General RGG Discussion

While I've come to appreciate short(er) games a lot more, this series is one of the exceptions where I love that there's this massive amount of single player content to go through.

Though in terms of just the main story I think most entries have been between 10-20 hours. It wasn't really until 7 that we went past that. Thus far Infinite Wealth looks and sounds absolutely humongous and I'm there for it.

Not gonna lie though, I'm a bit worried about how it may affect my backlog of games.

I have a huge backlog of games already. Baldurs Gate 3 about 90 hours in,
Cyberpunk 2077 about 60 hours in, Alan Wake 2 NG+ (50 hours), Wo Long NG+++ and DLC 3 (120 hours in),
Shadow of the Tomb Raider (35 hours in), God of Ragnarok + DLC (50 hours in), Final Fantasy 16 DLC,
Witcher 3 Next Gen version (about 70 hours in), Immortals Fenyx Rising (about 50 hours in) ...

And i pretty much like all of these games, its just that my motivation or freshness curve
drops after about 40 hours and then i have to play something else.
Because i dont want to force myself to rush through the game just to finish it.
It feels kind of disrespectful towards the devs if that makes sense.

At the same time i'm the kind of player who wants to see all of the content.
So if theres a map full of side content, icons, quest givers etc i cant ignore that.
But then every game gets longer and longer because of that
and because i only play these kind of games, i'm running into the same problem
again and again and again and again and again and again and again.

And i can already see this happening again in 2024 because theres Like A Dragon in january,
Final Fantasy 7 Remake Part 2 in february and Dragons Dogma 2 and Rise of the Ronin in march (on the same day)

I'm never going to get out of this loop.

I have a few habits/rules of my own when it comes to playing games & managing my backlog:
- When I start a new game I have to finish its story before touching any other game.
- I usually play games "Main+Extra" as howlongtobeat.com describes it, meaning the story and some of the extra content.
- There are only a select few franchises where I delve deeply into side content and finish the majority, if not all of it. RGG is one of them.
- I rarely go for platinum trophies. Perhaps once or twice a year - if the game has fair criteria to achieve them.
- As a general rule, I'm not allowed to Google stuff during playthroughs (exceptions aside).
- Whenever my backlog is bigger than just a handful of games, I'm not allowed to add anything else to my list. This sometimes means skipping releases that caught my interest.
- When I'm not currently in the middle of a story-driven game, I can play multiple arcade/retro games at the same time.

Between work, social life and other commitments hobby time is often limited to just a couple of hours a day - if that - so I have to be selective. My OCD is way too strong to stray from the path lol.

All of that said I still finished 20+ games this year.

RGG Studio Director Masayoshi Yokoyama teases another big announcement coming in 2024."We are very happy to be able to release the new game 'Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth' [...] but I hope to be able to make another big announcement sometime in 2024! Please look forward to RGG Studio in 2024!"

From the Famitsu developer 2023 end of year review / 2024 preview

There are a lot of new press preview articles out for Infinite Wealth
and again i have to warn you, there are story spoilers here and there for stuff that is beyond the demo version content.

But every single one of these articles said that this is clearly the most ambitious Yakuza game ever without a doubt.
I'm excited.

I have a few habits/rules of my own when it comes to playing games & managing my backlog:
- When I start a new game I have to finish its story before touching any other game.
- I usually play games "Main+Extra" as howlongtobeat.com describes it, meaning the story and some of the extra content.
- There are only a select few franchises where I delve deeply into side content and finish the majority, if not all of it. RGG is one of them.
- I rarely go for platinum trophies. Perhaps once or twice a year - if the game has fair criteria to achieve them.
- As a general rule, I'm not allowed to Google stuff during playthroughs (exceptions aside).
- Whenever my backlog is bigger than just a handful of games, I'm not allowed to add anything else to my list. This sometimes means skipping releases that caught my interest.
- When I'm not currently in the middle of a story-driven game, I can play multiple arcade/retro games at the same time.

Between work, social life and other commitments hobby time is often limited to just a couple of hours a day - if that - so I have to be selective. My OCD is way too strong to stray from the path lol.

All of that said I still finished 20+ games this year.
I subscribe to rules 1, 2 and 4 on your list. I don't buy anything new outside of 'mue and RGG, so I'm not bogged down by new games anyways.

Still, I don't like starting a story-driven or comprehensive title (like an RPG, AA, etc.) without finishing it, which is why I will put off something that ISN'T a huge favourite, for even years, unless I have the time.

But RGG is an exception; when the game is in my hands, I drop everything, so I expect to be playing each night until mid-March, if it will be as big and comprehensive as they say it will be (and with the Bengals out of the playoffs, I don't need to devote as much time to football).

On that note, I played a bit more of the demo (won't be playing anymore though; I'm ready) and am fully down pat with the combat, the Sickos substory is hilarious and craZy Delivery is AMAZING, holy crap I'm going to play the shit out of that minigame lol (like I did with can collecting).

Can't wait to start. Yumi forever! ;)

For people who have the Infinite Wealth trial demo on PS5 / Series X,
does the demo come with a resolution / performance mode option?

I saw in some frame rate test videos that there are some situations, where the fps drops below 60 fps
on PS5 and Series X. And i really dislike uneven frame rates / stuttering etc
so maybe a locked 30 fps mode would be better for me. But i cant find any information about it
and it seems like even Gaiden didnt come with these options? So maybe Infinite Wealth wont have any options?
That would be a shame.

I've checked on PS5.

Display Settings are limited to HDR, Brightness and Color Vision.
No performance mode.

Final version might be different of course, but there's no guarantee for it.
Then again, performance may be better in the final version as well - at least after the first round of patches, that is.

I've checked on PS5.

Display Settings are limited to HDR, Brightness and Color Vision.
No performance mode.

Final version might be different of course, but there's no guarantee for it.
Then again, performance may be better in the final version as well - at least after the first round of patches, that is.

Thank you very much! Great to see that this series finally comes with HDR support.
Not so great that it doesnt have the same performance options as 7 / Like A Dragon.
Well lets see if its different in the full release or if the overall performance is improved.
I just dont understand why they would get rid of these options now.
Its still the same engine and still the same old gen / new gen multi platform release.

Sega gave one of the biggest streamers, XQC, sponsored early access to Infinite Wealth (today)
even tho he previously said that Yakuza games are trash and he has no idea who any of the characters are.

While playing the game, he didnt even know that this game is turn based.
So Sega literally paid probably thousands of dollars to someone who has no idea what this series is
and who doesnt even have a Like A Dragon community.

What is Sega doing

uhPain.png

Last edited:
Who?

Yesterday I was watching Spawn Wave (another YouTuber) for some gaming news updates and suddenly he played an Infinite Wealth promo video. He thanked Sega for the opportunity and implied he'll do more promo stuff for them in the future. Now, Spawn Wave is actually a Sega fan and has stated he likes RGG games (to some extent). I have no problem with him getting an opportunity to do some promotion for them.

I do agree that 'influencers' with a history of trashing a company's products shouldn't be rewarded for it, ever.

From Sega's perspective they probably just picked a bunch of people with sizable audiences within the gaming sphere without discrimination, a bother to look into their history or anything like that.

Anyway, game's less than a week away and my hype is building up!

Looks like New Game+ will be hidden behind a paywall. Apparently this was also the case when the previous mainline entry released in Japan. But this will not go over well and it shouldn't. Developers, or rather publishers, keep testing the waters of what people are willing to put up with and this is one example where I fully agree with the outcry that this inevitably causes.

Say what you want about him, but Yong Yea has commented that this hurts community goodwill and replayability and he is absolutely right.

Yeah. to be honest, the more expensive digital versions of Infinite Wealth are a joke in terms of content.
Some outfits, some music, some things for crafting and leveling i guess ... and thats 110 Euros? ...
thats 40-50€ more than the vanilla version.
And the disc version doesnt even get a day one steelbook release.

Last edited:
I don't have a problem shelling out for a season pass that contains some neat extras for a series I enjoy, especially since in this case the base game is expected to be a huge undertaking already, but that doesn't excuse paywalling what has become more or less a basic feature in modern gaming.

Really hope that there is enough pressure to make Sega buckle. Man, some of these companies really suck at reading the room. Is the instant gratification of temporary gains really worth hurting their brand in the long run?

I guess the silver lining is that Sega games typically undergo pricedrops not too long after being released and frequently drop even further when discounts are going on. So those of us patient enough to wait a few months should be able to get a really good deal.

Unfortunately I'm not that patient myself, but even I feel like a got a pretty decent pre-order deal at 55 Euros for the physical edition.

Speaking about physical editions, it's unfortunate that they are slowly becoming less relevant: Even when you do get a physical release, they've become so reliant on additional downloads that owning a physical copy often doesn't come with any added value other than a cool case.

Between needless DRM and online requirements even for offline single player games, preservation is becoming an afterthought. The industry is pushing gamers toward piracy and as far as I'm concerned deservedly so.

"Get comfortable not owning your games" get the fuck out with that bullshit.

Sorry, went on a bit of a tangent there 🙂.

I also hate how they are nowadays intentionally making the disc versions
the version with less bonus content than the digital versions.
Since the next gen consoles are out, i had a lot of cases, where the digital version of a game
would give you pre order bonuses, digital bonuses like costumes or optional stuff
but at the same time the disc version doesnt get any of that.
So if you want all the content, they basically want you to buy the disc and the digital version.

Or games where you will get a digital bundle price so that you get the base game + season pass for lets say 99,99.
But if you want to buy the disc version + manually buying the season pass it will cost you 10€ more
because thats not part of the digital offer.
They basically dont want you to buy the disc version. Thats so annoying.

I have no problem with paying full price for companies that i like.
You can have my 60-70€ and when they offer like a physical special edition for 89-99€, okay fine. I will buy it.
But i will leave the ship as soon as they are trying to reduce the content of the releases
while the price rises at the same time. Because thats just exploiting the community.
If you dont want my support, fine, i'm going to wait a month and then buy a used copy for 30-40€
that doesnt support the company at all.
And we have to keep in mind that we are already paying 69,99€ instead of 59,99 nowadays.
Some games i own even had a price of 74,99-79,99 for the basic vanilla version.
And thats still not enough, even that wont give you all the content thats available.

Infinite Wealth metacritic score 91/100 based on 31 official reviews (PS5)
opencritic 90/100 based on 56 official reviews.
It has a lot of 5/5, 9/10 and 10/10 reviews.
That looks extremely good.

While I do try to stay away from reviews and (online) discourse before having played or watched something, it is encouraging to see some positive buzz for this early on. Especially after the completely unnecessary paywall drama.

As we're just a few days away from release, I'll be making myself scarce again for a while.
To anyone getting this; Hope you'll have fun!

Back