Bypass Bedtime

This is more of a hack than a mod, might be interesting to some, nonetheless.

You can roam the streets after 11:30pm, horde toy capsules, hit the bars in Dobuita, play some pool, talk to a few drunkards, etc.
It's possible that using this hack during normal gameplay breaks the story, let us know if it does! :D

Hex edit the game executable (Shenmue.exe), then:
Code:
Find pattern: 0F 85 B6 02 00 00 40 84 CE
Replace with: E9 B7 02 00 00 90 40 84 CE
Alternatively, use Cheat Engine, address is: Shenmue.exe+845CA

Notes:
- Pattern above is for v1.07, may vary in other versions (or not, untested)
- If you're in the harbor after 11:30pm, there won't be any buses until 7:00am (check schedules)
- You won't be automatically brought to your room at any point, unless the story plot does so; you will have to travel to your house all the way if needed. Unless you need to go there to advance some plot line, or to skip to 8:30am faster, you shouldn't need to go home or sleep - Ryo handles sleep deprivation quite nicely tbh.

For Shenmue 2 (v1.07), use this:
Code:
Find pattern: 0F 85 F1 00 00 00 0F BE 05
Replace with: E9 F2 00 00 00 90 0F BE 05

Last edited:
Great work; do you still get reprimanded by Ine-san, and if so, at what times?

Great work; do you still get reprimanded by Ine-san, and if so, at what times?
Honestly, I'm not sure.
I was convinced that you only got reprimanded once, and from there on the game would bring you home within the time frame set by Ine-san, thus automatically avoiding further reprimands. Anyway, haven't tested much, but I think that does not happen.

I was convinced that you only got reprimanded once, and from there on the game would bring you home within the time frame set by Ine-san, thus automatically avoiding further reprimands. Anyway, haven't tested much, but I think that does not happen.

Whether you get reprimanded or not has no effect on how long you can stay out - the deadline is always 11:30pm (except when it isn't - when looking for Heartbeats Bar, Old Warehouse No. 8, and Nozomi).

The first time you arrive home later than 10pm, Ine will greet you at the door and say she was worried about you ("Don't worry, I'll always be home before 11pm"). The first time the game forces you to go to bed you get a bollocking off her when you try to leave the house. These are two separate events (in fact, you can get both of them on either side of the same sleep - come home after 10pm for the first one, then go out and play Space Harrier until you have to come home again and you'll get the second one when you try to leave the house again).

I'd imagine in this case since you no longer have a deadline, the second one simply won't happen; the first should still happen the first time you arrive home after 10pm (although I don't know at what point you're too late to be told off by her - my guess is either midnight, 4am, 8am).

Whether you get reprimanded or not has no effect on how long you can stay out - the deadline is always 11:30pm (except when it isn't - when looking for Heartbeats Bar, Old Warehouse No. 8, and Nozomi).

The first time you arrive home later than 10pm, Ine will greet you at the door and say she was worried about you ("Don't worry, I'll always be home before 11pm"). The first time the game forces you to go to bed you get a bollocking off her when you try to leave the house. These are two separate events (in fact, you can get both of them on either side of the same sleep - come home after 10pm for the first one, then go out and play Space Harrier until you have to come home again and you'll get the second one when you try to leave the house again).

I'd imagine in this case since you no longer have a deadline, the second one simply won't happen; the first should still happen the first time you arrive home after 10pm (although I don't know at what point you're too late to be told off by her - my guess is either midnight, 4am, 8am).
Yes, that's correct, the reprimands are just cut-scenes that give the player information that explain the enforcement of rules, although I wasn't aware of the other variations. The only thing this hack does is avoid Ryo being a "good boy", not reminding himself that he has to go home, ever.

Just complementing with some additional hacks, one of which is similar to the first one, non-intrusive, but the second one implicates every AI aspect of the game.

- Stay after-hours: This one came to mind when I was inside the You Arcade, upon leaving one game for another Ryo looks at his watch and takes notice that the joint is about to close, and he then leaves. Frustrating, since you cannot come back in before the working hours. In order to stay after-hours, hex edit the game executable (Shenmue.exe), then:
Code:
Find pattern: 74 4A 0F BE 05 6E E1 D7 09
Replace with: EB 4A 0F BE 05 6E E1 D7 09
Alternatively, use Cheat Engine, address is: Shenmue.exe+28064AD

- Set a static time for the AI: This one is kind of stupid, there are already ways of changing the game time which encompass everything about the game; the difference here is that this one does not affect things like day/night cycle (except those 19:00 "lights on" cut-scene). The only reason I tracked it down was to see if it was possible to keep the You Arcade open 24/7, which this allows... but the downside is that the same time is enforced on everything except the day/night cycle and Ryo's watch, anyway... hex editing:
Code:
Find pattern: 88 41 04 0F B6 05 F8 57 D7 09
Replace with: C7 41 04 12 00 00 00 90 90 90
Alternatively, use Cheat Engine, address is: Shenmue.exe+280EE23

Note: Some quick context for the last pattern above... the value 12 translates to the hour, in hex form (18), which means that the game (NPCs, businesses, time constrained triggers) will always assume it's 18:00, you can change this to whatever between 0 and 17 (hex for 0-23). As I said previously, not very useful - I only used it briefly to keep You Arcade open 24/7 while I roamed around for a while (now that I think of it, it should extend to buses too).

Last edited:
Great. I've been waiting for this. I have to test it when I get around to it though.

Back