Appreciating Disc 4/Guilin

I'd believe it. Saturn Shenmue had a much shorter Yokosuka and most likely shorter everything. DIsc 4 Guilin, which is only a portion of Chapter 5(?), was surely suppose to be entirely in a Dreamcast Shenmue 3 if Sega hadn't pulled the plug after only ~2 years.

It seems that even in the early stages of the Dreamcast age The Yokosuka part seemed to be smaller than it it used to be. Cannot prove it, but I have reading some old previews again, and all of them stated that the game takes place in China. Some articles also mentioned Hong Kong. Japan was not mentioned in them as Setting at all. I am not sure if the info about the Japan Setting were lost in Translation or if Yu-San really put much more emphasis in the chinese Setting...

For me I think I realised with these re-releases that I have played through Shenmue too many times! So much so I haven't actually bothered to finish Guillin on the remasters as its mostly a lot of conversations - which is fine on the first or second play through but I just know them too well now. (Also visually I would say its the part of the game that has aged the worst)

But the first few times through the game it was great after the action packed dangerous Kowloon it felt so different. It also feels strange and dangerous in a different sense. By that point Ryo has fought his way through Harbour gangs on both sides of the sea and taken on the lawless Kowloon but this is a complete culture shock. Rural, wildlife all around and culturally very different - you suddenly feel quite out of your depth.

But also it does feel a bit tacked on - but very much looking forward to exploring it further!

Back