Do you think Shenmue 4 will also come out for PS4?

RyoHazuki84

俺が益荒男
Favourite title
Shenmue
Okay, let's say within the next 2-3 years, we do get Shenmue 4. If the Sony deal still stands, we might get it on PS5. But like how other titles such as Yakuza Like a Dragon and Lost Judgment are getting PS4 and PS5 releases, do you think Shenmue 4 should get a dual release on the Sony consoles? By getting a PS4 release, it'll be more possible to use our saves from Shenmue 3 and carry them over to 4 as you can do with the first two games on Dreamcast (along with the HD re-releases). Considering the engine, it makes sense that we still get a PS4 release and we don't see that console being discontinued anytime soon. Considering how expensive and difficult it is to get a PS5 in some places, a PS4 release (along with PS5 and PC) at this point makes perfect sense.

We can all agree that the pre-existing assets will work on other platforms, but a PS4 release at this point (or within the next three years) makes perfect sense IMHO.

Hope not... Cross-gen games are already overstaying their welcome, let alone in 2023/2024 or later.

Besides, I want Shenmue 4 to make full use of UE5, and Nanite and especially Lumen wouldn't be suitable for last gen consoles.

You can still transfer saves even if it doesn't come out on PS4... PS5 supports cross-save functionality, your PS4 saves can be stored on PS5 since it's fully backwards compatible. With PC it's no brainer, it would just work.

Although it’s doubtful Shenmue 4 will be a visual powerhouse, by that point there really shouldn’t be any cross-gen releases and being able to take advantage of the SSD means the way open worlds can be built will be a lot more intuitive (No more forced walking sections as an example).

It would be great if Suzuki is able to use UE5 and some of the really smart solutions part of the engine along with porting all their existing workflow and assets.

I don't expect Shenmue IV this side of 2023 at all, so in that respect I expect it'll be exclusive to the newest set of consoles.

The only way I see that changing is if supply issues get much worse and throttle sales to the point there's an industry-wide shift to cross-gen titles as a way to ensure profitability. Even then, PS5 isn't hugely off the PS4's sales at this point in its lifespan. It would take some real shit hitting the fan to keep the industry pumping out cross-gen games even in 2023 and beyond.

Depends on the timeframe it is going to released. If it comes out rather soon maybe but if does not get released before 23 or 24 than not. I hope it won't get a ps4 release.

It is time to let the ancient hardware from 2013 die.

It is unlikely that S4 will have graphics that can challenge the games of bigger studios in visiual fidelity using old hardware could still lead to inferior version of the game. Releasing the game on modern hardware only would be the better way.

It is time to let the ancient hardware from 2013 die.
Oh, people, please don't be such hypocrites. This "ancient" hardware still runs recent games amazingly well, especially if you have a PS4 Pro/XOX. I play Resident Evil Village with cutting edge visuals and a stable 60fps just like PS5, the only downside being that ray tracing is not available which I could care less for. Or the recent Marvel's Guardians of Galaxy with its amazing graphics runs at high res with a rock solid 30fps, no hiccups at all on Pro. Base PS4 is good too, just lower res. I could go on and on, all the games still work very fine on the "ancient" hardware. You're missing the understanding of this consoles. It's not the PS3/360 era when Far Cry 3 barely ran at 20fps with constant full screen tearing back in 2012 like so many other games. Now those consoles were really ancient and underpowered by then. But it's a very different story with PlayStation 4 era. You should've known that if you paid a closer attention.

You are missing my point completley. Yes the ancient hardware runs games well enough but it prevents games from evoling on the current gen hardware. Sure thing you can give the current gen consoles better resolutions and maybe a bit prettier lightning effects but these games remain the same games that would run on old hardware. You cannot make a game with a better physics engine, with destructable enviroment because such stuff is not going to run on the current gen. If you are happy with the status quo of gaming and do not mind the lack of real advancements in the graphics field your opinion is understandable. But if you want more from the current gen of tech you can only get it if the old consoles are left in the dust and when games are just developed for current gen hardware.

Last edited:
Oh, people, please don't be such hypocrites. This "ancient" hardware still runs recent games amazingly well, especially if you have a PS4 Pro/XOX. I play Resident Evil Village with cutting edge visuals and a stable 60fps just like PS5, the only downside being that ray tracing is not available which I could care less for. Or the recent Marvel's Guardians of Galaxy with its amazing graphics runs at high res with a rock solid 30fps, no hiccups at all on Pro. Base PS4 is good too, just lower res. I could go on and on, all the games still work very fine on the "ancient" hardware. You're missing the understanding of this consoles. It's not the PS3/360 era when Far Cry 3 barely ran at 20fps with constant full screen tearing back in 2012 like so many other games. Now those consoles were really ancient and underpowered by then. But it's a very different story with PlayStation 4 era. You should've known that if you paid a closer attention.
The games you mentioned are cross gen, they were made with last gen consoles in mind.

By the time a hypothetical Shenmue 4 releases, cross gen titles will cease to exist, so if S4 has a PS4 version it would look way behind other games in the technical department

Look at the Matrix Awakens demo if you want to see how a next gen only game can look like

Look at the Matrix Awakens demo if you want to see how a next gen only game can look like
Played it. The city segment of course, being the main bulk of the demo. While it looked very photorealistic (esp. with the "matrix filter" turned off) I couldn't help but notice how blurry it all looks, not sharp at all. And well... the average 25fps really hurt my eyes in this. Honestly was more impressed with MS Flight Simulator on console which is a true next gen showcase, imo

But if you want more from the current gen of tech you can only get it if the old consoles are left in the dust and when games are just developed for current gen hardware.
I agree with that and have nothing against it. I was just objecting your "ancient consoles" statement as I see it very often on the internet and couldn't agree less with it. I also always hated when so many people jumped on bandwagon of "that weak ass Jaguar CPU", usually "PC Master race" people, all the while when those "weak" consoles produced such goddman beauties like RDR 2 which still can melt many PC's. The old gen gave us some incredible looking titles that still stand as the best in business and have enough juice left to carry a few more years easily. But I'm all for the new exclusive games for the current gen!

I am old fashionined. I think new gen consoles only should be sold when the publishers are willing to make games for it. Paying 500 Euro to play the same games the last gen can play in just a bit prettier is not my thing. that would be a waste of money. The ps4 was not bad during it's prime.

I also do not see ancient as an insult to the ps4 xbox one gen.

90 per cent of my gaming time I spend on the mega drive/mega cd, Saturn Playstation 1 and my all time favourite consoles. I like to play on prehistoric consoles . So ancient is not meant as an insult.

But as of 2022 the hardware of the ps4 is outdated. With todays tech you could make games (in theory at least) that were not possible on last gen. As an earlier buyer of the ps5 I just want my investment to pay off. with playing more curent gen games.

But I did not meant to insult the ps4 with the ancient moniker. The base ps4 was my main modern gaming platform from 2013 till i got the ps5 in 2020 and there was nothing wrong with it. It is still a good console.

In 2 or 3 years, the majority of people will have mostly moved onto next gen consoles as their primary source of gaming. PS4s will be collecting dust.

Old hardware isnt going to help the already existing dated dated narrative that is pushed on S3. Not everyone who enjoyed the game is going to be impacted to the point where they dust off the Ps4 just to play this game. We're approaching that point in the PS4s life where it'll be largely sports titles and low budget games getting released in the final days

In 2 or 3 years, the majority of people will have mostly moved onto next gen consoles as their primary source of gaming
its easier said than done now when it's still not possible to buy a PS5 or Xbox Series X at retail price after more than a year after its launch. And by all accounts this situation will continue all the way thru 2022, at the very least and if pandemic will be still with us(which if looks like it) , the deficit can remain well into the forseeble future. So PS4 can stay afloat for a lot more time than it takes usually when switching console generations

The pandemic will probably die out by the end of this year stop being this pessimistic about everything.
its easier said than done now when it's still not possible to buy a PS5 or Xbox Series X at retail price after more than a year after its launch. And by all accounts this situation will continue all the way thru 2022, at the very least and if pandemic will be still with us(which if looks like it) , the deficit can remain well into the forseeble future. So PS4 can stay afloat for a lot more time than it takes usually when switching console generations

The pandemic will probably die out by the end of this year stop being this pessimistic about everything.
I'm just being realistic. or have u been living under a rock and not seen the infection antirecords which are now being across the world

Considering people were half-hoping for Shenmue 3 to get a Dreamcast release, it's hardly beyond the realms of possibility that Shenmue 4 gets a ps4 release. Especially if they cut costs by using all the same engine and assets. In fact, I hope it does get a ps4 release for this very reason. I'd rather we get innovative and well-directed cutscenes with the same models and not a game where the majority of resources are spent on state of the art textures and visual clarity.

Bar a miracle, S4 is likely going to working under the same remit of 'budget is barely enough to provide an open-world of this nature' so expecting AAA PS5 production values might be a bit of a stretch.

Last edited:
Least of my concerns, sorry. Time to move on. Console gens always end.

No. PS4 will be a dead System next year.
in a better world maybe but the chip shortage is so consistently messed up right now and it's actually been getting worse. If sony is making sure god of war 5 is gonna be on ps4 then that should tell you all you need to know about how little faith they have in production to keep up with demand this and next year.

Back