Analog stick mod for I/II HD?

Space Lion

Cigarettes to warm the throat, alcohol to cool it
Banned
Favourite title
Shenmue II
When Shenmue 1/2 HD was announced with modern controls I was excited they'd put Shenmue II'd analog stick controls into I. Instead, they took out II's analog stick controls entirely and we were forced to play both games with d-pad. This was a baffling decision. It's fine if you like playing Shenmue with d-pad but I prefer with analog. Is there a mod to map d-pad to analog for both games?

The left thumbstick is already mapped to the D-pad in the re-releases. They took out Shenmue II's analog movement, but it's still possible to use the thumbstick to move Ryo as digital movement.

The left thumbstick is already mapped to the D-pad in the re-releases. They took out Shenmue II's analog movement, but it's still possible to use the thumbstick to move Ryo as digital movement.

Sorry, I worded myself wrong: is it possible to make the movement analog based on analog stick again like how it is in II?

Sorry, I worded myself wrong: is it possible to make the movement analog based on analog stick again like how it is in II?
I don't know if such a mod exists yet, but at least for shenmue 2 we know it's possible... I agree it was a ridiculous decision especially after they advertised updated controls. Mapping a dpad control to an analogue stick is probably what i'd consider the opposite of updated lol. At least the camera is a bit easier to move, but all the other issues the new controls cause make me wish there was an option to play with classic Dreamcast setup...

I don't know if such a mod exists yet, but at least for shenmue 2 we know it's possible... I agree it was a ridiculous decision especially after they advertised updated controls. Mapping a dpad control to an analogue stick is probably what i'd consider the opposite of updated lol. At least the camera is a bit easier to move, but all the other issues the new controls cause make me wish there was an option to play with classic Dreamcast setup...

What has me miffed is that I was the only one who noticed or cared. And these people used the Shenmue Collection to introduce it to a new generation of players and made the controls worse even as they advertised “modern controls.” Fuck D3T. They had an opportunity to make Shenmue more easy to play for newcomers and instead did the opposite for the sake of some bone headed puritanism claiming they wanted to be close to the originals while actually downgrading an entire games confrols. That game also happens to be my favorite game of all time. I’m sorry that I’m mad. But Shenmue HD deserved more than D3T.

Last edited:
What has me miffed is that I was the only one who noticed or cared. And these people used the Shenmue Collection to introduce it to a new generation of players and made the controls worse even as they advertised “modern controls.” Fuck D3T. They had an opportunity to make Shenmue more easy to play for newcomers and instead did the opposite for the sake of some bone headed puritanism claiming they wanted to be close to the originals while actually downgrading an entire games confrols. That game also happens to be my favorite game of all time. I’m sorry that I’m mad. But Shenmue HD deserved more than D3T.
I agree, but I don't think they did it out of puritanism, I think they did it out of incompetence... They probably thought they were doing something good...

You're far from the only person who noticed or cared. It was one of the first things I complained about.
Ditto. I've complained about this on ResetEra in the past. (Sorry for the bump)

This has been on my TODO list of things I wanted to fix for quite some time now, but I hadn't had a stable native Windows install for about a year. I finally remedied that situation yesterday and took a look because I expected this one to be easy. Sadly, I don't have anything useful to share.

The analog stick swap works identically between the Dreamcast and original XBOX releases. In fact, the memory region where the setting is stored is nearly identical between both versions. I was surprised to discover that the behavior of the analog stick and Dpad are actually controlled independently, so you can have movement on both the Analog stick and Dpad on the Dreamcast / Xbox version if you want to. (But that removes your ability to look) On Dreamcast, the analog stick behavior is stored at 0C2562D5. If you're using DEmul, the equivalent address is 2C2562D5. With a value of 0, the analog stick looks around like the default. With a value of 1, the analog stick allows you to move / run. On XBOX, this is same value is found at 01A8DF89 in the emulator CXBX, I'm not sure what that correlates to on actual hardware. The byte before that, 0C2562D4 on Dreamcast controls the setting for the triggers. A value of 0x63 means the L trigger is for look, R is Run, whereas a value of 0x23 swaps it, L is R and R is Look. The same values are used on Xbox.

I figured since the trigger swap setting exists in the ports that I could just change the value and search for 0x63 or 0x23 then use the byte after it to flip the behavior of the right stick to movement. Sadly it appears that those same Look/Run values are not used for the trigger settings on the PC port of Shenmue II. I've also tried looking for that same memory region found on Dreamcast and Xbox by looking for other markers nearby and didn't have any luck finding it.

With all of the stuff that went unchanged compared to the original including leftovers, I'm actually surprised that I wasn't able to find the controller settings. I'm still under the impression that the underlying stuff is the same and they just slapped a brand new menu system on top so I was surprised not to find the control settings stuff.

One experiment that could be worth trying: I know people have managed to "convert" Dreamcast save data to work with the PC version. Has anyone tried to import the system file from the DC version (if any equivalent exists) into the PC version? It may be worth figuring out if they just completely axed the existing settings bits and replaced those. If so then it's actually feasible that they could have replaced the original control behavior logic. That doesn't mean it's impossible to bring back proper analog controls, just that it wouldn't be as easy as swapping the built-in flags and control mappings.

Ditto. I've complained about this on ResetEra in the past. (Sorry for the bump)

This has been on my TODO list of things I wanted to fix for quite some time now, but I hadn't had a stable native Windows install for about a year. I finally remedied that situation yesterday and took a look because I expected this one to be easy. Sadly, I don't have anything useful to share.

The analog stick swap works identically between the Dreamcast and original XBOX releases. In fact, the memory region where the setting is stored is nearly identical between both versions. I was surprised to discover that the behavior of the analog stick and Dpad are actually controlled independently, so you can have movement on both the Analog stick and Dpad on the Dreamcast / Xbox version if you want to. (But that removes your ability to look) On Dreamcast, the analog stick behavior is stored at 0C2562D5. If you're using DEmul, the equivalent address is 2C2562D5. With a value of 0, the analog stick looks around like the default. With a value of 1, the analog stick allows you to move / run. On XBOX, this is same value is found at 01A8DF89 in the emulator CXBX, I'm not sure what that correlates to on actual hardware. The byte before that, 0C2562D4 on Dreamcast controls the setting for the triggers. A value of 0x63 means the L trigger is for look, R is Run, whereas a value of 0x23 swaps it, L is R and R is Look. The same values are used on Xbox.

I figured since the trigger swap setting exists in the ports that I could just change the value and search for 0x63 or 0x23 then use the byte after it to flip the behavior of the right stick to movement. Sadly it appears that those same Look/Run values are not used for the trigger settings on the PC port of Shenmue II. I've also tried looking for that same memory region found on Dreamcast and Xbox by looking for other markers nearby and didn't have any luck finding it.

With all of the stuff that went unchanged compared to the original including leftovers, I'm actually surprised that I wasn't able to find the controller settings. I'm still under the impression that the underlying stuff is the same and they just slapped a brand new menu system on top so I was surprised not to find the control settings stuff.

One experiment that could be worth trying: I know people have managed to "convert" Dreamcast save data to work with the PC version. Has anyone tried to import the system file from the DC version (if any equivalent exists) into the PC version? It may be worth figuring out if they just completely axed the existing settings bits and replaced those. If so then it's actually feasible that they could have replaced the original control behavior logic. That doesn't mean it's impossible to bring back proper analog controls, just that it wouldn't be as easy as swapping the built-in flags and control mappings.

Please!

Never expected very many people liked the Shen2 analogue control. Way too touchy for me. Trigger all the way!!

Never expected very many people liked the Shen2 analogue control. Way too touchy for me. Trigger all the way!!
I prefer the trigger but I actually expect most people to prefer analogue lol it's definitely more mainstream...

When I'm playing normally I don't run, so it doesn't bother me either way there.

When I'm speedrunning it's analog all the way precisely because of the increased control it gives you. That and it lets you run in areas like Free Stay Lodge, your room at Come Over Guest House, Yuan's room, Yuanda's room, Shenhua's house, etc. that normally force you to walk, and also allows for proper utilisation of the spooky ghost glitch.

That's why I like it. I find the dpad controls limited and then they went and did what they did to Shenmue II in HD.

I never run when playing a full length story, either. Not since my 3rd oir 4th play back in 2002ish. Only sprint when booting up random mid-game files for a quick arcade visit, gambling or toy capsules/raffle drawings.

Like the voice over says in the Passport Magic Weather trailer, gotta soak everything in and observe the nature and architecture and shifting weather; aside from certain events or routines being missed if rushing through...

Honestly that would be so painful to me. I mean I walk a lot as it is for similar reasons but I can't imagine doing the first day of disk 2 for without running... yikes lmfao...

I mean just for shits and giggles let's run it down:
-After meeting Goro, walk to warehouse #8. Now once you get by Hokuhoku lunches things get interesting, but that whole walk down that pathway is pretty boring...
-Then walk to Old warehouse district... okay that's cool.
-But then walk all the way BACK to hokuhoku lunches. That's gotta be redundant at best...
-Then walk towards warehouse 17... okay once again that's cool.
-Then... walk BACK to hokuhoku lunches... again... no just no...
-Then walk BACK to old warehouse district at night(and I assume it should be late enough considering walking lmfao).

I mean again I see the appeal I'm not judging you or anything but man that would just be way to painful to me. Too many boring areas with NPCs that won't even talk to you IMO...

Last edited:
Imagine speedrunning the game without running. Also without skipping dialogue, area jump, and glitches.

And then imagine being crazy enough to go for all achievements at the same time. :p

Imagine speedrunning the game without running. Also without skipping dialogue, area jump, and glitches.

And then imagine being crazy enough to go for all achievements at the same time. :p

I actually used do exactly that but with running quite often lmfao... only the first game though not the 2nd...
Only difference is there was no achievements back in the day but I definitely would have gotten the ones we have now if they existed...

I prefer running. Running doesn’t stop me from occasionally stopping and smelling the flowers and turning it into a light walk for atmosphere. Both are a happy medium.

Back