General RGG Discussion

Damn I'm hyped. Kind of roliing my eyes that RGG Studios just can't seem to let go of Kiryu, but gotta say trailer got me pumped.

And playable Seong-Hui?! Joon Gi and Seong Hui about to be in my party all the time.

I noticed Virtua Fighter 3 in that latest trailer for Yakuza 8

Between that and Daytona USA 2 showing up in Gaiden, it pleases the hell out of me that SEGA is finally opting to emulate Model 3 games. (Claps)

As for Yakuza 8...not sure what to make of it but will indeed play it when it comes out. I’m actually a little more excited for Gaiden than I am 8…but that’s probably because I’m still more of a Kiryu guy…even if I am slightly bummed that they just can’t let his story end.

I noticed that no one in the West mentioned this, but in an TGS 2023 interview with Masayoshi Yokoyama by A9VG (a Chinese gaming media), he mentioned that the development cycle of Like A Dragon Gaiden was only half a year.

Yokoyama mentioned that there was no development plan for Gaiden initially, but during the development process of Like A Dragon 8 he realized that more depictions of Kiryu's past experiences were needed, but considering the size of the game, these depictions could not be added to 8. So he described Gaiden as something made of accident rather than a new installment.
20230922232413-8621-14530.png
Is anyone willing to share this news to reddit/yakuzagames or ResetEra? Couldn't create accounts there due to regional restrictions.

Last edited:
Kinda late with my reaction, i watched the showcase yesterday.
That Infinite Wealth trailer was pretty awesome in terms of cutscene quality
and amount of content that seems to be available in the full game.
I dont know if it was really necessary to show that many story snippets
but if the game has to offer even more story depth beyond all of that then its fine.
I'm pretty cool with all that was shown in the showcase.

Only kinda meh thing i noticed, is that you can still tell thats it not a "next gen game"
in the IGN gameplay video. Little things like the ocean / water physics, shadow details
and just in general things that make the picture quality look more realistic
are still missing because the overall quality of the graphics in the game world is still stuck on the level of a PS4 game.
And for people who would love another game like Yakuza 6 where everything is voice acted,
Infinite Wealth isnt going to provide that because even in the IGN gameplay video
you can see that theres going to be a lot of silent text boxes.

I like the slighty updated UI elements. Animations look great.
You can see arrows on the ground now that show you where tag team attacks are going to land,
which means you can easily calculate which direction is gonna hit the most enemies.
If you hit enemies with big attacks, they can fly into other enemies and damage them too.
You can see group dialogue events on the map now instead of randomly finding them.
There seems to be some kind of citizen NPC friend system again.
Kiryu can switch stances and the attacks in the menu are changing accordingly.
If you manually select a waypoint on the map, the segway can auto drive to that marker.

Last edited:
What do you guys think about that whole Kiryu Infinite Wealth ... thing? His story.
I'm going to put it in spoilers but its not a leak or something like that,
it was mentioned and shown in the very long Infinite Wealth story trailer.

... they mentioned that Kiryu has cancer and there are a couple of scenes in there
with him coughing blood, passing out etc. Him saying that retirement isnt an option
and that he has to use the time he has left to be helpful.
What do you think they will do with that whole part?

Will they actually kill Kiryu? Like yeah life can be harsh, he survived all of these events up until Infinite Wealth,
only to be killed by cancer? I mean that would take some balls to write something like that into the story.
Or will they send him off to some overseas treatment expert and we will never see him again?
Will Kiryu be healed at the end of the game? Another Yakuza 6 bait ending?
Is Haruka going to take care of him and thats the last thing we will ever see of these two characters?

Is it gonna be a goodbye for real and he will be gone forever,
will he be a part of Ichibans crew even after Infinite Wealth because he recovers
or is he just going to disappear and RGG Studios is going to decide later if hes coming back or not?
What do you guys think?

Is it just a small story part and they made it bigger for the trailer than it actually is
or is it actually gonna be a big serious part of the story?

Last edited:
Well..

I really hope Kiryu doesn't die. They've teased his death multiple times throughout the series without actually having the intention of following through and there is a narrative argument to be made for having him die here, but I just want a happy ending for him. When you look at his life through what the games have shown and told us, Kiryu's life has been one hardship after the other without him really having extended periods of what could be considered happiness. He was probably most content running the orphanage, so I'd like him to somehow end up in Okinawa again.

I pre-ordered it on Tuesday. I'm going to purchase just the boxart for the Japanese version (somehow) and insert it, so it fits with the rest of the games.
Unless you already have a way of getting your hands on them, it's probably easiest to wait for a high quality box art scan to appear online and just print it on glossy paper.

It's not the "official thing", but close enough depending how fussy you are about that kind of stuff.

Last edited:
We'll see, You: I can always resell the Japanese copy to a random game shop and if I have to eat 15 bucks, it's ok lol.

While I don't like sneakily doing things like that, I've been burned too many times by game shops not doing their due diligence/testing (like my broken Maracas for Samba de Amigo, when I was sold a regular modem instead of the BBA for the DC {that one REALLY boiled my blood} and when I was sold a 32X without any cables, before the internet was widespread enough to know that I needed cables lol) and it's not like the person playing it won't be able to experience it in English or anything.

But yeah, we'll see.

In terms of the Kiryu thing, it all depends on how they handle the Morningglory side of things: I have a feeling they have spoiled so much BECAUSE they will give him the ending he (FINALLY) deserves and nothing has been shown in regards to them, because they will show up or somehow be prominent-enough in this game, at some point.

That's my guess.

A few more weeks to go! It's been since 2021 that I've played a new RGG title and need more!

I have still not decided yet if i'm going to play Like A Dragon Gaiden day 1 or not.
I'm a bit afraid that if i'm going all in on Gaiden to get the most content out of this slightly smaller game,
that i'm already going to feel slightly burned out while switching into Infinite Wealth later.
And thats not good because Infinite Wealth is going to be a much bigger game.

Thats also why i didnt start Like A Dragon Ishin in the summer or later,
because i was afraid that i'm going to sabotage my own interest in Gaiden
and then i wont have any "power" left to play Infinite Wealth in january.
So i dont know how to handle it

Will you guys buy / play Gaiden and Infinite Wealth on day one?
Or will you skip one because you prefer brawler / rpg over the other
or because they are being released too close to each other?
I will only play gaiden because i don't like rpg in yakuza (also because i prefer kiryu), i will wait until there a brawler mod like rgg 7

I will only play gaiden because i don't like rpg in yakuza (also because i prefer kiryu), i will wait until there a brawler mod like rgg 7

I think Kiryu actually has a stance in Infinite Wealth that lets you manually do attacks with him
for a specific amount of time. So instead of choosing stuff from a list and watch,
you move him around and to his oldschool attacks manually.

Will you guys buy / play Gaiden and Infinite Wealth on day one?
Or will you skip one because you prefer brawler / rpg over the other
or because they are being released too close to each other?

I'm gonna play both whenever I can get to it🤣😂. Still playing Yakuza 3.

Oh okay. Are you doing all the side missions and stuff too? And then Yakuza 4, 5, 6, 7, Judgment, Lost Judgment,
Ishin, Gaiden?
Well ... i guess we will hear about your Infinite Wealth playthrough in 7 years from now

View attachment 18940

Facts you guys will be playing Yakuza 12 when I get to Infinite Wealth.

I think Kiryu actually has a stance in Infinite Wealth that lets you manually do attacks with him
for a specific amount of time. So instead of choosing stuff from a list and watch,
you move him around and to his oldschool attacks manually.
yes but its limited so i will wait until someone unlock this and let you play that way only like this mod for exemple

Back