Ge Juhua "aka" Huali Jiang

Favourite title
Shenmue II
Anyone noticed what's up with the girl in Traveler's Good near the Niaowu Promenade?
She's called "Ge Juhua" and looks exactly like "Huali Jiang" from the Center Vegetable Shop in the Green Market Qr.
Clothes, hairstyle, just everything is a match. Except for the name of course.

Sadly Ryo doesn't notice anything about her. Wonder if there is some sidequest with this character that I haven't found yet.

PyWDzjP.jpg

800px-HualiJiang.jpg

Similarly, isn't a fellow who looks very similar to Yang from Great View Herbs, but his name is Hwang or something of the sort?
I also appreciate that Delin's brother is just chillin' at the port.

I'm pretty sure it's just a reference to the older games as majority of the NPCs design are derived from the old games.
Take a look at the thugs you fight, or people at the port, or the announcer in Rose Garden. They all have nearly exact same design as S1&2 NPCs / Characters but with different names.

I just think they’ve based lots of characters off of ones from the old games.

The two thugs in Bailu one looks like the guy from the tattoo parlour in 1 and the other looks like one of the bikers.

Last edited:
They reused a bunch of character designs and I have no freaking idea why they would do that. Why remodel the same character just to have them be a new character? It was most jarring with the thugs in Bailu imo. I was so relieved when Delin look alike was actually Delin's brother. lol

They reused NPC models. Thugs from Bailu stand out the most. I’m sure if you went looking hard enough you would find more examples

I guess it's both a throwback for fans, but also to save budget and time. No need to pay artists for new designs, and waiting for the results to then start implementing them.

Back