Favorite Shenmue 1 NPC

Really hard one, Bruce... Today Im going with Guizhan Chen too. Reasons: he's a kicker, a real styled one and watching that scene when he tries to stop Ryo from pursuing revenge and gets replied "imagine your father is murdered, what would you do?", quietly laying his head down, everything he does afterwards to help us and finally revealing "I'll do the same" gets him a layer of intensity that other characters lack.

Angel+1987-81-b.jpg

Not counting NPC's who heavily weigh in on the story this is an easy one:
1698255171558.jpeg
This kid has an answer for nearly every progression moment in the game - Looking for the hairdressers? " My mom cuts my hair" :LOL: He feels a lot less generic and is genuinely funny to encounter.

I' m gonna have to say Ryo. I know, kind of lame to pick the main character.

On the other hand, a lot of people seem to view him as
- boring
- one sided
- lacking emotions
- lacking edge

However as a kid he was my role model. He was good mannered. Like how he always takes time out of his day to help people. Small things, like when he aids the old Lady in finding the Yamamoto(?) Residence. He risks his owm safety in a heartbeat to rescue and protect his friends (for example Mark and Nozomi). He is forgiving (see Goro). Ryo is a martial artist that uses his abilities for good. He is also humble and does not brag, he is willing to work hard jobs and even cares for a kitten with the neighborhood children (how frickin' adorable). His stoicism is to me a sign of his self control. One of the most admirable features. That and his perseverance. Dude gets beaten up in a foreign country with no social backup and just pushes on. Even when he has no clue what to do next.

I even bought Timex watches in my youth and wore brown leather jackets. That is how much he influenced me. In an age of antiheroes and sympathetic villains in movies and games, ironically a decent and upstanding guy is a fresh breath of air.

1698370435449.png
Mari Yamashita! I always got a kick out of her, and the thought of Ryo stopping his quest for revenge to try out for some local commercials or whatever acting gigs with her always amused me.

I mean, they do both like leather jackets and jeans. Could be something there! :whistle:

View attachment 18955
Mari Yamashita! I always got a kick out of her, and the thought of Ryo stopping his quest for revenge to try out for some local commercials or whatever acting gigs with her always amused me.
Ryo kneeled that morning in the altar room, like he always did. Rung the bell. "I will get them, Father. I will avenge you... But first lemme check on that hot clerk awfrrl".
I mean, they do both like leather jackets and jeans. Could be something there! :whistle:
She's unargably elegant, specially for the late 80s. The key for well dressing isnt wearing expensive clothings but knowing to combine properly.

View attachment 18955

She is great

Back