Disc Swap in Shenmue 1

Currently playing
Yakuza 0 (PS4)
PSN
HoshiGAKiteiku
If I remember correctly in Shenmue 1 once you get to the harbor and do the forklift job your opportunities in hanging out in Dobuita/Sakuragaoka become sort of limited because of having to swap discs that doesn't contain all the data needed to, as well as your curfew. Now, with this collection being a Blu-ray or digital download and having all data in one package, do you think this will allow more freedom?

There's a chance I may be misremembering thpugh, since I haven't play all the way through the game for quite a while.

Doubt they will modify the games design that way due to more storage. I simply expect seamless transition between discs and the same content.

Disc 3 is really only limited in options to spend time around Dobuita and Sakuragaoka because it forces you to stay in the harbor for so long.
It doesn't start with the job so the necessary stuff is still on the disc and accessible, before you go to work that is.

I also doubt they will modify the structure of the game. I even speculated in another topic that I believe they will even keep the seperate scene folders for each disc intact, at least if the Xbox is a template to go by.

Well, what gives me hope is that they changed the button UI in Shenmue 1 to be more consistent with the ones I'm Shenmue 2.

Shenmue 2 uses several context sensitive buttons for different things whereas the first game just basically used the same button to perform actions outside of combat. Wouldn't they have had to modify the engine in some way to allow this type of UI in the first game?

And if they modified the engine it might mean other things could have changed as well. I know it's dumb but I'd really like to control Rho walking up and down steps in Shenmue 1 as in the original he does it automatically but in Shenmue 2 you have control. ?

It has nothing to do with the data on the disk, it's just that your investigations keep you at the harbor until at least 8pm every night. You can still spend your nights in Dobuita...

It has nothing to do with the data on the disk, it's just that your investigations keep you at the harbor until at least 8pm every night. You can still spend your nights in Dobuita...

He hit the nail on the head, the location data is pretty much on every disc, I'm pretty sure it's just cutscenes that are disc specific.

Back