Will we see Shenmue I & II announced for Nintendo Switch?

For those who don't know, Kevin was the one who interviewed Ryan Payton on his podcast, Back in my Play, which revealed some information on how Shenmue III came to be. He's also had John from Digital Foundry on to discuss the Shenmue I & II port.

I know the tweet read like he was making an announcement, but his #larrabeelock hashtag is partly tongue-in-cheek and aimed at his followers who are "in on the joke". Doesn't mean he just made it up. He obviously believes it for a reason, but I don't think he anticipated people picking it up and using it as "proof", hence the deletion.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. Hopefully it isn't just speculation on his part and he has some legit sources somewhere that tipped him off or something real that he's basing this all on or something.

I'm a giant Nintendo nerd so if this happens I will be very pleased. It's possible it could be a SEGA AGES release which would possibly make it the best HD version of the game. I vaguely remember SEGA mentioning SEGA AGES Dreamcast games.

I'm a giant Nintendo nerd so if this happens I will be very pleased. It's possible it could be a SEGA AGES release which would possibly make it the best HD version of the game. I vaguely remember SEGA mentioning SEGA AGES Dreamcast games.
Since d3t have already completed the gargantuan task of porting both games to modern platforms, I don't think SEGA would then pay M2 to do the exact same thing for SEGA AGES. I think we'll be getting the same d3t version and, who knows, maybe it'll get a few more bug fixes. When M2 eventually start porting Saturn/Dreamcast games, I think they'll begin with games of a much smaller scope. Arcade-style stuff.

32gb, with 64gb coming... soon... But developers never go above 16gb and some won't even go above 8gb or even 4gb and force you to download more than half the game.
If Shenmue I & II gets a physical release on Switch, you can bet your bottom dollar SEGA will try and be as cheap as possible. It'd be interesting to know what type of Switch carts they've used for their other physical releases. I could look it up but I'm at work (and can't be bothered).

I hope i'm wrong but yeah, i can see SEGA going as cheap as possible with this to the point were i wouldn't even be surprised if we just get a eShop digital only download.

If Shenmue I & II gets a physical release on Switch, you can bet your bottom dollar SEGA will try and be as cheap as possible. It'd be interesting to know what type of Switch carts they've used for their other physical releases. I could look it up but I'm at work (and can't be bothered).

Sega tend to save space on Switch releases without requiring mandatory downloads. For example, with the recent Team Sonic Racing release Sega removed the intro FMV video from the Switch release. Some companies use better compression methods. For example, Rayman Legends on the Switch is identical to other versions of the game, except the file size is smaller from greater use of compression.

Sega have never released any games on the Switch that force mandatory downloads as far as I know. Companies do like doing it with collections though (e.g. With the Final Fantasy X HD Collection, X-2 is a download code in the box and X is on the cartridge), so it could be the first for them (if it's even real), but I hope not.

Edit: It could go either way, but people saying Sega will cheap out should know the company has actually been very decent with Switch releases. They are one of the few companies to do everything to avoid mandatory downloads.

Sega tend to save space on Switch releases without requiring mandatory downloads. For example, with the recent Team Sonic Racing release Sega removed the intro FMV video from the Switch release. Some companies use better compression methods. For example, Rayman Legends on the Switch is identical to other versions of the game, except the file size is smaller from greater use of compression.

Sega have never released any games on the Switch that force mandatory downloads as far as I know. Companies do like doing it with collections though (e.g. With the Final Fantasy X HD Collection, X-2 is a download code in the box and X is on the cartridge), so it could be the first for them (if it's even real), but I hope not.

Edit: It could go either way, but people saying Sega will cheap out should know the company has actually been very decent with Switch releases. They are one of the few companies to do everything to avoid mandatory downloads.
That's good to know. However, I think they fit both STR and Valkyria Chronicles 4 onto 8GB carts, which tells me they probably don't want to go up to 16GB, unless there are examples of larger SEGA games I'm not thinking of. So I wonder if they can fit Shenmue I & II on a 8GB cart without further destroying the VO? I don't know much about compression technology so I honestly don't know.

That's good to know. However, I think they fit both STR and Valkyria Chronicles 4 onto 8GB carts, which tells me they probably don't want to go up to 16GB, unless there are examples of larger SEGA games I'm not thinking of. So I wonder if they can fit Shenmue I & II on a 8GB cart without further destroying the VO? I don't know much about compression technology so I honestly don't know.

I highly doubt Shenmue 1 or 2 could be compressed any further. They could remove both intro FMVs and any "unnecessary" extras or make them optional downloads, but I suspect that would still piss off Shenmue fans (although having them as optional downloads seems fair to me).

Actually, one thing they could do is provide the Japanese voice track as an optional download. I'd be fine with that, I guess...

Still, I doubt any of the above will bring the file size down enough to be on a 8gb cart... so who knows? Sega have yet to force players to download anything with any of their other releases, but like you said, they don't seem to have been in a position before where the minimum cart size they can use is 16gb.

32gb, with 64gb coming... soon... But developers never go above 16gb and some won't even go above 8gb or even 4gb and force you to download more than half the game.

Dragon Quest Heroes 1+2 actually released on a 32gb cart. It made the game more expensive however.

I really want it to be on Switch. I thought it was a massive mistake to not put it on switch on release as I think Nintendo fans are VERY conducive to games that offer different experiences. Nintendo game players are often fierce defenders of games that cut from another cloth, that require patience, and are about having a different mindset or approach to them than the standard AAA game. We're talking about fans that rabidly played Monster Hunter games for instance. Another good example would be Animal Crossing, where a lot of time is spent talking to people, collecting objects, and immersing yourself in its world. Sound familiar? I'd even argue that Shenmue is directly comparable to Animal Crossing and have used it multiple times to successfully show its appeal to potential Nintendo fans, all of whom seem interested due to the titles unique qualities. While it's painting with a broad brush, Sony and MS fans are far more likely to like more Hollywood AAA titles that reward instant gratification more than Nintendo fans who are typically more old school. Match made in heaven for Shenmue.

I've revised my stance on the matter: I say the more the merrier.
Not really a portable guy for such engrossing experiences, but if it helps bring $$$ to the franchise coffers, by all means release this puppy.

There’s some “hints” Shenmue III’s co-producer is retweeting again that may elude to a megaton being revealed during Nintendo Direct tomorrow...

Back