Games you pretend never happened?

Splinter Cell: Conviction

'Stealth'? Lol, wtf is that?!

Metal Gear Solid 4 and 5. They were so bad that it legitimately makes it hard for me to enjoy the previous games I used to love so much, and that's something I've never experienced before. And unlike some of you lucky people that at least enjoyed the gameplay, I hated that too lmfao...

i disagree. i really enjoyed mgs4. i liked everything about it. gameplay, story, graphics (it still plays better than most modern games)

mgs4, mgs collection and mg rising are the main reason i will never bin my ps3.

i disagree. i really enjoyed mgs4. i liked everything about it. gameplay, story, graphics (it still plays better than most modern games)

mgs4, mgs collection and mg rising are the main reason i will never bin my ps3.
I did like the gameplay in Rising at least... the story and characters were just cringe to me though. Still, I enjoyed that game ten times more than 4 lol. This sums up part of why I think Kojima is such a hack:
a25jxrvsggty.jpg

Last edited:
Fable III, I really enjoyed the first two as fun and quite innovative open world RPG'S then the third came out where it tried to innovate too much that didn't need it, even the pause menu. It was really short and the lack of side content was the worst considering you could conceivably spend hundreds of hours in the second game farting around and still be having fun with it.

I did like the gameplay in Rising at least... the story and characters were just cringe to me though. Still, I enjoyed that game ten times more than 4 lol
well each to their own.

i replaying mg rising now at the moment. :cool: (ive re-bought "DMC, devil may cry" from ebay and thought mgr would be a good warm up game - sorta similar gameplay)

really sucks konami has given up on mgs because the remake footage of mgs3 looked good.

well each to their own.

i replaying mg rising now at the moment. :cool: (ive re-bought "DMC, devil may cry" from ebay and thought mgr would be a good warm up game - sorta similar gameplay)

really sucks konami has given up on mgs because the remake footage of mgs3 looked good.
Personally I think remaking any of the original games will destroy any of their charm. I mean, look at how hated Twin Snakes is lmfao. I thought that game was a bad fan made joke when I first played it...

But unfortunatley Kojima wrote Konami into a hole and they have nowhere to go with the series. At this point is just spin off and remakes and shit, none of which will do the MGS name justice. Such a shame considering how respected this franchise once was...

Reactions: red
I love Twin Snakes. The complaints about the cutscenes are ridiculously overblown. What did you expect from a director known for those theatrics? One legit complaint is the MGS2 engine makes it too easy, which is true, but gives me reason to play the the bleemcast version while being enough reason to play Hard or Extreme mode, or Normal if I simply wanna see the purty gfx with an ease of gameplay.

TTS is Shenmue HD, in terms of loving the game and looking past the faults I feel are mostly moot or melodramatic.

Hmm...

I generally take well to most series and I can appreciate most things in the series, for their worth, thus there aren't very many that I outright dislike; I play what I like and that's that lol.

Truly, TRULY, Yakuza 2 would probably be the only game that would be like this, for me.

Outside of the story, it is a fantastic game, albeit with a slightly weaker overall soundtrack.

That story is a goddamn eyesore and the future of the series is literally completely and utterly unaffected, by the events, characters or settings, of the game

Anyone who is in introduced to the series, in the game, isn't brought up or mentioned or anything, in future titles (aside from the one substory in 0, the first 30 seconds of 3 or the non-canon Dead Souls). Sotenbori returns in 2 other games. The bullshit ending and/or Jingweon Mafia, are pointless to the overall series' plot (save for the 1 chapter the Jingweon show up in 6) and are never mentioned again.

Ugh. If you want to read my ramblings on this title, just take a look at the Yakuza thread lol

I love Twin Snakes. The complaints about the cutscenes are ridiculously overblown. What did you expect from a director known for those theatrics? One legit complaint is the MGS2 engine makes it too easy, which is true, but gives me reason to play the the bleemcast version while being enough reason to play Hard or Extreme mode, or Normal if I simply wanna see the purty gfx with an ease of gameplay.

TTS is Shenmue HD, in terms of loving the game and looking past the faults I feel are mostly moot or melodramatic.
Twin Snakes was the first time I'd ever been really disappointed by a video game. I was expecting "MGS with better graphics". What I got was "MGS with better graphics but an arguably worse art style, incredibly awkward controls that mimmick PS2 controls but with no pressure sensitivity(meaning you have to press more buttons to do simple things like NOT SHOOT), MGS2 gameplay features that make zero sense with the level design and completely destroy any challenge, terrible and unnecessary new voice acting, horribly redone cutscenes that made the game seem more like a parody than a serious remake, and Vulcan Raven coming out of his tank after he hits you just to flail his arms and laugh like he just found an extra chromosome."

It was a terrible experience, and I can't say the complaints about the cutscenes are overblown. This is supposed to at least be a semi-serious game, and I mean just look at this shit...

1378690445346.giftumblr_inline_mkk6ir0FbU1qz4rgp.giftumblr_mdck3saHqf1qedvo5o1_250.gifqAeQYJ7fu4.gif

It's not even comparable to Shenmue HD. That was just a bad/disappointing port. It's not like they made Lan Di fly and Ryo do backflips while choosing tickets at the Tomato Mart...

Not too sure I understood the Jade Empire bit...

I suppose you haven't played Jade Empire; I shall endeavour to explain better. It's an RPG that looks like this:

sZN05Um.jpg

...and the prologue sort of builds up to your party finally getting a cool flying machine as a vehicle to travel around the world with, and it's exciting, and you climb in the cockpit for the very first time... and BAM! without warning the game turns into this:

o5KcF2T.jpg

This was a full 6 years after Shenmue was released on DC, so I was jaded (hardy har har). I was bitter because the Dreamcast failed, bitter that nobody appreciated Shenmue, bitter that Peter Moore gave away Shenmue 2 to the Xbox, bitter that gamers just accepted artistic and technical regression owing to various capitalistic forces of mediocrity. Here was this Bioware epic that had no excuse to take a cheap way out of a major design decision -- it didn't have Magic Weather like Shenmue, didn't simulate a real-time world like Shenmue. I expected a lot more graphically, especially in comparison to other DC masterpieces like Headhunter. For me, it was like if the Shenmue motorcycle minigame just cut to something like this:

double-brother-thung-on-the-bike.gif

So, all of these kinds of thoughts were churning in the collective consciousness of our (fully justified) Sega fanboy heads, and we just snapped, and I'll never see it any other way.

Golden Sun:Dark Dawn on DS is the one that comes to mind for me. Such an epic disappointment on just about every level. The first two were my favorite games right behind Beyond Good and Evil (whose sequel also looks to be a huge disappointment) and Shenmue (hoping for the best with 3).

I suppose you haven't played Jade Empire; I shall endeavour to explain better. It's an RPG that looks like this:

sZN05Um.jpg

...and the prologue sort of builds up to your party finally getting a cool flying machine as a vehicle to travel around the world with, and it's exciting, and you climb in the cockpit for the very first time... and BAM! without warning the game turns into this:

o5KcF2T.jpg

This was a full 6 years after Shenmue was released on DC, so I was jaded (hardy har har). I was bitter because the Dreamcast failed, bitter that nobody appreciated Shenmue, bitter that Peter Moore gave away Shenmue 2 to the Xbox, bitter that gamers just accepted artistic and technical regression owing to various capitalistic forces of mediocrity. Here was this Bioware epic that had no excuse to take a cheap way out of a major design decision -- it didn't have Magic Weather like Shenmue, didn't simulate a real-time world like Shenmue. I expected a lot more graphically, especially in comparison to other DC masterpieces like Headhunter. For me, it was like if the Shenmue motorcycle minigame just cut to something like this:

double-brother-thung-on-the-bike.gif

So, all of these kinds of thoughts were churning in the collective consciousness of our (fully justified) Sega fanboy heads, and we just snapped, and I'll never see it any other way.
I've played Jade Empire and remember liking it quite a but. Pictures I think were missing from your post so I still don't follow!

Regarding Metal Gear, never knew much of Tomokazu Fukushima, maybe his influence was felt after he left. People blame Konami for MGSV but it was primarily the story that ruined the game and that was all Hideo. Loved his vision when it came to gameplay and his overall vision for the game, but he is ones of those guys who probably need reigning in or he just goes overboard.

Shortened version of my rant: HIdeo ruined the story of both 4+5 (even before Phantom Pain's ending, it was decent, not great) as a rebellion against Konami's cash cow and invasive string-pulling. Both are fun to play, as is his game design integrity, but wanted to end the story in any ridiculous way so he could finally work on anything else besides MG universe.

Fukushima is very underrated in the MGS series. Murata gets more attention.

Shortened version of my rant: HIdeo ruined the story of both 4+5 (even before Phantom Pain's ending, it was decent, not great) as a rebellion against Konami's cash cow and invasive string-pulling. Both are fun to play, as is his game design integrity, but wanted to end the story in any ridiculous way so he could finally work on anything else besides MG universe.

Fukushima is very underrated in the MGS series. Murata gets more attention.
I strongly believe the reason the last two games were so awful was because he was given too much freedom and surrounded by yes men who dared not question his wannabe artsy fartsy starbucks brand bullshit. If Fukushima was around, they probably would have turned out so much better...

I also assume the reason he had such a falling out with Konami was because they saw how much money he was wasting on the most pretentious and stupid prologue in video game history, but who knows lol...

Twin Snakes was the first time I'd ever been really disappointed by a video game. I was expecting "MGS with better graphics". What I got was "MGS with better graphics but an arguably worse art style, incredibly awkward controls that mimmick PS2 controls but with no pressure sensitivity(meaning you have to press more buttons to do simple things like NOT SHOOT), MGS2 gameplay features that make zero sense with the level design and completely destroy any challenge, terrible and unnecessary new voice acting, horribly redone cutscenes that made the game seem more like a parody than a serious remake, and Vulcan Raven coming out of his tank after he hits you just to flail his arms and laugh like he just found an extra chromosome."

It was a terrible experience, and I can't say the complaints about the cutscenes are overblown. This is supposed to at least be a semi-serious game, and I mean just look at this shit...

View attachment 1902View attachment 1903View attachment 1904View attachment 1905

It's not even comparable to Shenmue HD. That was just a bad/disappointing port. It's not like they made Lan Di fly and Ryo do backflips while choosing tickets at the Tomato Mart...

Yikes. The whole Matrix-y action cut scenes in Twin Snakes aged so poorly.

I've played Jade Empire and remember liking it quite a but. Pictures I think were missing from your post so I still don't follow!

Oh, no! I'm being censored! lol Oh, well. Look, don't allow yourself to get sucked into the black hole where my human heart used to be. If you liked Jade Empire quite a bit, go on liking it. I'm sure it was wonderful. My soul is a corrupted savegame.

Splinter Cell: Conviction

'Stealth'? Lol, wtf is that?!

I almost mentioned this one myself. A shame such a misstep lead to the series effectively being shelved.

In a similar manner, I try to pretend Hitman: Absolution and its flashy linearity never happened. I have a little more sympathy for the current gen Hitman games, but I still disapprove and squint skeptically like a dad on prom night.

Back