Best Fighter in Shenmue?

Who do you think is the best fighter in the series?

• Ryo Hazuki

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Niao Sun

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jianmin

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Sunming Zhao

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Lan Di

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • Guixiang Lee

• Master Chen

• Guizhang Chen

• Xiuying

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Ziming

• Total voters
For all we know Iwao might have been holding back as to not want to hurt Zhao's son
Except he didn't know it was Zhao's son until after he got his clock cleaned...

It is pretty tough to answer this as there are so many instant win / no chance scenarios.

Lan Di only had to do one move against Iwao, wich is said to be very capable, but without any reference point.
Xiuying is untouchable for Ryo but Ryo is the only measurement. It is somewhat of a given trope that Ziming is stronger than Xiuying but without the guy appearing at all, who really knows. Also what about the fourth member? What about Tentei? Is he the ultimate guy or is he just at the top because he's so influential?

Really the only thing left is to look at what is in real gameplay, meaning who Ryo fights with a health bar on screen.
Dou Niu is the strongest in the story but I he's just hitting like a madman. Baihu is the more skilled fighter for sure.
But overall I'd say that Izumi is the toughest matchup for Ryo, but we all know how and why.

Only speculation left is Ryo himself. He isn't the strongest, neither at the start of Shenmue, nor at the end of Shenmue II.
But where will the story take him? Will he eventually beat them all? That's typical for such a story but Shenmue isn't typical and I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't manage to overcome, say even Lan Di, but still come out good at the end.

I dunno I feel Ren is more of a scrapper than he looks, kinda like Miguel in Tekken, he's a street fighter with brawling moves and no discipline but his brute strength and survivors will keeps him on par with the Kazuya's and Law's or you could compare Ren to Bronn from Game of Thrones, Bronn has no discipline but he is street wise and knows how to survive, I imagine Ren would be very similar to Bronn but yes definitely would get his ass whooped in a situation where he would be forced to fight with honor. Same reason Bronn avoided the fight with the mountain would be the same way Ren would avoid a fight with Lan Di.
TL.DR

Ren would kick Yamagashi's San's ass albiet unconventionally.

I hate to go there with this comparison, but if you put Ren in Yakuza 1-6 he makes it out alive. I know YS has stated that Ren will be playable in Shenmue III, but will you be able to fight as Ren?

As far as I'm concerned, Ren of Heavens takes no L's, so therefore I think he's the strongest.

Only speculation left is Ryo himself. He isn't the strongest, neither at the start of Shenmue, nor at the end of Shenmue II.
But where will the story take him? Will he eventually beat them all?

Basing off a loose assumption of what Ryo will look like when he's in his late 30's, early 40's I see a man who would beat the brakes off of Lan-Di

latest

Basing off a loose assumption of what Ryo will look like when he's in his late 30's, early 40's I see a man who would beat the brakes off of Lan-Di

latest

Absolutely, Ryo is at the start of his martial arts journey. The finished Ryo would far eclipse the current in terms of ability. It's the journey that gets him there which will be both fun and interesting to see.

We know nothing about Tentei, Niao Sun or Ziming’s abilities yet, so it’s hard to say really. Out of the characters Ryo has met it’s between Xiuying and Lan Di.

Back