Favourite title
Shenmue
Currently playing
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
PSN
bcdcdude
Steam
bcdcdude

This looks pretty interesting! I've always wanted to play the Suidoken games and it seems that they have a self awareness of what works and what doesn't with Kickstarter. I noticed on what they've learned from previous Kickstarters that they might be referring to Shenmue III on what to do and what not to do...

1595870523638.png

I'll most likely back it, but just a basic physical copy...

I kind of felt they were pointing more immediately to Shenmue III when mentioning stretch goals potentially creating seriously unreasonable expectations. That blurb isn't going to help here, either, though. I'm fairly certain most of the fans are going to blow their expectations out into the stratosphere.

Anyway, I was so upset to see all the figure tiers eaten up, but I backed at the Archivist Knight tier. Honestly, the tiers leave a bit to be desired, with a lot of unnecessary complexity, but I am a huge fan of Murayama's work in the Suikoden series. After he left Konami, things went down hill in a hurry. This has the makings of capturing at least a fair amount of what I love about Gensou Suikoden 1-3 and Gensou Suikogaiden 1&2. So I'm happy to support it. I don't really like the visual style of Octopath Traveler, though. I realize it helps mask the 2D character sprites on top of 3D environments, but it's just not very appealing to me, personally. Sort of surprised Tappy isn't on board for the music. I thought he was involved with Bloodstained.

Dayum, this just means suikoden might get revived if enough traction is hyped from this and reaches Konami's attention. Looks to be retreading S2's themes/plot so I'll keep an eye but I'm not gonna back. But the hardcore-fanbase is re-energized no doubt from the look of things on Sns.

I realllly want that Harmonia Finale to close up Suikoden as a franchise and wrap up the IP w/ a nice bow and tie.

Dayum, this just means suikoden might get revived if enough traction is hyped from this and reaches Konami's attention. Looks to be retreading S2's themes/plot so I'll keep an eye but I'm not gonna back. But the hardcore-fanbase is re-energized no doubt from the look of things on Sns.

I realllly want that Harmonia Finale to close up Suikoden as a franchise and wrap up the IP w/ a nice bow and tie.
I very much doubt it. KONAMI are the absolute worst when it comes to allowing their IPs to lay dormant. These days it seems like they are more interested in Pachinko machines than video games.

I backed for a digtal copy yesterday already. Have to admit I have never played any Suikoden Game in my life,:blush: but I decided to help the Project out because I liked the art style in the Trailer and in general I enjoy this classic 2d like JRPGS. I try to play the japanese Version of Grandia for my Saturn just now and I really like it, although is no walk in the park to play it with a translation guide.

Thanks for advice I will give it a try. As far as I know Suikoden 1 and 2 are available on the psn for the PS3 and PSP. So it would be Problem to enjoy them today.

Dayum, this just means suikoden might get revived if enough traction is hyped from this and reaches Konami's attention.
KONAMI better not touch it without Murayama involved writing and directing. They did enough damage with IV, V and the two Tierkreis.

Welp, I have no idea what you guys are talking about with Suikoden stuff and so on. I know Suikoden by name but that's it. No idea who those guys are, but if they are ex-Konami people, I'm glad Konami is not involved as I certainly would not have touched a game with the Konami logo on it nowadays. I can't imagine why anyone would want to do that post 2015 or so.

With all that said, yeah, this looks exactly like the kind of retro style JRPG I'd want to play. Backed it for a physical copy. Very much looking forward to the game. Thanks for the heads-up, @OP.

Love the Pixel art.

Side note : They really seem to have used S3's campaign as a blueprint for for their "realities of crowdfunding" section. Quite embarrassing as a Shenmue fan but I hope they have learned from S3's mistakes.

Thanks for advice I will give it a try. As far as I know Suikoden 1 and 2 are available on the psn for the PS3 and PSP. So it would be Problem to enjoy them today.
Suikoden 1 is quite rough so I would not recommend starting on that one, and while connected you do not really need to Suikoden 1 to enjoy Suikoden2.

Back on topic, I do not know if I will back the kickstarter (I only used once for Shenmue3) but I will definitely buy it day 1.

Something I find kind of interesting about the stretch goals is that many of them seem to be things that fans would think of as staples of the Suikden series:

- fortress building
- sound effects edit
- up to 108 recruitable characters
- an aristocratic French character (I presume)
- someone-the-VII
- fishing/cooking (although not in all games in the series)

Suikoden 1 is quite rough so I would not recommend starting on that one, and while connected you do not really need to Suikoden 1 to enjoy Suikoden2.
I would personally recommend starting with the first game. Sure, it's not totally necessary, but part of the reason fans tend to like Suikoden II so much is how much the characters from the first game are relevant to the story and characters in the second game. These days they aren't really that much different in terms of accessibility. The first game is probably more challenging, but they both appear fairly dated by today's standards.

I really can't imagine playing through the series without chaining data in from the previous games.

I very much doubt it. KONAMI are the absolute worst when it comes to allowing their IPs to lay dormant. These days it seems like they are more interested in Pachinko machines than video games.

Bloodstained motivated Konami to do something with the Castlevania Ip. Suikoden might get a second look if this take off like into the big millions.

KONAMI better not touch it without Murayama involved writing and directing. They did enough damage with IV, V and the two Tierkreis.

If not with a main entry, I'll take a side/gaiden game to explore more or lesser known conflict and regions.

I backed for a digtal copy yesterday already. Have to admit I have never played any Suikoden Game in my life,:blush: but I decided to help the Project out because I liked the art style in the Trailer and in general I enjoy this classic 2d like JRPGS. I try to play the japanese Version of Grandia for my Saturn just now and I really like it, although is no walk in the park to play it with a translation guide.

They're all interconnected and woven through characters and events having some impact on the story and world-building.
I'd recc you to not skip any of the entry even if you don't play em in chronological order.

I've never played a Suidoken game but I think I downloaded one of them on the PS3. The backlog of shame has meant that I never got round to playing it sadly, but I love turn based RPG's and it does look lovely, so I figured backing this was an easy win.

To be fair to them, they've had over 5 years of observing Kickstarter projects to see what works and what doesn't, whereas Shenmue didn't have that luxury. I know that there were games made prior to that, but not on a Shenmue scale. Still, despite the bitter pill of (presumably) highlighting Shenmue as an example of what not to do, compared to say Mighty No. 9, it's a whole other level.

I am pleased that this game is doing so well :)

I've never played a Suidoken game but I think I downloaded one of them on the PS3. The backlog of shame has meant that I never got round to playing it sadly, but I love turn based RPG's and it does look lovely, so I figured backing this was an easy win.

Suikoden is inspired based on water margin(one of the four great classical works of China).

But many fans have comparably say the actual game substance is more akin to game of thrones before game of thrones was a thing.

I personally, just like the political theatre and the well written drama and plot twist that accompany it. The world building is in top tier category as well which is a huge plus.

If not with a main entry, I'll take a side/gaiden game to explore more or lesser known conflict and regions.
Yeah, they basically tried that with all the games post-SIII, though--but especially with Tierkreis and Tierkreis - Tsumugareshi-mono. SIV is playable, and is what it is (at least tactics is a pretty good SRPG); SV I absolutely hate for introducing a bunch of flat, anime trope characters, and a dumb story, but it looks nice, and has a pretty killer soundtrack. Tierkreis is horrible. It's not broken, but it's still a travesty. I only played a little bit of Tsumugareshi-mono, but it didn't seem much better. I've pretty much learned not to let KONAMI mess with my fandom anymore. If they wanted to gift the IP to Murayama, I'd be all for it, but I'm done supporting the Suikoden brand, otherwise.

I personally, just like the political theatre and the well written drama and plot twist that accompany it. The world building is in top tier category as well which is a huge plus.
Right on. There's only a few RPGs that come close to Suikoden in these regards, for me.

Yeah, they basically tried that with all the games post-SIII, though--but especially with Tierkreis and Tierkreis - Tsumugareshi-mono. SIV is playable, and is what it is (at least tactics is a pretty good SRPG); SV I absolutely hate for introducing a bunch of flat, anime trope characters, and a dumb story, but it looks nice, and has a pretty killer soundtrack. Tierkreis is horrible. It's not broken, but it's still a travesty. I only played a little bit of Tsumugareshi-mono, but it didn't seem much better. I've pretty much learned not to let KONAMI mess with my fandom anymore. If they wanted to gift the IP to Murayama, I'd be all for it, but I'm done supporting the Suikoden brand, otherwise.

the ds one and psp one needed to expand on the lore of the main series. IV+Gaiden1-3 and V were still embraced/beloved in general by the fandom because they didn't stray too far from the established mythos/setting.

Right on. There's only a few RPGs that come close to Suikoden in these regards, for me.

Only two other creative team (S.E's Team Front & Matsuno[Ogres Battle/War of the Lions]) has crafted games of similar caliber in this regard for me as well.

Last edited:
I'm gonna call it now: Perielle could probably pretty easily end up being my favorite character, if she's also a Vincent de Boule type.
I also just noticed that it looks like the main character is not going to be a silent protagonist in this game. That should be interesting.

Only two other creative team (S.E's Team Front & Matsuno[Ogres Battle/War of the Lions]) has crafted games of similar caliber in this regard for me as well.
Tactics Ogre was exactly one of the games I was thinking of, for sure. Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter also has one of the most fantastic stories in video games. It goes for a much smaller cast of characters, but makes up for it in depth, and world building. Pretty unapproachable gameplay for most, though.

Back