Recent content by adrenaline

1. A

Shenmue IV Will Happen - Here's Why!

Figuring/creating out a prototype that can simultaneously: Make the game-play more modern/accessible to a broader fanbase while not alienating the faithful Make the story accessible to a newer audience Use no more than the last budget of the previous game? Seems like it'd be tough...
  2. A

Shenmue 3 Sales

Because backers won't be counted towards NPD, it was probably never going to rank highly there regardless. I'm not of the opinion ranking poorly in physical retail sales is indicative that game's a flop either (obviously it wouldn't hurt in green-lighting a sequel).
  3. A

Cut content list

(this is me speculating) 1) Side characters. S1 & S2 introduced us to characters we ended up caring about (other than Ryo). This really didn't happen in S3 and given the ending sequence shoe-horned in broom girl and the dude who gave you the forklift job, I'd argue it's clear that there is...
  4. A

An episodic approach?.

Episodic content forces them to stretch their marketing budget over time. Gamers have a habit of buying in early and then a sizable amount forgetting about the game as new content is released. I think the current format makes the most sense.
  5. A

Would you be happy if Shenmue 4 was the final game?

Tbh 3 didn't add much to the story for its length, I'd rather have a condensed story which quality story-telling than long-drawn out filler and non-existent character development. So, I'd be OK w/the story ending at 4.
  6. A

Shenmue IV is not currently in development - Romain Mahut

The game only came out a short while ago, and the team was crunching to polish what they had. As it isn't a long-running franchise, obviously a sequel will be contingent on sales. Not sure if this is really news at this point.
  7. A

Shenmue 3 Sales

^ reading through this thread and I think a lot of people are overlooking this. It's a PC (majority DD) and PS4 (sizeable plurality DD) game. Sales ranking charts won't capture this and will be further skewed from the fact Kickstarter backers (a demographic which overlaps heavily w/ppl who buy...
  8. A

Shenmue 3 Sales

In this day and age the majority of PC sales will be digital and a sizeable amount of the PS4 sales will be as well. Gleaning if the game hit sales expectations via ranking charts such as NPD probably won't be useful. There's also the issue w/the fact backers don't buy a copy, which will make...
  9. A

Would you have accepted a third delay?

To echo other people in this thread. I'm not sure it'd have helped. S3's biggest miss was the story and character development. I suspect another delay would've gone to making combat more enjoyable or smoothing of rough edges in the game-world.
Back