Concern about Shenmue rerelease date

PSN
lorddanilo
I was seeing the games that arrives in august and I was a bit worried. Shenmue 1&2 comes in 21th august and Yakuza Kiwami 2 arrives in 28th august. Other games like PES 2019 may catch the attention of Shenmue.

Gamefaqs made a poll about this month, and apparently Shenmue is the most waited game.

wp_ss_20180731_0002 (2).png
link: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/poll/7158-which-scheduled-august-release-are-you-most-looking-forward

What do you think about it? IMO maybe July was the best chance to bring these games to the fans, but this poll made me more confident.

Last edited:
I think it's going to be OK. The Shenmue community is a bit weird, as they almost need no mass wrangling or incentive to come together. We are just a gelatinous mass that can hide behind the refrigerator for years and pop out and unite at a moments' notice.

You could also say that Sega shot themelves in the foot for putting out Yakuza 0 for PC on 8/1, 3 weeks before Shenmue PC, and Yakuza 0 is a game that takes over 100 hours for completionists, and when viewing with 2018 eyes only, Yakuza 0 is a "better" game, in terms of robustness.

I think it's fine. I think in the late 90's things like this would be a problem, but with the internet, there's no blindspots like this, it's a 30,000 foot view of everything.

This is such a slow month I think it's a great release date honestly... I wouldn't put much stock in the poll though. We as a community tend to band together and stuff polls like this...

I think it's going to be OK. The Shenmue community is a bit weird, as they almost need no mass wrangling or incentive to come together. We are just a gelatinous mass that can hide behind the refrigerator for years and pop out and unite at a moments' notice.

You could also say that Sega shot themelves in the foot for putting out Yakuza 0 for PC on 8/1, 3 weeks before Shenmue PC, and Yakuza 0 is a game that takes over 100 hours for completionists, and when viewing with 2018 eyes only, Yakuza 0 is a "better" game, in terms of robustness.

I think it's fine. I think in the late 90's things like this would be a problem, but with the internet, there's no blindspots like this, it's a 30,000 foot view of everything.
I mean, it could take over 100 hours and multiple playthroughs to see everything Shenmue has to offer. Not to mention, all the secrets that lie in those games and still are undiscovered.

m1.PNG
The global stats are really interesting too (Shenmue is green, Blue is Dead Cells and deep Red is Yakuza Kiwami 2).

I think the Yakuza games are good, but really shallow compared to Shenmue. I felt that I was Ryo Hazuki. Yakuza is good but it's just a Japanese GTA to me. Fun but with no feeling.

I don't really understand any worries about the release date. If one wants to buy shenmue 1+2, he will (even at a later date after release) .

If one doesn't want to buy shenmue 1+2, he won't, no matter what. (Not even at a later date after release)
"Interference" is not really existent, especially in gaming.

Great to see Shenmue doing so well. I think the August release is just fine. Granted, early August would have been more preferable but still.

Madden comes out just over a week before and you don't want to be fighting for shelf space with that as you won't win. Granted I don't think there is a connection between Madden and Shenmue fans but the better place it has on the shelf the more chance of someone wondering into Gamestop and picking it up. The next game after Shenmue which will take over display room like a monster is Spider-man which is almost 3 weeks after. You have some games like Dragon Quest but that's a more niche title.

I'd say almost 3 weeks of being the most prominent game on shelves is quite an achievement in this day and age of new games every week. Although shelf space is important I think the place where Shenmue could shock people is Steam. With Spider-Man being a PS4 exclusive Shenmue has a chance of standing out on Steam for almost a month. Steam is also a much more social platform with people checking out what their friends are playing and what games are popular right now. I've seen people posting about buying extra copies for friends and my advice if you're going to do that is do it on Steam. The top seller list of Steam get's people to look into the game more and possibly buy the game while the consoles don't have these lists.

Update:
m1.PNG
The votes are now more then double of what they were since the last post (now 8500ish). Interesting, the overall percentage for each game has remained (with shenmue continuing to be the highest rated title at 25%ish) but some regions are showing different. All of Ireland is now on the Shenmue bandwagon, Norway's jumped onto the Warioware hypetrain and Algeria stepped up to vote last minute with someone voting for Kiwami 2 haha. Very intriguing to see.

I don't really understand any worries about the release date. If one wants to buy shenmue 1+2, he will (even at a later date after release) .

If one doesn't want to buy shenmue 1+2, he won't, no matter what. (Not even at a later date after release)
"Interference" is not really existent, especially in gaming.
Unfortunately, there is a history of games getting overshadowed at launch that does have an impact on overall sales. In general you are correct, but there is certainly at least a small correlation between launch dates next to more popular games and lifetime sales...

i searched for Shenmue HD 1 & 2 on Amazon Germany today and both console versions are sold out for now.

soldout.jpg

Last edited:
Back