All Collectibles in a single playthrough - possible?

Hey guys,

New here so apologies if this has been asked before!

I've just finished the PS4 version of Shenmue about 10 years after last playing it on a friends Dreamcast. And also finishing Shenmue 2 which i'd never played before.

It was a real trip down memory lane and really made me remember why it's probably my favourite game of all time (and I can now include Shenmue 2 in that!)

So much so that i've decided to start again and go for a 100% playthrough (by that I mean seeing all the extra secret scenes, getting all the moves and cassettes and most importantly - the gacha toys!).

Has anyone ever actually done this? I've seen threads on here but most people seem to say they got everything except Hang on and Space Harrier, or they missed out on some of the lucky dip figures etc?

Am I wasting my time? It seems to me like the biggest obstacles are:

Space Harrier and Hang on 1 try certificates
Top prizes in Lucky Dips
Slot machine 50k certificate

I say this as i'm assuming whilst it takes a long time it's not impossible to get all the capsule toys from the machines providing you have the money (I know about the repeat day 4 trick)

I'm currently on 8th December and have everything from ABE store lucky dip except the Golden Dural (which I plan to attempt on the "Lucky days" 24th & 25th Dec). I also have the "jackpot" items for the 4 levels of slot machines and just over 7,000 credits (so i'm thinking it shouldn't be too hard to get the 10,000 certificate). And finally I have darts and QTE figures plus a selection of other capsule toys from 5th place finishes in the ABE store lucky dip.

Has anyone ever managed to get everything in a single playthrough? Seems crazy that they put collectibles in a game with only a 400 in 1 chance of getting it! Finally - I know some collectibles carry over into 2. Are there any really difficult to get collectibles in SHenmue 1 which are easier to pick up in Shenmue 2? I.E - is it possible to have a completed collection by the end of Shenmue 2 if you miss some from Shenmue 1?

TLDR - is it possible to get all collectibles in one playthrough of SHenmue I and if not - are there any difficult ones which are easier to get in Shenmue 2 and do all the collectibles carry over?

I have tried a 100% run a couple of times, and that's what we try to go for with our Thursday night streams. But you need both a severe amount of patience as well as a bit of luck to come close.

I don't have patience, so to get the serious amounts of money needed I use a hex editor to change Ryo's money amount, but I am not the luckiest person in the world either so landing the toy capsules can be difficult. Especially in the raffles, as you say.

The slot house certificates are not so much hard, just luck dependent, and a test of ones patience.

As for Hang On and Space Harrier, the toy capsules are not too difficult, but the certificates are a different matter altogether. If you are talking about the re-releases then good luck trying to get the Hang-On certificate in a legit manner. You need full throttle for the whole race, taking every corner perfectly, and not even slightly colliding with a single rider. I tried a lot but couldn't get to the end of stage 5. I had to resort to using the cheat in the game, where you crash into the G of the H-A-N-G O-N sign at the side of the road on stage 4, which adds a good bit of time onto the timer.
Space Harrier I have never gotten before, even with rapid fire, emulating the original DC version. As for the re-release.... good luck with that. The controls have a lag/drag effect and its impossible to control the main character with a certain degree of accuracy. Whether or not d3t fix this is unknown.

It's a difficult question to answer, because it depends on your definition of various things.

So much so that i've decided to start again and go for a 100% playthrough (by that I mean seeing all the extra secret scenes, getting all the moves and cassettes and most importantly - the gacha toys!).

It's not possible to see "all" scenes in one playthrough, depending on your definition of "all" - for example, the scene where you meet Naoyuki and Ichiro at your house has different dialog depending on whether you went to Yokosuka Bar first or not; after losing Wong each time, you get a different scene depending on which side you approach him from; and when tailing Yuan you get different camera angles outside the Moon Child Bldg. depending on which side of the fountain you go. And that's making no mention of time/weather variations...

It is, however, possible to see every scene in one playthrough if you're not interested in such variations. As far as I know there's no complete list of scenes at the moment, but there are no cutscenes which lock out other cutscenes, aside from the variations.

Similarly, it's not possible to get "all" items in one playthrough for the same reason - for example, there are six different Nozomi photos you can get, and you can only ever get one per playthrough. But you can get one of every item if you're not interested in those variations.

And I know you didn't mention it, but just for completeness: it's not possible to hear all dialogue in one playthrough - some dialogue locks out others (for example, when you're looking for Charlie and you talk to someone who tells you about Nagai Industries, you can no longer find out about Nagai Industries from any of the others, instead following different dialogue asking for directions instead).

Has anyone ever actually done this? I've seen threads on here but most people seem to say they got everything except Hang on and Space Harrier, or they missed out on some of the lucky dip figures etc?

[...]

Has anyone ever managed to get everything in a single playthrough? Seems crazy that they put collectibles in a game with only a 400 in 1 chance of getting it! Finally - I know some collectibles carry over into 2. Are there any really difficult to get collectibles in SHenmue 1 which are easier to pick up in Shenmue 2? I.E - is it possible to have a completed collection by the end of Shenmue 2 if you miss some from Shenmue 1?

TLDR - is it possible to get all collectibles in one playthrough of SHenmue I and if not - are there any difficult ones which are easier to get in Shenmue 2 and do all the collectibles carry over?

I don't know if anyone's ever done it, but it's certainly possible.

Not all of the collectibles carry over - the Mr. Yukawa figures, the four rare console figures, and the cassettes don't. If your only aim is to have a complete collectible set in Shenmue II, you don't need to worry about these at all.

Dural Gold and Silver are much easier to get in Shenmue II than in Shenmue I - there are at least two Lucky Hit boards where you can win a Dural Gold, and it's even possible to get one from a Winning Can. Meanwhile, Dural Silver can be found everywhere. Everything else seems to be about the same chance though.

As for things you can miss, it's easier to say what you can't miss. It's not possible to win Saturn games in Shenmue II, nor the two certificates you get from the Slot House in Dobuita, so it's important you get these from Shenmue I. None of the moves you can learn (either by being taught, or purchasing or finding scrolls) can be obtained in Shenmue II, so you'll need to learn all possible moves in Shenmue I. And of course, any story-specific items and photos must be collected in Shenmue I - you won't find a White Leaf or Poetry Scroll anywhere in Shenmue II.

I have tried a 100% run a couple of times, and that's what we try to go for with our Thursday night streams. But you need both a severe amount of patience as well as a bit of luck to come close.

I don't have patience, so to get the serious amounts of money needed I use a hex editor to change Ryo's money amount, but I am not the luckiest person in the world either so landing the toy capsules can be difficult. Especially in the raffles, as you say.

The slot house certificates are not so much hard, just luck dependent, and a test of ones patience.

As for Hang On and Space Harrier, the toy capsules are not too difficult, but the certificates are a different matter altogether. If you are talking about the re-releases then good luck trying to get the Hang-On certificate in a legit manner. You need full throttle for the whole race, taking every corner perfectly, and not even slightly colliding with a single rider. I tried a lot but couldn't get to the end of stage 5. I had to resort to using the cheat in the game, where you crash into the G of the H-A-N-G O-N sign at the side of the road on stage 4, which adds a good bit of time onto the timer.
Space Harrier I have never gotten before, even with rapid fire, emulating the original DC version. As for the re-release.... good luck with that. The controls have a lag/drag effect and its impossible to control the main character with a certain degree of accuracy. Whether or not d3t fix this is unknown.

Thanks mate - I'm not too fussed about how I do it so will be crashing into that G tonight when I get home!

Space Harrier sounds like it will be near impossible...do you know if you can get it on Shenmue 2 in the arcade?

Space Harrier sounds like it will be near impossible...do you know if you can get it on Shenmue 2 in the arcade?

There was a bug that prevented you from getting the toy and certificate in both games... not sure if they're fixed (not going to put any effort into trying to beat the game while the controls are still messed up).

So Gold Dural (think I actually saw this when I was getting the move scrolls at the lucky hit in Kowloon - actually did this fairly quickly. I think once you win the two scrolls it becomes a Golden Dural?) I can get which means by the sounds of things i'm still stuck trying to do the slots and the arcade stuff...

I've read that in Shenmue 2 one of the certificates is for 1m tokens??? This sounds insane - does it count if you just buy them because i'm thinking that gambling on big of small and buying tokens might actually be easier than winning them!

Thanks for your input guys. My biggest frustration on my first playthrough was finishing Shenmue 1 too early to see Fangmei's Bday (without literally spending a month doing nothing because i'd already done the Barbershop QTE). At the very least i'll aim to do what I can.

As a completionist of most games though it's infuriating that I might literally not be able to get everything!

So Gold Dural (think I actually saw this when I was getting the move scrolls at the lucky hit in Kowloon - actually did this fairly quickly. I think once you win the two scrolls it becomes a Golden Dural?) I can get which means by the sounds of things i'm still stuck trying to do the slots and the arcade stuff...

Yup. There's also another one in the Dural Room (12th floor of Thousand White Qr.), which is a little easier to win.

I've read that in Shenmue 2 one of the certificates is for 1m tokens??? This sounds insane - does it count if you just buy them because i'm thinking that gambling on big of small and buying tokens might actually be easier than winning them!

You can only buy tokens if you don't have enough, so that isn't an option. Abuse the 20-token machines and the save system, and see you in 2024...

I'm just waiting until the PC version gets all the arcade games and move training fully patched to start my own 100% playthrough. Just like you I'm also going after all capsule toys, cassetes, gacha prizes, certificates, move scrolls (and fully upgrade all of then) and secrete scenes. I'm also thinking of adding getting all notebook entries to my playthrough, but I don't know if I have the patience to visit the fortune teller so many damn times to get all the clue entries.

I'm just waiting until the PC version gets all the arcade games and move training fully patched to start my own 100% playthrough. Just like you I'm also going after all capsule toys, cassetes, gacha prizes, certificates, move scrolls (and fully upgrade all of then) and secrete scenes. I'm also thinking of adding getting all notebook entries to my playthrough, but I don't know if I have the patience to visit the fortune teller so many damn times to get all the clue entries.

The Shenmue prima guide is your friend. All of the minor secrets are there mostly. Also, there are some easily missed phone calls from Goro when you don't show up at warehouse #1. Generally its good to call all your friends every day, Nozomi is home in the morning and late at night. The other friend is home late. You get some cool scenes this way.

The Shenmue prima guide is your friend. All of the minor secrets are there mostly. Also, there are some easily missed phone calls from Goro when you don't show up at warehouse #1. Generally its good to call all your friends every day, Nozomi is home in the morning and late at night. The other friend is home late. You get some cool scenes this way.

Thanks, didn't know about the existence of this guide. Found a pdf of it online, but looks like a pdf version of the Shenmue II prima guide doesn't exist, right?

Thanks, didn't know about the existence of this guide. Found a pdf of it online, but looks like a pdf version of the Shenmue II prima guide doesn't exist, right?
I don't think prima ever published a guide for 2. There is also IGN's unofficial guides which are usually pretty good.

I stand corrected prima did publish a Shenmue 2 guide.

Nice, good luck!

Over the weekend I managed to get the hangon certificate (by crashing into the G) and get up to 23k tokens. Then just before I went to bed I won the 60k jackpot! Hang on was draining so im going to wait for space harrier!

Im up to 13th December as things stand and going to save up a bit of money before trying to get the Golden Dural on the lucky dates. I only have 2k yen and still need to buy 2 of the expensive scrolls (the rest went on cassette tapes and all the other abe store collectibles).

Im making steady progress which is enough to keep me motivated for now!

Nice, good luck!

Over the weekend I managed to get the hangon certificate (by crashing into the G) and get up to 23k tokens. Then just before I went to bed I won the 60k jackpot! Hang on was draining so im going to wait for space harrier!

Im up to 13th December as things stand and going to save up a bit of money before trying to get the Golden Dural on the lucky dates. I only have 2k yen and still need to buy 2 of the expensive scrolls (the rest went on cassette tapes and all the other abe store collectibles).

Im making steady progress which is enough to keep me motivated for now!
Good luck and keep us updated. You've done well to get to Dec 13th with all of that so far.

Getting some real luck on 13th dec.

Bought 4 tapes from tomato dobuita and won the stereo and 2 4th places (super sonic and metal sonic).

Rocked into abe store and in 8 goes I got 3 mr yukawas and 3 x 5th places

16 lucky dips I just got 10 winning tickets..

No golden dural so reloading at abe store but wondered if 13th might be any luckier?

Probably just random. Aside from the holiday luck, there are still randomized good fortune on any given day. I get so many multiples of Silver Dural and both Yukawas, plus Saturn games pretty quickly.

Haven't made much progress over last few days apart from buying some cassettes. My next story point is entering Russiya china shop but im only 16th dec so just wasting time until 24th sparring and training.

However, last night I got the Nozomi phonecall to meet in the park.

The following day I was hoping I could trigger the scene with Ryo's friends of you go into bar yokosuka. From what ive read, this triggers day after nozomi confession but it wont trigger for me?

Have I blocked it some other way?

Haven't made much progress over last few days apart from buying some cassettes. My next story point is entering Russiya china shop but im only 16th dec so just wasting time until 24th sparring and training.

However, last night I got the Nozomi phonecall to meet in the park.

The following day I was hoping I could trigger the scene with Ryo's friends of you go into bar yokosuka. From what ive read, this triggers day after nozomi confession but it wont trigger for me?

Have I blocked it some other way?
Funny thing that you mentioned this, the same thing happened to me, the scene with Ryo's friends didn't trigger despite me fulfilling all of its requirements. I didn't test a second time, but the fact you also experienced this makes me wonder if this is another bug from this port. Are you playing on PC?

The guide that says it triggers the day after Nozomi's confession is wrong.

It triggers after going to the harbour, but before meeting Master Chen. You can head home after 7pm for the base cutscene, or head to Yokosuka Bar instead for the full version.

Back