Board & card game recommendations

Recommend some of your favourite board games or card(traditional or otherwise) games and give a brief explanation on how it works etc.

I myself am into party board games lately and I'll start off with a classic:
uc_s0QYNxskkqPPn-0IKL0eoyKNq5F5hJ-FACYSSPxcvdMcvjmpxDDXrzwWp9XlC0nGn0wPKvHuUEtxGqXMRMw-YqEkQG5yJldVb-3NSkjg1V0zcZiQdjhXcFleoFJHNTBULtaM-YJT-yROSG--BmqwnmzlwDj_jiZTx4oqNijTcguTo61JbDz6vAsrhbLL-Py-J7E-jj-CBNovZb4-0PN6kN3Gw_Dhb1twECDZ9ox_9Fb8u_aTO-zjuVUNLvL44gXf1Bpk3RrxT1F7u3xyAb7CI=w256-h256-nc

So for those who haven't played Balderdash it is a bluffing game in which everyone writes down an answer to one of the following catagories:
  • People( who the person is)
  • Films(plot)
  • Dates(what happened on this date)
  • Words(definition)
  • Initials
So depending on what catagory is chosen each player bluffs and writes down an answer. One person reads the correct answer mixed with all the made up answers and then everyone guesses what they believe to be the correct answer.
Sounds easy but the correct answer is usually just as outrageous as the made up answers.

Depending on the group you play with this game can be a really good time, and just like most party games I'd recommend having a few drinks while playing.

Anyway, what are some board games you recommend?

I just got the Dark Souls board game Dark Woods expansion set. I haven't played this game at all though considering I have zero IRL friends who would want to get into it...

I really like Dice Forge and Boss Monster lately, though I play new tabletop games that I like regularly.

For now I'll just describe these two. They are quite simple.

In Dice Forge, your turn consists of basically managing an accumulation of resources derived from rolling a single D6 with which you purchase cards that represent points and that usually trigger some kind of power, buff, player extension, global boon or disadvantage against opponents. The "Dice Forge" part comes into play in that each player's D6 has removable sides, so each player can customize their D6 by choosing to purchase a new side that might represent a particular resource. So, if you want more sun shards, for example, you increase the chance of rolling sun shards by adding sun shard sides to your D6. Feels similar to the flow of Lords of Waterdeep, except that it's less complex in terms of what can be done on the game board. However, being able to customize your rolls adds an equal amount of strategy to the chance side of things. Very nice. The game ends after a set number of rounds based on the number of players; count up your victory points. Fun game.

Boss Monster is pretty popular and is sold in most gaming, bookstores, and Target type stores in the U.S., so it probably needs no description among us pro-gamers. I like it. It's basically a card-based simulation of Dungeon Keeper mashed up with 8-bit side-scrollers. So, you start with the monster you control, then you draw cards representing rooms containing minions and traps, build your own side-scrolling dungeon, then you lure in heroes by drawing hero cards who try to steal your treasure, magic item, or whatever, as they proceed through each of your rooms, ultimately fighting you -- the Boss. Nice reversal. Gameplay is fun. It has an entertaining atmosphere/artstyle. It feels like if a much simplified Dungeon Keeper was on the Sega Master System, all done with cards.

Last edited:
Back