Dreamcast Beharbos VGA boxes or HDMI Cables?

Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Resident Evil 4 Remake
PSN
wesker85
Steam
Puma085
Has anybody here experience with the latest VGA boxes and HDMI cables for the Dreamcast? My old HDMI to VGA converter broke so I am looking for a decent replacement.

Although I have a Framemeister too and with RGB Scart the Image is not looking at at all i still like the 480p Image better than the 576i/480i Image of the Scart ouput of the DC.

I know that the absolute best would be to get the DC HDMI mod, but this out of the question as I am not a skilled modder.

So I either want to geht the Bebarbos Gekko box or one of the HDMI cables that are available?

According to YouTube the vga boxes are superior compared to the cables.

But I still want to gather some more Information. Please share your experiences with the stuff if you have any.

thanks for the help in advance. :)

Behar bros are fantastic. About 2 or 3 years after buying one of their VGA boxes, the red and blue pins malfunctioned; they sent a new cable for free (cleverly, the short cable lead separates from the box itself). Pound revision 2 is pretty damn good, especially for the MSRP. Either of them are great options, especially combined with an mCable will give you very nice upscaling at a fairly afforable grand total price.

Personally, I prefer upscaling and find Dreamcast the most scale-friendly of consoles for the wide 480p library. Infiniteily better to upscale a source already progressive scanning, than also de-interlacing. My setup uses an amazing Gefen VGA-DVI-D converter box, which I run at 1080p to my TV with a DVI male to HDMI male cable. These are no longer made or even supported, I dont think? Plus, they're fairly expensive if you find old stock on ebay (which I did) or find the updated HDMI revision new.

dviscaler.jpg

Thanks for your detailed answer. If viable also prefer doing some upscaling with is quite with the good old Dreamcast. Have heard many good things about the gefen scaler but as you said it is hard to find these days and not at a good price. The m cable would be a better option. Not cheap as well but it is more easier to get. And according to the youtube the m cable is a great device . I think I will consider getting a m cable as well.

Yeah, for saving a few dollars all while getting an incredible image, Pound rev2+mCable is great for under $200. mCable+Behar Kuro box isn't much more, and also ever-so slightly brighter color image. Can't lose with either choice, really.

Last edited:
Back