optimized. Even in Yokohama you can get fps drops on PS5
for example right at the intersection between the convenience store and the homeless place.
It starts stuttering in front of the intersection like theres some kind of bottleneck.

And judging by videos and streams, driving around with the segway in Hawaii makes the frame rate really unstable.

Last edited:
Yeah i arrived in Hawaii in my PS5 version and the game struggles to keep stable 60 fps
in a lot of streets and intersections.

It's a little bit more dynamic than most turn-based RPGs. You can position your character before doing an action and it has bits where you need to tap certain buttons to boost your attack or time your button presses to defend yourself more effectively. It's very easy to get into, maybe you'll even learn to love turn-based games! :LOL:
Hmm... the way you've explained how it works certainly sounds more inviting and appealing than I originally thought. The QTEs you mentioned might just be the hook that I need. Thanks!

hhmmmm i mean, it wouldnt call it complicated or extremely deep. It not some realistic physical simulation.
You basically just pick a normal attack or a skill and then you pick your target.
If the enemy is starting some big fancy animation, you choose defend.
If its a group of enemies, you look through your skill list and pick a skill that does group damage.
If its a single strong enemy, your group can make him weaker with debuffs and your group stronger with buffs.

It even has a optional auto battle mode where the game does everything for you.
And you only start with a very limited amount of attacks, skills, group members and so on.
So its not overwhelming at the beginning because you cant do much until way later.
And all of this stuff is introduced step by step.

But still, its two full games with that combat style, so probably like 100, 150, 200 hours
of turn based combat. If you really hate that kind of combat gameplay,
it could be very tiring 100-200 hours.
Sounds much simpler than I started off thinking. I am, of course, biased due to my years-long dislike of the genre, but I would love to be proven wrong and end up adoring the turn-based Yakuza games. I just need to go into it not thinking "I dislike this genre," but "Forget everything I dislike about the genre and try it out." Thanks!

Actually just finished Gaiden last night. Pretty good ending. What are folks' opinion on the final boss? A worthy antagonist?

F'n right he is. Was heartbroken when he turned out to be, but such a G, liked him from the first moment he's introduced.
Hmm... the way you've explained how it works certainly sounds more inviting and appealing than I originally thought. The QTEs you mentioned might just be the hook that I need. Thanks!

Sounds much simpler than I started off thinking. I am, of course, biased due to my years-long dislike of the genre, but I would love to be proven wrong and end up adoring the turn-based Yakuza games. I just need to go into it not thinking "I dislike this genre," but "Forget everything I dislike about the genre and try it out." Thanks!
Trust me, it's not bad at all and fights are even faster this time around, than in 7.

Having an absolute blast: 5 hours, 41 in and I just got sujidex again.

If these first 6 hours maintain, we have the best in the series, yet again 😁

If you are afraid that the random street encounters are going to get boring,
just use the button for auto battle and let the game do it.

Thats what i did in 7 / Like a Dragon 1. I did all the fights manually for like 20-25 hours
until it felt like i got whats it all about and what to do in boss battles
and then i only did the big story fights manually and used auto battle in all the random street encounters.
Get a snack and a drink and put aside your controller for 30 seconds.
That worked fine. The game doesnt punish you for that.

Infinite Wealth has this mode too but overall i would say the combat in IW is a little more dynamic and smoother.
I'm not really a turn based combat guy, i like difficult action combat like Nioh,
but the Like a Dragon (Yakuza 7), Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth (Yakuza 8) combat works fine.

Smoother indeed and quicker.

Though I will say that playing in English as opposed to all Japanese, helps too lol

If you are afraid that the random street encounters are going to get boring,
just use the button for auto battle and let the game do it.

Thats what i did in 7 / Like a Dragon 1. I did all the fights manually for like 20-25 hours
until it felt like i got whats it all about and what to do in boss battles
and then i only did the big story fights manually and used auto battle in all the random street encounters.
Get a snack and a drink and put aside your controller for 30 seconds.
That worked fine. The game doesnt punish you for that.

Infinite Wealth has this mode too but overall i would say the combat in IW is a little more dynamic and smoother.
I'm not really a turn based combat guy, i like difficult action combat like Nioh,
but the Like a Dragon (Yakuza 7), Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth (Yakuza 8) combat works fine.
That settles it. As soon as I get bored of Hades, I'm purchasing Like a Dragon. Thanks to everyone for putting my mind at ease!

Ichiban's at level 12 (cusp of 13), Kiryu is at level 9 and I'm actually enjoying Hawaii so far... And I like Kson, but did she really have to be in 8 too? Ugh.

Anyways, plot is phenomenal so far, I never expected
Chitose
to be the person who did that to Ichiban, but yeah, sucks that we have another 'mue II sitch on our hands... that's why I deposited all my money before leaving Japan 😉

Having a blast, hope everyone else is too 😁

Back