An episodic approach?.

What if Shenmue IV went for an episodic approach, for example, like the telltale game series?.

Smaller chapters, but released more frequently and purchased individually or as a "season pass".

I personally think this might be a more interesting and financial approach to such a long and large scale game.

The only pitfalls I thought about would be players could hoard money between episode released or max out their stats (if that system was continued with), but then I guess you could do this in Shenmue 3 already.

I like it. And it might mean they can flesh the story and characters out more since it will be more focused, as opposed to Shenmue 3.

I'd prefer it. Bailu, Chobu, and Baisha could have all been something more story wise maybe if this was the approach.

I’d be up for it, provided it got a physical Complete Edition release after each season like the Hitman reboot.

I personally see this as the most logical step. It would allow Yu to do what he does best, obsess over small details.

Ehhh I don't see that working out too well, I just get flashbacks to the utterly excellent hitman 2016, which bombed because of that format.

Episodic content forces them to stretch their marketing budget over time. Gamers have a habit of buying in early and then a sizable amount forgetting about the game as new content is released. I think the current format makes the most sense.

Back