Random Shenmue III Thoughts

This man right here gets Shenmue! Hits the nail right on the head! I think that’s why I’ve always partially loved Shenmue. I grew up with a love of Sierra adventure games (I grew up with the Police and Space Quest series) and to some degree, Shenmue did feel like an evolution of the adventure game. I think that’s why it clicked for me all those years ago and why I instantly became a fan. Nice to see it described in video form though...but yeah, THIS is why I scoff when people tell me Yakuza is like Shenmue...because it ain’t...it really ain’t. (I know, I’m preaching to the choir, but I thought this video was worth a look...sorry if it’s been posted before)

It’s like when I’m at the point in the story looking for the Rose Garden like Ryo doesn’t know what or where it is, even though I’ve spent days prior to this story point kicking mega ass there already.
This kind of thing isn’t new though. This kind of thing happened a lot in the first few games too. Remember how Tom has no memory of the black car until Nozomi tells you to that he argued with the driver or how Ryo is told that Charlie has a tattoo about 20 times before he finally decides to check out the tattoo parlor?

This kind of thing isn’t new though. This kind of thing happened a lot in the first few games too. Remember how Tom has no memory of the black car until Nozomi tells you to that he argued with the driver or how Ryo is told that Charlie has a tattoo about 20 times before he finally decides to check out the tattoo parlor?

Tom had no clue about Warehouse Number 8...even though he literally parks his van right outside the gates to Old Warehouse Number 8 :D

This man right here gets Shenmue! Hits the nail right on the head! I think that’s why I’ve always partially loved Shenmue. I grew up with a love of Sierra adventure games (I grew up with the Police and Space Quest series) and to some degree, Shenmue did feel like an evolution of the adventure game. I think that’s why it clicked for me all those years ago and why I instantly became a fan. Nice to see it described in video form though...but yeah, THIS is why I scoff when people tell me Yakuza is like Shenmue...because it ain’t...it really ain’t. (I know, I’m preaching to the choir, but I thought this video was worth a look...sorry if it’s been posted before)

Mate, I completely agree having grown up with Sierra games as well. Police Quest and King’s Quest, oh and Leisure Suit Larry of course, were my favourites (probably because I had more access to them at the time), although I remember Space Quest being great as well.

edit: excellent video too.

Last edited:
I agree about some others, but Tom clearly sound suspicious and seem to know something that he don't want to talk about at first, and it's when Ryo come back to tell him that nozomi heard a rumor about him having an argument with the black car that he reluctantly say what he know.

and there it is, deservingly time to get roasted

Eithe

Me too man! I grew up with point and click adventure games starting with Monkeys Island, Loom, Kings Quest V, Ecoquest, Blue Force, Zork, Space Quest IV. My best memories were the fantastic artwork and exploring.

I still play modern adventures, recent ones being broken sword, the pillars of the earth, a new beginning, the moment of silence, nibiru etc.

Ryo has a hard time remembering things. We see this many times throughout the game. Seems to have forgotten everything Zu Yuanda told him in S2.

That's a problem I had with the game. Many times, I feel I am regarded as a dumb person from the designer's perspective: unnecessary flashbacks, Ryo's captain obvious eureka, puzzles design, Ryo immediately revealing the solution after I fail the puzzle for the first time, ridiculous easy fights in the ultimate hour, drawers (non-)gameplay, (non-)revelations, and goes on.

I could understand this view in Shenmue 1 & 2 because adventure 3D games were still a new thing. But in Shenmue 3, it seems like they pushed the slider a bit too far.

Maybe it's just fan service or could it be Yu's obsession for designing accessible games? We know he somehow ended to dislike the elitism of Virtua Fighter and seems always moved when he sees little kids playing his games.

Eithe

Me too man! I grew up with point and click adventure games starting with Monkeys Island, Loom, Kings Quest V, Ecoquest, Blue Force, Zork, Space Quest IV. My best memories were the fantastic artwork and exploring.

I still play modern adventures, recent ones being broken sword, the pillars of the earth, a new beginning, the moment of silence, nibiru etc.

Revolution’s Broken sword games are absolute classicS. So was their predecessor Beneath a Steel Sky. There’s a new one coming out called Beyond a Steel Sky on Apple Arcade I believe.

At least on hard mode I can confirm this didn't happen in the watch-tower puzzle. I failed an embarrassing amount of times before I figured out what the paper was telling me to do...

I never figured it out and just went through it by elimination of combinations :p

There were one or two tokens that I got mixed up but figured it out eventually. I actually thought that was a really thrilling moment in the game even if the reveal itself wasn't very fulfilling. I like when this series throws the occasional puzzle at you.

"Shenhua, what is Hermit's Nest like?" - Ryo

And then he tells Shenhua he's already been there.

Gotta love that localization.

It’s like when I’m at the point in the story looking for the Rose Garden like Ryo doesn’t know what or where it is, even though I’ve spent days prior to this story point kicking mega ass there already.
I can't believe some of the things you guys are choosing to nitpick over with this game. As if this never happened in the first two games?! The only difference is that Ryo very rarely acknowledged that he already knew something about whatever he was asking about. So to me, this is actually an improvement.

I can't believe some of the things you guys are choosing to nitpick over with this game. As if this never happened in the first two games?! The only difference is that Ryo very rarely acknowledged that he already knew something about whatever he was asking about. So to me, this is actually an improvement.
just cause its a problem in the first game doesn't mean its excusable for a sequel to do it, and terrible localization that likely has led to harsher review scores and caused a plothole is far from a nitpick. The game's translation was very bad and if it werent for the occasional machine translated game we get every now and again, id say its the worst in recent years.

just cause its a problem in the first game doesn't mean its excusable for a sequel to do it, and terrible localization that likely has led to harsher review scores and caused a plothole is far from a nitpick. The game's translation was very bad and if it werent for the occasional machine translated game we get every now and again, id say its the worst in recent years.

Honestly, the translation feels like a first draft that never made it to second. I won’t profess to be an expert but it’s very hit and miss as whole with what I’ve seen and heard. At times it is right on the money, other times it takes too many liberties and botches a few things

Back