An annoucement about shenmue is coming ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As massively disappointing and offensive as an anime/manga/comic cartoon would be for this amazing game franchise, does anyone think it's possible that maybe they'll push forward with what was supposed to be Shenmue 4 in the form of a cartoon movie so this way Suzuki can focus on Shenmue 5 later or whatever the conclusion would be in game form if he can find funding.

No, I don't personally think so. I think any anime, live action series or film would aim to appeal to both new audiences and existing fans. Therefore they would not picking up in the middle of an existing story.

As massively disappointing and offensive as an anime/manga/comic cartoon would be for this amazing game franchise, does anyone think it's possible that maybe they'll push forward with what was supposed to be Shenmue 4 in the form of a cartoon movie so this way Suzuki can focus on Shenmue 5 later or whatever the conclusion would be in game form if he can find funding. If there's still approx 60% left of story to tell, and if Suzuki is realizing they can't fund 4 and 5, perhaps they'll move it along with some other unfortunate medium of media so if we do manage to get one more game out of it, it'll be closer to completion?? I hope not, but I haven't seen this idea suggested yet, even though it falls within the parameters of the rumor: Bigger than a novel, but not actually Shenmue 4 game.
It really depends who’s behind it and where they plan on launching it.

It it’s Sega (which seems most likely given that they still own the IP), I’d expect them to start at the beginning and continue forwards for as long as there is demand. This would probably be our best bet if getting a Shenmue 4 and could even lead to Sega funding it, but one suspects that it would need to be successful.

If Yu / YSNet are behind it, it could really go either way. Starting from the beginning could potential increase the size of the fan base whilst also removing some of the barriers preventing those unfamiliar with the series from picking up S3 or S4 (namely that they’re joining a story halfway through).

As you say though, picking up from the end of S3 could allow them to set up a final game although it would be difficult to gain too much interest from outside the fan base. Of course, they could just as easily be planning to complete the series in video form rather than making new games.

I’m inclined to think that it’s not the latter though as we’re less than a year out from the release of S3 and so I’d be surprised to see Yu giving up so soon.

As massively disappointing and offensive as an anime/manga/comic cartoon would be for this amazing game franchise, does anyone think it's possible that maybe they'll push forward with what was supposed to be Shenmue 4 in the form of a cartoon movie so this way Suzuki can focus on Shenmue 5 later or whatever the conclusion would be in game form if he can find funding.
This is my reasoning as well (mentioned it back on page 3 ;) ). If Yu can offload some of the story/backstory/fleshing out the important characters in an anime/manga/some other medium, that will reduce the amount of final story that needs to be told, then maybe he can then compress it into 1 final game, thus the budget for said final game will be higher = a higher quality finale. That's my guess, but at the same time, if they have the aim of bringing in new fans, the will have to retell the story from the start. They could do that, while incorporating/expanding on the story/characters, going past the story of Shenmue 3, and finishing up where a final game, Shenmue IV would start.

At this point, there are soo many theories going around that I really can't wait until it's announced (if it's a real thing that is), so we can just know.
Either way, I don't care what it is. Ultimately, it's more Shenmue Story! It could be a paint by numbers colour book for 4 year olds and I'd be happy :p

It really depends who’s behind it and where they plan on launching it.

It it’s Sega (which seems most likely given that they still own the IP), I’d expect them to start at the beginning and continue forwards for as long as there is demand. This would probably be our best bet if getting a Shenmue 4 and could even lead to Sega funding it, but one suspects that it would need to be successful.

If Yu / YSNet are behind it, it could really go either way. Starting from the beginning could potential increase the size of the fan base whilst also removing some of the barriers preventing those unfamiliar with the series from picking up S3 or S4 (namely that they’re joining a story halfway through).

As you say though, picking up from the end of S3 could allow them to set up a final game although it would be difficult to gain too much interest from outside the fan base. Of course, they could just as easily be planning to complete the series in video form rather than making new games.

I’m inclined to think that it’s not the latter though as we’re less than a year out from the release of S3 and so I’d be surprised to see Yu giving up so soon.
Pretty much this. An adaptation can increase the fanbase by a lot and drive sales similar how witcher netflix show spiked sales and concurrent users on Steam of the Witcher 3.

And I kinda believe a good live adaptation could reach more people than an anime.

Pretty much this. An adaptation can increase the fanbase by a lot and drive sales similar how witcher netflix show spiked sales and concurrent users on Steam of the Witcher 3.

And I kinda believe a good live adaptation could reach more people than an anime.
I agree that a live action series or a movie has the potential to attract a wider audience than an anime, but it also has the potential to be another Death Note or Dragon Ball Evolution. Both have their risks and downsides. Adaptations rarely turn out well, so I’m not too optimistic - although tbf, Netflix have actually done a pretty decent job with the Witcher and Castlevania series in recent times.

I’m still praying for DLC or an episodic S4 if I’m honest, but it’s starting to seem as though the writing is on the wall. It’s going to be a very long week (assuming they’re waiting for Shenmue day to announce whatever it is).

As long as it's not a mobile game, anything is ok. Mobile game is just a terrible idea.

I do think the Shenmue community are their own worse enemy sometimes

Any form of additional content in the various forms of media is a great thing. Its good for the fans because its more Shenmue. It's good for the franchise because it gets it in front of a wider audience, and it keeps the series alive. Not to mention the potential for extra story is there too.

From what i've gathered, this project seems to be coming from SEGA, not Ysnet

Suzuki and his studio are determine to make Shenmue 4

The absolute worse case scenario is if Sega announce a fun side project for the community and then the fans attack it, or turn into sharens shouting and screaming. If that happens, you have to ask yourself, why should they bother with Shenmue? The other communities like Yakuza, etc would never do this, so we shouldn't either, especially since we're older.

Once this announcement happens, we would have had new Shenmue content 3 years in row. That's amazing and should give you an indication of the future.

Those are my thoughts anyway. The only thing that will ruin this upcoming announcement is probably the community. I get that there's fear that the series might not go into Shenmue 4, but if you look at all the evidence we've collected and what suzuki himself has said, that's highly unlikely.

Don't self sabotage this opportunity. If we do, Sega are probably right to say F*k Shenmue, let's just focus on Yakuza and other Sega ips who would appreciate these same efforts.

This message isn't for everyone, but you already know, there's a toxic sector of the community ready to attack whatever gets announced. We should not add to that or be apart of it. Think of the long game and the bigger picture.

Last edited:
wait if it's something Sega related, than it's an entirely different matter.

I was thinking to some "indie" produced novel-manga (that for me would not be different from fan-fiction), but something official produced by Sega would be positive.
But if it's something non-interactive to show more story, i prefer an Anime series.

I'm interested in books only if they publish the original scripts of virtua fighter rpg.

Any form of additional content in the various forms of media is a great thing. Its good for the fans because its more Shenmue. It's good for the franchise because it gets it in front of a wider audience, and it keeps the series alive. Not to mention the potential for extra story is there too.
Couldn't agree more.
People crying already that it's an anime or manga and that it will "Kill the series" is just dumb. We have no idea what it is, no idea of the content or quality, so how about we wait for the announcement (if it comes), before we take judgement. At the same time, at this point, anything Shenmue from Sega (or YSnet/Deep Silver) is great! It means that they haven't just left it to die, and that there is some interest in continuing. We should all be jumping for joy, but there are always individuals looking for the worst case scenario, hunting for the doom & gloom and QQ'ing all the time.

From what i've gathered, this project seems to be coming from SEGA, not Ysnet

Suzuki and his studio are determine to make Shenmue 4

The absolute worse case scenario is if Sega announce a fun side project for the community and then the fans attack it, or turn into sharens shouting and screaming. If that happens, you have to ask yourself, why should they bother with Shenmue? The other communities like Yakuza, etc would never do this, so we shouldn't either, especially since we're older.

Once this announcement happens, we would have had new Shenmue content 3 years in row. That's amazing and should give you an indication of the future.

Those are my thoughts anyway. The only thing that will ruin this upcoming announcement is probably the community. I get that there's fear that the series might not go into Shenmue 4, but if you look at all the evidence we've collected and what suzuki himself has said, that's highly unlikely.

Don't self sabotage this opportunity. If we do, Sega are probably right to say F*k Shenmue, let's just focus on Yakuza and other Sega ips who would appreciate these same efforts.

This message isn't for everyone, but you already know, there's a toxic sector of the community ready to attack whatever gets announced. We should not add to that or be apart of it. Think of the long game and the bigger picture.
This message is 100 times right and correct! Spot on man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back