Buying digital copy to start playing at midnight vs. getting physical copy

Is there any reason why YSNet couldn't ship the game and the bonus stuff so that it arrives on or as near as dammit to the release date? I've bought 3 copies ($300 edition for myself and two digital copies for friends and family) and I really don't want to purchase another copy just to play it on release day. I want to support the series as much as possible, but I think $360 is pretty fair...
Early copies risk spoilers, leaks, livestreams, having the whole thing uploaded to YouTube, etc - so the timing of distribution of physical backer copies has to be very precise on Fangamer's part to ensure nobody gets it too early.

However once it's in the postal system... there's not a lot they can do past that point. They may send copies out with the best intentions of them being received for launch day, but they have no control over what happens afterwards.

@Drakub already made the point above that even Amazon has trouble getting games into people's hands on day one, with their regionalised distribution centres and strong infrastructure. It's never foolproof, no matter how big or organised you are.

If you want to absolutely guarantee you get your copy day one, you either pick one up yourself or buy digitally.

Im going to get the physical copy of course. But I'm also buying a digital because I doubt any retailers will be selling Shenmue 3 at midnight.

I dont mind double dipping. I waited 18 years for this moment. I'm not wasting a nanosecond of time to play Shenmue III when I know it's readily available to play.

Early copies risk spoilers, leaks, livestreams, having the whole thing uploaded to YouTube, etc - so the timing of distribution of physical backer copies has to be very precise on Fangamer's part to ensure nobody gets it too early.

Good point. I think i'm a bit old school in that I just don't get live streaming and all that crap (and i'm only 33...). It's a shame really. It is rather amusing to think that if we were in a similar position with Shenmue II, the worst spoilers would be if someone posted on a forum or made it a news point.

The worry of spoilers is one of my biggest pet peeve's in modern gaming (and cinema for that matter). I will never understand the dick waving contest of someone posting spoilers thinking that it's a good idea :/

I'm in a bit of a predicament then, because whilst I could buy another copy to play day one, I've never liked double dipping. The only saving grace I can think of is that at least i'll get a Kickstarter backer copy, but then it does bring up other pickles like the phone call DLC and whatnot (apologies if this has been discussed already).

It would be nice if a download code was given to all backers of the physical copy, because then this would negate the whole worry!!

My best guess is that we'll all get PSN or Steam codes sent to us the week before Aug. 27th through Kickstarter for the DLC and KS exclusive content. That code will just unlock the DLC and have it tied to our respective accounts. That way regardless of how you acquire the game, you'll have the goodies unlocked. That's just my assumption.

I backed the signed physical PS4 version, as well as a digital Steam version...but I don't think I want to play on PC anymore because my rig is no longer that great, and playing from the comfort of my couch seems more appropriate for Shenmue. No matter what, I will be playing day one, even if I have to go and buy a second PS4 version. The wife will forgive me...she's not thrilled about me having time off work either...she'll forgive me for that too :whistle:

I backed the signed physical PS4 version, as well as a digital Steam version...but I don't think I want to play on PC anymore because my rig is no longer that great, and playing from the comfort of my couch seems more appropriate for Shenmue. No matter what, I will be playing day one, even if I have to go and buy a second PS4 version. The wife will forgive me...she's not thrilled about me having time off work either...she'll forgive me for that too :whistle:

Oh, if you want a bit of your money back, I'm willing to buy your Steam code when it's given to you. This way, your second PS4 version will be somewhat cheaper. :)

I have the digital copy via the slacker paypal campaign so that's good enough for me. I would get a physical copy if I didn't preorder the game via the Kickstarter/Slacker Paypal Pledge.

Not sure if I will be downloading at midnight, but definitely will always play first and possibly second, play-thru on disc. Won't touch the download until I'm playing another game mainly in the drive, such as Yakuza or Syberia 3.

If I download at midnight, it'll be extremely tempting to boot up, but I mustn't!

I won't get a digital copy and I doubt that my physical ps4 slacker backer copy will arrive in time. Have hight hopes on my physical order from gamestop though. I can play it on the release date for sure maybe I get the copy even a day earlier as it happend before. Got my copy for days gone in the evening before the launch day.

Phew!!! Thats cool haahaa, yea its a signed print. Not the game itself.

The way fans have acted these past few years, it wouldnt surprise me if they kicked off over their own mis-information.

"Wheres my signed game?"
"There was no signed game. Its a signed print. Says right there on the Kickstarter Page"
"WHAAAAAT! This is a joke! I DEMAND MY SIGNED GAME!"

I'll definitely buy the digital copy as well as a retailer version at my local video games store. Just for the pleasure to pick up a copy from the shelf. :D

I'm definitely going to pre-order at Gamestop to get their medallion bonus. That will also take the stress out of me worrying if my Kickstarter will arrive on time.

Back