Magic Monaco Press Conference March 9th 2019 Part 2 Discussion and Reaction

Status
Not open for further replies.
I enjoyed, but i'm sure this trailer was cut from an excerpt of some throw away trailer for kickstarter fans. (Us)
Depending how the promotion goes, if we don't see anything new by E3 its definitely gonna get another delay.

About the discrepancies in character, I feel like they wanted to go very anime style, and if it's drawn, the differences between typical anime and more cartoony doesn't appear as contrasting as in high def 3D.
I don't mind the approach, for example on the drunk master, it doesn't really bothers me, but on the muscle guy and the old fat guy, it looks like it belongs somewhere.
But also, Ryo also used to have that glossy finish and now the shader is looking a lot better.

Also, despite Cedric tweeting images of the glorious current build to drum up anticipation, the trailer was of an older build. Why???
Was this explicitly said anywhere?

I mean obviously it was a technically an older build because of the time spent in editing, but it's not that old.

I don’t get how people aren’t freaking out over how good this looks, though.

giphy.gif

THAT'S Shenmue. When I saw that in the trailer, I literally cried. Absolutely magical, did anyone else feel it too?

About the discrepancies in character, I feel like they wanted to go very anime style, and if it's drawn, the differences between typical anime and more cartoony doesn't appear as contrasting as in high def 3D.
I don't mind the approach, for example on the drunk master, it doesn't really bothers me, but on the muscle guy and the old fat guy, it looks like it belongs somewhere.
But also, Ryo also used to have that glossy finish and now the shader is looking a lot better.
And comparing to the old games, we have to take into account the time and the psychology behind it. At the time Shenmue was realistic AF, there weren't that many games like it, now we know how HD realistic models look like, to we have another standard. It's not the same comparison (and I do think that the originals didn't look cartoony).

I like Ryo's and Shenhua's models more than the originals, also I feel the voice acting is actually better from what little we've heard, the game looks really crisp despite some... uh, questionable character models that look like caricatures, but honestly, even if it stays like that, I'll gladly take it. I would prefer better but I know the realities of the game even existing in the first place. So yeah, it's not perfect, and I don't think it looks amazing but I think it is adequate for what it is. Anyway, more than anything, and I think a bigger problem personally for me, is how I am still disappointed we haven't seen any real gameplay clips at all.

And no, I'm not talking about private showings. I want to see the game. They have 5 months left and we haven't seen anything. That's frankly unacceptable to me.

My biggest gripe with the entire trailer was just the facial animation at the beginning when Ryo was laying on the ground. It reminded me of those ridiculous Walking Dead games by Telltale. I hope they fix this.

Other than that I loved the trailer!

Also another thing to note, as that maybe some characters are meant to feel "out there", there's a trope in japanese games that make people diegetically look like they don't belong (yakuza and ace attorney are some of the best "realistic" examples).
So they maybe want the fist of the north star guy, be the fist of the north star guy, being unvelievably though to play it almost as comedy, that stuff works wonders in Yakuza (and is the main part of the charm).
Kinda weird that the originals also had these type of guys, for example jianmin, that is a comedy relief at some points, but always played kinda straight.
Maybe YS approach just changed in the 14 years hiatus.

I don’t get how people aren’t freaking out over how good this looks, though.

giphy.gif

I actually loved that part.

A big problem I have with the super defenders is that because some of us have criticized the direction of some of the NPCs that we don't think the game looks good. I made a sizable post earlier in the thread about how great I think the game looks and that the NPC design is my only problem. But from the way you've written your post it'd be as if I and others have said the game looks like awful. I don't. That gif you posted is my favorite part of the trailer and looks FANTASTIC. It's as if some people take one criticism as if it's to mean that we think the game looks overall. Such an attitude is immature, juvenile, and fanboy-ish.

I want to see the game. They have 5 months left and we haven't seen anything. That's frankly unacceptable to me.

yeah. i mean its nice to see some scenery and (totally random) dialogue interactions
but wheres the actual gameplay?

we have 5 seconds of real fighting and thats it.
no scenes of Ryo walking around in third person, no action / cinematic qte scene,
no gameplay scenes of the jobs and activities, no footage of npcs walking around or working and so on ...

so far, all we saw is maybe 25% of a Shenmue game.
we have absolutely no idea how the HUD and third person perspective even looks like.

A big problem I have with the super defenders is that because some of us have criticized the direction of some of the NPCs that we don't think the game looks good. I made a sizable post earlier in the thread about how great I think the game looks and that the NPC design is my only problem. But from the way you've written your post it'd be as if I and others have said the game looks like awful. I don't. That gif you posted is my favorite part of the trailer and looks FANTASTIC. It's as if some people take one criticism as if it's to mean that we think the game looks overall. Such an attitude is immature, juvenile, and fanboy-ish.

There's a difference between respectful criticism and insults.

I don't know if this has been missed, but VG247 has confirmed they were one of the websites invited to see a playable build behind closed doors. They say they saw around 15 minutes of the game in motion. They confirmed that the animations do look dodgy at times, but that what they saw looked promising. They will post an article on their first thoughts later this week.

yeah. i mean its nice to see some scenery and (totally random) dialogue interactions
but wheres the actual gameplay?

we have 5 seconds of real fighting and thats it.
no scenes of Ryo walking around in third person, no action / cinematic qte scene,
no gameplay scenes of the jobs and activities, no footage of npcs walking around or working and so on ...

so far, all we saw is maybe 25% of a Shenmue game.
we have absolutely no idea how the HUD and third person perspective even looks like.

This has to be the most elusive game I've ever seen. It's either highly incomplete or Yu Suzuki is deliberately trolling us.

There's a difference between respectful criticism and insults.

That's fair. I'm not sure why you'd single me out when people who called literal narcissists earlier.

Either way, the comment wasn't directed at mjq and I apologize to him if he takes it that way. I'm talking about the overall sentiment on the Dojo and else where. Any criticism is treated with fierce antagonism even if you think the overall game looks fantastic. It's like if you don't think the game doesn't look perfect then enemy number 1. The defense is very rabid and often misdirected.

Last edited:
I don't know if this has been missed, but VG247 has confirmed they were one of the websites invited to see a playable build behind closed doors. They say they saw around 15 minutes of the game in motion. They confirmed that the animations do look dodgy at times, but that what they saw looked promising. They will post an article on their first thoughts later this week.

I really, really, REALLY hope the game will be delayed. 6 months isn't enough time to fix these sorts of issues. YSNet is going to need another 3-6 months on top of the remaining 6.

I think the publishing company needs to step in and hard handling things. That’s where things seem to be going awry.

I really, really, REALLY hope the game will be delayed. 6 months isn't enough time to fix these sorts of issues. YSNet is going to need another 3-6 months on top of the remaining 6.
I don't mean to be disrespectful to yourself, but as an outsider looking in to the development process, I really don't think you're in any position to be making assertions like that.

Was this explicitly said anywhere?

You can definitely tell its older when comparing it with more recent screenshots we've had.

Makes you wonder what the current build looks like in motion.

You people will hate me for noticing this, because once you'll notice it it too, you will get distracted af. :")

It seems Shenhua has physics applied to her ear lobule. Which means when her earrings move, her ear lobule (the lower part where earrings are attached) move too.

Details, details... :")
Mm. I noticed this too, and admittedly it's a pretty neat detail. They're not quite finished setting the physics though, considering the earring "drops" in the scene where she's nursing Ryo and swings about a bit madly.

But also, the hem of her tunic has some physics applied that you can see right at the start of the trailer. Presumably as she kneels over Ryo to check if he's okay.

Personally, for me it's the angle. I hate it. The animations are good but the angle just gives me a headache.
It's for cinematic effect within the trailer. Screens we've seen obviously have some form of freecam.

6 months isn't enough time to fix these sorts of issues. YSNet is going to need another 3-6 months on top of the remaining 6.
We can't be sure on this either way. What we do know is that Ys Net don't tend to bullshit us when it comes to honestly showing where the game is right now - it was the same for Gamescom 2017, and The Prophecy trailer - so if this is the general standard of where they're at now they could pull it off in the remaining five months before going Gold.

I would really suggest taking a good technical look watching that trailer and this one back to back, and observing the large and small improvements along the way. They've only got three months less than that gap, which should hopefully be enough time for the animators to make a few more passes through the game.

They could get caught out on the sheer volume of the work, but we'll have to wait and see.

You can definitely tell its older when comparing it with more recent screenshots we've had.

Makes you wonder what the current build looks like in motion.
This was sort of touched on earlier on a previous page with Rikitatsu, and I didn't really see it. Honestly it's pretty clear it's roughly a similar build as the screens, at least. In what respect does it look older? (genuinely curious, even if it sounds a bit standoffish)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back